Author Topic: Can anyone reccommend a good yet reasonable microchip scanner??  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Can anyone reccommend a good yet reasonable microchip scanner??
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »
There used to be someone who helped rescues get a scanner, it's how we got ours, but I can't for the life of me think what she is called. Will search through my e-mails and see if I can find her details for you. I can't understand why the vets are reluctant, mine have always scanned strays for free (and sometimes thrown in a free checkover).
Please spay your cat

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 00:33:02 AM »
I did see those ones and also thought they looked a bit pants lol!

That good one is still on that awful site, I never normally use it cos I've only heard bad things! I'll speak to OH and see if we can afford to outlay the cost and fundraise to get it back...at the month our Petsearch is in deficit after our first fundraising attempt but hey!! Its in Holloway, so straight down the M1 which is handy.  If not I'll just have to get fundraising and hope another bargin one comes up.

Thanks again Helen x
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 23:38:02 PM »
I saw the little circular ones for around £80 when I was trying to find the type we used, I don't know why but I get the feeling they would be a bit pants! Maybe a rescue can confirm!

I did find one on g**tree that was £80 (in London) - the ad had been on 3 weeks with only 13 views so probably still available. The ad said it was new from the US and had cost $370 so that looks to be a bit of a bargain if you could get fundraising quickly and were local.

We don't allow g**tree links on Purrs due to the irresponsible way they allow back street breeders to 'sell' animals but if you google "(PET) HOME AGAIN UNIVERSAL MICRO CHIP SCANNER" you'll find it  ;)

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 23:28:00 PM »
Thanks Helen  ;D

I had found a couple of pocket ones for between £60 and £100 but didn't know if they were any good because I always thought scanners were around £350!  At least these types look a bit more affordable and will only take a bit of fundraising instead of years and years lol.  Might set myself a target of getting one by the end of the year.

:thanks:
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 23:15:41 PM »
We used to use them at work and some types definitely had better ranges than others. There was one with a pointy end that was rubbish - firstly I could never work out if you had to press and hold the button or just press it once so ended up scanning about 8 times with different combos  :evillaugh: That also didn't seem to have a good range and the chip number flashed away before you got a chance to write it down  :doh:

The best one we had was just like the second one down on the first link - the way it held in your hand meant the button was easy to keep pressed down and the chip number stays on the screen so you could write it down. It beeps when it finds a chip and it's also small enough so as not to intimidate the scan-ee! It was using this that I found that Riley's chip had migrated to under his armpit on his tummy so if he'd got lost it would have been very unlikely that a rescue/vet would have found the chip as he would naturally crouch down so they wouldn't be able to scan the underside of him :hairrasin:

http://www.trovan.com/products/animal/animalportable/animalportable.html

There's a similar looking one here too but a different make - http://www.peddymark.com/shop/

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
Can anyone reccommend a good yet reasonable microchip scanner??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 22:24:27 PM »
I have contacted local vets to see if they would be ok to scan found pets for me, but they were a little reluctant unless the cat was injured (which I can understand cos I guess they have to make money).  I thought it might be handy for me to have my own scanner so I don't have to bother rescues or vets, especially as i have been raising awareness of Petsearch and may get a bit busier.

A lady contacted me today about a cat she has found but hasn't been able to get it anywhere to have it scanned because she has just had her wrist out of plaster.  If I had a scanner I could go to her her quickly...simples!

Not sure how much money I'd be looking at having to outlay but guess I may need to do some more fundraising.

Any advice would be great...Thanks
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Link to CatChat