Author Topic: Kay - a lovely old girl awaiting a home, Chesterfield RSPCA (Sorted)  (Read 8341 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Kay - a lovely old girl awaiting a home, Chesterfield RSPCA (Sorted)
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:23 AM »
Me too  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:08:42 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Kay - a lovely old girl awaiting a home, Chesterfield RSPCA
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 21:19:41 PM »
She's disappeared. Hope she got a good home.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 21:48:25 PM »
I noticed that the other day and forgot to update.  :-[

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 21:44:53 PM »
Just checked again - Kay is showing as "available for adoption" now  :(

So she is still looking for her forever home.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
;D That's brilliant news - I've kept checking and there was nothing the other day so I'm really pleased! Fingers crossed xx

So do I  :) - saw she had a 'hold' on her.  :crossed:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
 ;D That's brilliant news - I've kept checking and there was nothing the other day so I'm really pleased! Fingers crossed xx

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
Yay! I hope this turns out to be your forever home Kay!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Kay has a hold on her..... :)

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
She is such a lovely looking kitty. I hope she finds her forever home soon! Good Luck Kay! :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 21:04:09 PM »
http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk/cat_adoption_page4.html

She actually looks really well in the picture!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 21:05:46 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
Well said and couldn't agree more  :hug:

Ditto - no point adding to it as I agree with all points.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »
I don't moderate in this section as a rule*, Skully, but your post was apposite and your point well-made.

*On reflection, this part of my observation could possibly be interpreted as a criticism of JaneyK and I wish to make it absolutely clear that it is not  :hug:

Back on topic: This lovely old lady is waiting for her new home. 16 years old and apparently has moments of playing like a kitten. She's friendly and affectionate. Not sure how she is with other animals as this was never mentioned in the correspondence.

If you can offer her a home, call Chesterfield RSPCA between 10 and 4 any day except (I think) Wednesdays. (01246) 273358
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:28:15 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
I'm fairly sure that post won't cause offence, Skully. :)

The issue is everyone is human and has a different opinion of what's urgent, I guess. But I do agree about the thread's going off topic, and I'll endeavour to keep any disagreements I have regarding where a topic is posted off the threads. ;)

Back on topic: This lovely old lady is waiting for her new home. 16 years old and apparently has moments of playing like a kitten. She's friendly and affectionate. Not sure how she is with other animals as this was never mentioned in the correspondence.

If you can offer her a home, call Chesterfield RSPCA between 10 and 4 any day except (I think) Wednesdays. (01246) 273358

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »
Well said and couldn't agree more  :hug:

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
I know I'm fairly new to this forum, but for the last few days I've wanted to say this but bitten my tongue and cancelled posting about 5 times what I want to say because I don't want to cause offence, but now I just feel I have to say something.

I have been looking at the "Urgent" forum and in most of the threads that have been moved there, or originally posted there, the issue of the cat trying to be homed has been clouded by people arguing/discussing whether the thread should be in that forum or not. I've found this very off putting and it is leading me not to want to bother looking in that forum at all, as it makes me angry to see people jumping on the thread poster, or the admin that move the thread there, questioning their motive for putting the thread in that forum.

Yes I understand that if there is a forum for cats in urgent need that forum must be policed to make sure that other cases don't creep in there and clutter it up, but shouldn't that be up to the mods to decide and if there is an issue that needs clarifying about a case posted there, that instead of a public discussion/argument being held in the thread, that distracts from the actual cat(s) in question, that the discussion happens in private messages.

Surely it can't just be me that feels this way? I fear it is going to inevitably disadvantage those cats most in need of rehoming if, like me, people stop looking in that forum because of the way some people feel the need to publicly chastise anyone posting there.

I personally had no problem with JS posting Kay's case as urgent because very often old cats that get taken into the RSPCA are put down, whether they are ill or not. I've had an RSPCA officer tell me in the past that if the centres get too full they just pick a bunch of the old cats and bruisers and have them PTS to make space for the easier to home kittens and pretty cats, so I would class any elderly cat about to be sent to the RSPCA as an emergency case. I know not all RSPCA centres are run in the same way, but you just never seem to be able to tell until it is too late when it comes down to the RSPCA euthanasia policies.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Lovely old lady on Freecycle, needs a home ASAP - Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »
Yep, I know - just called myself.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
I've just got through and been assured that she won't be pts unless she was to be ill and the vet advised to do so.  She has been returned and is back up for rehoming.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
Yes I know I called earlier :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
Janey, I'm already calling them. They don't open for another quarter of an hour anyway.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
I'll see if I can find out what the situation is

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »
JS do you know which branch of the RSPCA she has been returned to? Do we know if they will rehome her or pts?

I'm assuming Chesterfield. And no I don't know if they'll rehome or PTS - hence wanting to put her in the urgent section and being told it wasn't.... :tired: (Sorry, but I felt Kay was a genuinely urgent case.)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »
Which branch is that?

crossposted with you Moira  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:14:24 AM by Janeyk »

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »
JS do you know which branch of the RSPCA she has been returned to? Do we know if they will rehome her or pts?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
Kay has been returned to the RSPCA.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
I'm completely lost. Yes, she's still with the chap, no there's no other interest from the (somewhat risky) post on the local Freecycle. Yes, she is likely to be given up on at the local RSPCA if they take her back....how is that not a situation that puts her at risk?

Obviously, I'll be keeping up correspondence to find out what happens with Kay. I emailed last night but haven't received a response yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:34:48 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
Right, so the cat is still with the chap and not gone back to RSPCA yet.

Regarding involvements with RSPCA it’s a difficult one and I’ve been mulling this one over all morning as I really wouldn't want anything to happen to the cat but also have to follow the guide.

The problem is it seems, is that RSPCAs have different policies.  I know of one which doesn’t pts and one which does so the only way to find out the cat’s fate is to check on their policies if possible.   However, if the chap got the cat from the RSPCA in the first place then they seem like one of the better centres who don't pts.  The better one I know of has had cats returned but still didn’t pts they found the cats new homes. 

The cat is in a safe place right now although needing a new home asap and I understand the uncertainty regarding going back to RSPCA.  So I’m moving that back to Rescue section, it still shows that the cat needs a home ASAP -  but would be grateful if we can keep a check on this and find out if the cat’s back with the RSPCA and if things sound more urgent or there’s just uncertainty we’ll definitely move it back to Urgent section as I’d rather be more lenient and the cat be in that section than risk pts.   :thanks:  :hug:  

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:12:38 AM by Janeyk »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:41 AM »
The full story appears to be that the RSPCA homed Kay 4 months ago to a blind man who has decided he can't cope with her. I'm fairly sure there's no option for her to go back after such a short amount of time, but felt it was too urgent with her age to wait to post.

She's due to go back to the RSPCA if they can't find her anywhere from what I can see - and I think we're agreed the general consensus is that if she goes back there's a large possibility she'll be deemed "unhomeable" and we all know what happens to cats like that there....

So: Location: Chesterfield, Urgency: Pretty urgent if you have little faith in the largest UK animal charity :shify: Is that clear enough?

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:56:46 AM »
If this cat is in a rescue but there’s a problem and an urgent transfer or place is needed then I’m happy for the cat to be in this section, but if the cat is 'safe' in a rescue then it shouldn't be in this section - so that’s what we need to find out if possible please   :hug:

Why is the cat advertised on Freecycle if she's with the RSPCA?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:02:13 AM by Janeyk »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 00:19:42 AM »
So the cat is with RSPCA?

If so sadly it should not be in this section because it effectively is safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Albeit due to its age I dont think it will be but nobody on here can take it unless they rehome from RSPCA

Please read the notes for this section cos only cats that fall into the categories stated can be posted here because otherwise the whole point of the section does not work. Any other cats go in the normal section as before.

We have like Amy has said for them, got to ensure that only truely urgent cases are in here...................cats due to be pts in x days. on street with nowhere to go like Asbo and Tina and so many others.

Or penned up like the other cat in here cos or wrong circunastances for it.

I know this is hard but thats why this section ws made so we could tell the reallu utgent from those who are in safety albeit limited.

As you knpw many on Purrs try and pull out all stops for the very urgent but we were getting too many with urgent in title and nobody could tell which were which, so this section will be very very strict.

Full details must be known before posting so that we know location of the cat and the situation.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 20:44:48 PM »
Thanks Amy.

The full story appears to be that the RSPCA homed Kay 4 months ago to a blind man who has decided he can't cope with her. I'm fairly sure there's no option for her to go back after such a short amount of time, but felt it was too urgent with her age to wait to post.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 20:38:22 PM »
Hi JS, got your PM. We have a long old waiting list at the moment as well as new kittens to deal with. As I don't have the full story I know that the cats who are literally being picked up from the streets would be higher up the list than a cat who is in a home and advertised on Freecycle. We don't even get chance to look there; as soon as one's homed another comes in without the extra stress of the free ads.

Sorry I can't help but I hope the sweet little lady finds a home soon, she looks like she deserves it  :Luv2:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 20:19:18 PM »
He's had her for about 4 months, she is 16yrs old and a cutie. She likes to play and if you shout her she comes, she is more like a dog than a cat. She loves to lick you and wash you then wash herself and use you as a towel. Then when she has done she sticks her tongue out and looks at you with big green eyes, her owner would adore her if he could see her. She is adorable and cute; she's the only cat I know that rolls over for you to tickle her belly without wanting to kill you after 5 minutes. Will find out tomorrow if RSPCA have taken her, I'm his p/a twice a week.

This is the most recent correspondence. (Edited to make sense!) Unfortunately, I think legally if he's only had Kay this amount of time she has to be returned. She'll be ID chipped, so even if she went elsewhere she'd be traced.

Gill, sorry if you don't feel this should be here.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 17:53:59 PM »
what i am saying js is that until a prp[er story is known, no info is useful.

so until that is known nothing  should be posted because it is confusing to everyone.

having to type this short an szweet cos too far from keyboard

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 17:39:25 PM »
Gill, it's on my local Freecycle. Please don't take this the wrong way but I resent the implication that I click through purely to post up cats on here....believe me that's not the case. On a low income a resource like Freecycle when used correctly is quite a valuable asset as well as being a wonderful idea ecologically.

I'm getting as much information as I can as fast as I can. I deem this urgent as to me the cat looks like it needs help; isn't that what rescue is? I'm not trying to put more pressure on rescues, but this girl is on a site I use daily for household resources and I for one find that disturbing.

Sorry if this causes offence.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 17:30:19 PM »
I didnt want to interfere here but I think before adding cats in this section or any other needing homes, the full correct story must be known.

While we have loads of sympathy for cats needing help its pointless just clicking tghrough sites and picking things up that are useless.

Its wasting everyones time.

Get a full story from the owner of the cat , or from where ever the cat is or leave it alone please..................cant do smilies cos lappy wont let me

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 15:34:18 PM »
The story posted here still doesnt add up; think whoever is posting for him needs to be a bit more truthful.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 15:28:10 PM »
Someone's "posting on his behalf." This appears to happen frequently with animals; almost like the posters don't want to be associated directly.... >:(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 14:34:30 PM »
A few things dont ring true here; How long has the old man had this cat ? Surely rspca dont rehome cats in that state and with scruffy collars, come on folks we know in this condition she would have been pts if she had been at rspca.

Meanwhile I would say she at least needs a vet,she doesnt seem to be grooming herself and her mouth looks suspect, her body is not in proportion either. Can we find out more ? and maybe get some truthful answers from old man.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
http://www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/

Is it worth approaching this rescue, she does post on here and I notice from her post is prepared to travel to take freecycle cats in from miles away. Worth a try.

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Re: Lovely old lady on Freecycle, needs a home ASAP - Derbyshire (Sorted)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
Wow she does look in a bit of a bad way.

Do you know just how old she is. If she is over 15 and is just showing her age then maybe she has just lost condition due to the stress of being rehomed, but if she is younger I'd say she looks really bad. Her paws look really grubby as if she hasn't been washing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:07:57 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat