Author Topic: Samantha keeps waking and crying. Is she having nightmares?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline rache

• Kitten
Re: Samantha keeps waking and crying. Is she having nightmares?
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 16:03:23 PM »
Mine does this all the time - whenever she wakes up and we're sat with her. I think it's just "I'm awake now - why aren't you stroking me!" But she is generally quite a vocal ca who never misses an opprtunity for a chat!! :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
Ah right - I just wondered as kidney probs can mask thyroid probs, but I got the wrong cat!!
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 16:42:31 PM »
my black and white cat Smudge used to 'talk in her sleep and wake up somewhat confused sometimes-did ask vet about it and she said it was normal. Smudge was quiet Young when she used to do that.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
Just had a closer look at  her fur, and she does look a bit 'spikey' this morning.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
No, this isn't the one with the wonky kidneys, that's Polly. This is the slightly younger one - she's 17. She's in good condition for her age, though moulting a little at the moment. She washes Polly, who is fluffier, so is prone to furball. She's eating well. She makes a similar odd kind of feral moaning when she takes a lump of food (mashing it doesn't help) from her bowl and carries it into another room to eat - as though she's warning off anyone who might pinch it. She's always done this.

It occurred to me that over the last 6wks or so, I've spent two weekends away - visiting my mother. During this time P and S have been left for 48hrs with large bowls of food. They've been fine when I've returned. But it's around that time that this behaviour started. So I'm thinking she may be waking up worried about whether I'm here. She's fine after I speak to her.

I have been thinking about taking both cats for an old lady's MOT. I probably won't have bloods done unless the vet suggests it, but it would help if the vet could take a good look at them. They like one particular vet - a female who handles them so well that the silly cats think she's fussing them!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:06:08 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 22:08:20 PM »
What is her fur condition like Hippy? Is this the one with wonky kidneys?
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 14:25:50 PM »
Yep, that's what my Old Mog does as well. She hates vet trips too, but she's going next week whether she wants to or not!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
Thanks, I think I might take her to Mrs Vet for a check. She isn't losing weight though, Desley. Nevertheless, this is odd behaviour for her. She won't like it when she sees the cage! (Maybe that's what she's having nightmares about!!!).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
Time for a vet check - can be a sign of hyper-t, but can be other things, such as just getting a bit confused when they wake up in the dark.
Please spay your cat

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »
Both of my dark torties do this, one is an old girl,

Funny you should say that because my Tango what I call  a Brindle amd you can many others call Dark Tortie did this too.

A friend of mine had another dark tortie who would cry *constantly* throughout the night when she lost her sister and got older, she had a whole ream of health issues tho.

When I adopted our young dark tortie she was referred to in her CP papers as brindle and I had no idea what it meant at the time, I'd never heard the term before.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »
Both of my dark torties do this, one is an old girl,

Funny you should say that because my Tango what I call  a Brindle amd you can many others call Dark Tortie did this too.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:34:17 AM »
Both of my dark torties do this, one is an old girl, and tho she has always done it, it has got more evident as she gets older ( could be me noticing more tho as you get more paranoid as they get older ).
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Samantha keeps waking and crying. Is she having nightmares?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:08 AM »
Samantha, one of my oldies, has started to wake up making a horrid crying noise. She does this several times during a sleepy time. It's like she doesn't know where she is and feels scared. I try to reassure her that she's quite safe with myself and Polly, and she'll eventually calm and go back to sleep.
This is happening so much that I'm beginning to wonder whether there could be something other than nightmares going on. In every other way she's fine: eats like a piglet, chases Polly, demands attention from me and is her normal self.

Has anyone else got a cat who does this?

Link to CatChat