Author Topic: Got the right poxy hump !!  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Got the right poxy hump !!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
Frontline spray is still a POM as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 00:18:41 AM »
Hippy there are two versions of Frontline, the one you have to get from the vets  and the one you can get online. The first will work with flea bite allrgy and the second will not.

KOcka also suffered from an allergy to being bitten and was on the original frontline that is now not POM and it works through the flea biting, so thats why no good.

She was changed onto stronghold which works by killing the fleas as they touch the cats skin, no bite needed. The new Frontlone which is frontline combo I believe works in the same way but is newer than stronghold.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 05:20:44 AM »
Thanks. It had me wondering!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 05:12:01 AM »
but what does POM mean?

Prescription only medicine
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 05:01:19 AM »
'scuse my ignorance, but what does POM mean?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 04:40:13 AM »
When I purchase the frontline from my vets, they are quite happy if they have seen just one of the cats, they don't insist on having seen both in the last year.

That is the good thing about the frontline spray isn't it. Of course if you use more than the vet thinks you should in the year you could always say you spilt some.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 03:45:33 AM »
Gill, one of my cats, Samantha, has a flea allergy. Before it was properly diagnosed, she lost most of the fur around her tail. Once the vet had discovered what it was she was given frontline - both spray and drops. I do both cats regularly (more so in the summer) and she very rarely has a problem now. I also sprayed the house with acclaim (don't need to now the fleas no longer exist! as long as I keep doing the cats). So frontline is useful for cats with a flea allergy.
When I purchase the frontline from my vets, they are quite happy if they have seen just one of the cats, they don't insist on having seen both in the last year.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 22:57:35 PM »
I can understand the regs on this, esp for wormers as they work off weight - my vets dont seem to charge as much for that kind of app, there is something on the wall, I will try and remember on Thurs, but am sure it is less than the consult i paid for Tiger last week (18.46 i think). Do your vets do a free weight clinic Michelle? If so, could you take them to that and have them seen that way??
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 20:25:04 PM »
Our vet does see most of ours well 35 and 2 work in nastyness and we can order our Milibex and drontal quarterly for all the cats including the outside strays - still its a cool £130.00 quarterly as some of our boys are 2 tablets each and we worm everything including the indoor mob.

I have to say when we moved here and Holly our FIV feral was very ill and totally unhandlabe during her 8 month stay with us they gave us tablets and injections for her without seeing her and aranged for her to be cremated after she died and that was the only time they saw her.

But the partners did say not many people turn up with such full records in paperform and on CD and a data stick for 43 animals.  It took me 9 weeks to find a vet I was happy with and they also gave us a very good bulk discount and gave me my "foster" account at an even more reduced rate.

I think once the vet has faith in you and the fact that we know our animals and do take them for the slightest thing and never flinch at 4 figure amounts to fix them and we have had a few of them that we do know what we are doing and seeing my mob is a nice stable account that excluding wormers is £350.00 a month every month is a nice account to have.

Still they have to order Program for us as its not a regular for them we phone in advance and tell them the size and how many is required.

We are still training them on some of our ferals though as not all go in the crush cages! ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 20:08:16 PM »
Surely if they have been seen at the practice by a vet at some point in the year, it shouldnt matter if they saw the person who actually writes the prescription out. How silly!   :censored:

Surely Michelle means a vet at a different practice?  Because if it was at the same practice it would be on the computer and it wouldn't matter which vet saw them.   

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 19:47:21 PM »
Its the RCVS that are being silly, if my cat saw vet smith at happy pets vets i think vet bloggs of the same practice should be allowed to write a prescription for them.
Michelles vet wrote one for 2 but the not other 8 as he didnt vax them, thats spliting hairs!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 19:09:51 PM »
gill/ everyone  it isnt the individual vet practices that choose to this, its legal requirement laid down to them.  I dont know what they do now but we did use to get round it by bending the rules "slightly"(ie not making a big deal if they were a month outside the permitted time) and also offering free check up apps often carried out by the nurse just to keep everything "above board"

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 17:58:57 PM »
Surely if they have been seen at the practice by a vet at some point in the year, it shouldnt matter if they saw the person who actually writes the prescription out. How silly!   :censored:

If you buy Frontline dont forget to use one of the rescues affiliate links  :)  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 15:13:45 PM »
Good answer Michelle.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 14:56:47 PM »
It wasnt him that vacinnated them last year

Is there a reason why you cannot ask the vet who vaccinated for a  prescription?

Yes i will have to take a drive over there and get him to do it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 14:52:17 PM »

Is there a reason why you cannot ask the vet who vaccinated for a  prescription?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 14:22:19 PM »
Mine are all fully vaccinated Ela

In that case the vet has seen them within a year and can write a prescription for all.  think for the flea and worm preparations the vet only has to see a cat once a year.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 14:18:05 PM »

In that case the vet has seen them within a year and can write a prescription for all.  think for the flea and worm preparations the vet only has to see a cat once a year.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 14:19:21 PM by Ela »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 14:10:25 PM »
I personally think an annual vet check and injections is a must and I would not be happy to home any of our rescue cats to anyone who thought differently.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 14:00:48 PM »
Yes, a vet must see a cat before the prescribe a prescription. The time in between depends on the prescription required. I think our vet charger about £12 ish. Of course the  free   prescription idea  is only until sometime time next year I think. I don't know then if vets will be allowed to charge or if it  is up for review.  We have to remember that the annual booster counts as a vet has seen the cat. To be fair to vets they cannot prescribe prescription drugs to cat who they do not really know.

he knows i'm not a dumb owner who knows nothing.

Neither am I but neither am I a vet who can tell at  times something is not quite right. I personally think an annual vet check and injections is a must and I would not be happy to home any of our rescue cats to anyone who thought differently.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »
Yep its just another money spinner and i agree with you Gill that no wonder people buy off the counter stuff.

Lynn, i know you are right and yes it shows that my Vet is responsible but it has still  :censored: me off!! (i actually think its to do with money though rather than being responsible though)
I have been with this Vet for over 15 years, he has given me Antibiotics without seeing my cats, he knows i'm not a dumb owner who knows nothing.

Oh well, looks like its Frontline and Drontal then

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
I agree with you up to a point Lyn  but think on flea treaments and worming this is taking it too far abnd its just a way for vets to get there money back and make sure that you are forced to buy from them. The basic consultation fees are now so high that I am sure it stops many from taking their cat to be seen until there is a major problem, in the hopes that the cat was just having a bad day.

This also stops owners getting the better flea and worming treatments from a vet and will push peeps to over the supermarket shelf ones.

Yes the basic frontline is no longer POM but this is not good enough for cats with an allergy to flea bites, presumably thats why its now no longer POM.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
I understand you annoyance..A few years ago there was a shake up by the rcvs on this and all vets are meant to have seen the animal in the last 3 or 6 months etc (cant remember exact time limit) before dispensing prescrips or POM medicines.

before this shake up there were many animals on long term meds etc that the owners would pick up the drugs but the animals hadnt been seen for years  :Crazy:

I also understand about the flea control stuff but since it is a pom it must have a certain strength of drug in it to require the pom legislation.

i think frontline is no longer a pom so you could maybe use that, ive always found it very good and also im not sure the drontal etc wormer is a pom..im sure it is not.

modified to say so altho its annoying it is an important rule and also before you vet is sticking to it it means he's quite a good and responsible vet  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:47:12 AM by lynn »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Got the right poxy hump !!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »
I have got the right hump !!

I popped into my vets the other day and asked if i could have a prescription for Stronghold and Milbimax so i could get them off the internet. (Would save me a hell of alot money with 10 cats)

I went back yesterday to pick it up and found that he had only done one for Lilly and Rocky - i asked the Nurse why and she said that the vet hadn't seen the rest in the last year !

This really got my back up -

I said it wasn't my fault that my other 8 hadn't been ill this year !!!

The nurse said if i wanted a prescription for the others i would have to make an appointment for the vet to see them!
So each one would need a separate appointment at £24 each consoltation fee

I DONT :censored: THINK SO !!!!!

I know its a legal requirement that the vet should have seen them in the last year but for  :censored: sake its worming and flea stuff !

Ok Rant over  :rofl:

Link to CatChat