Author Topic: Old ,neutered ,male tabby found in Bradley, Bilston, West Midlands  (Read 16427 times)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: Old ,neutered ,male tabby found in Bradley, Bilston, West Midlands
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 18:47:00 PM »
Jane, when my vet had scruffed him and he growled, i could see  one brown fang! I'd wondered if he needed a dental and that was what was stopping him eating.

BazandGem, i had looked through, but only back as far as the beginning of March this year-there's SO many missing cats, so sad. I've contacted all those on the links you've sent me, but i do wonder if they would still look on the register after all this time (the really old ones). Thanks for that anyway. I rang the hospital at 6.50pm, hung on for 15 mins to be told it's now a call centre number and would get someone to ring me with an update, so i doubt anyone will tonight. I'm at the docs at 9am so i'll try before i go or when i get back.

Michelle, I don't agree. I've been told by 2 people now involved with my stray that he will be treated if he's not too bad and they know he's old.  I don't know how it works between CP and the RSPCA but i know people who volunteer for both, so will ask them. When i mentioned at my vets re keeping a record of found cats, they said they have more success and response from the local   lost and found column, which he's in tonight! I'll contact some more tomorrow. Regarding posters, i can't do them cos i haven't got a printer. When i was looking for Charlie, someone at my old work did them for me.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 17:39:07 PM »
Hi sorry was at work ....

To answer your question
I wasn't having ago at you Shirely......Sadly the RSPCA dont and wont spend money on animals, especially if they are old and have medical problems.
You did the right thing, anything is better than him being out on the street in that condition.
Have you put some posters up and contacted all local vets ?
Even though he is in a bad state he could still be someone cats (my friend had this happen with her 18yr old thyroid cat)

Wonder if any CP rescues could take him from RSPCA ?

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 16:44:42 PM »
Could you ring just before 6? So you're not clogging up the emergency line but also don't have to wait until tomorrow to find out how he is?

You may have already done this, but I've had a look through missing cats in the West Midlands area on the national pet register website - no photos with any of these and some are from 2008, but you never know. Having seen him you may be able to tell better if any of the descriptions fit. Also, his bad teeth may lead the vet to think he's older than he really is (my cat Bazza was aged at somewhere between 3 (based on how he behaved) and 8 (based on his teeth) when we first got him - he'd been living rough then spent 2 months in a rescue with nobody noticing his rotten teeth  >:( so by the time we got him he ended up needing to have all except his canines removed).

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=17045

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=16594

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=15555

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=11832

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=10803

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mpi.php?pet=6628

Fingers crossed all goes well with the vet

Gem.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 16:45:38 PM by BazandGem »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 15:37:42 PM »
Good to hear he's had a bite to eat, sounds like his teeth could be bad then? that won't help his eating and general health.  He's in the best place and they can help him feel comfortable until they get any results.  Keeping fingers crossed for him xx

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 15:27:20 PM »
Thanks Jane. I rang about an hour ago and he hadn't yet been seen by a vet, will now be after 4pm. He said there were a few notes on the system about him and he went to look at him while i held on. He's had a small amount of finely chopped food cos of his teeth (!) and also a wee which smelt a bit odd and can be a sign of kidney problems.............................but, he also said, some of these old cats can get disorientated if they don't drink for 2/3 days in the warm weather, so hoping it's something as simple as that! He said to ring after 6pm but it's then the emergency line and i don't want to block an urgent call, so i might wait till the morning.... but then might not!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 15:06:43 PM »
 You've done great shirl  :hug:  any news yet?

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 14:19:02 PM »
Thank you Dawn! x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 14:17:42 PM »
don't worry shirley you did the right thing - if he does have something seriously wrong its better he is with a vet

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 14:12:34 PM »
He's an old man who's literally covered my bedroom from one side to the other with litter-that's not normal, is it? I'll ask the question again-get him out and put him where??? I'm out of work, can barely look after myself and my two, so there's no way i can have him. Should i have just left him in the street? Everyone knows the rescues are full.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 13:02:42 PM »
As he has a "number" now .....Can he be got out of there as I don't stand his chances much

Michelle this is what I thought - poor lad xx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 13:01:20 PM »
Why Michelle? I've been guaranteed that if he hasn't got anything 'nasty' he will be treated and rehomed. Get him out and put him where? At least he's having a vet look at him now.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »
As he has a "number" now .....Can he be got out of there as I don't stand his chances much

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Now THAT's something i hadn't thought of!!!, tho you don't really hear about drugtaking around this area, but that's not to say it doesn't go on!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
Is it possible some scumbag could have given him drugs?

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
There's all sorts of things that could have happened, isn't there? Abandoned, locked in a shed, elderly owner passed away-my brain is swimming with all the possibilities!  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
He does sound disoriented - for whatever reason, bless him, wonder if he's got into a vehicle and got lost if no-one knows of him?

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
He does, Jane!

Sarah (the Inspector) has just phoned with his ref. no. Has got him settled in a pen and carried him there rather than in the cage so she could have a cuddle-awww! She said his skin is fine, hasn't got fleas, his fur is good-just the obvious weight loss and the no response. One of the animal nurses said 'he looks out of it' I can ring about 3pm to see if they've discovered anything.

Knocked a few doors (it's not a very big street) and no joy.................

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
That's good to hear, hoping all goes really well for him, he so deserves it xx

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
He's just been picked up! The Inspector was a lovely (young!) lady and obviously commented on how thin he was, but also how he just stares into space. She will now take him to Barnes Hill hospital, Birmingham where he'll be routinely blood tested for HIV etc and, if those come back ok, they'll carry on treating him. She'll get his ref. no. and let me know sometime today, so i can ring as often as i want to! Hopefully it's nothing too serious for the little old man..........

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »
Best of luck Shirley, keep us updated  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »
Not sure, Bunglycat. He was originally found a few days ago by someone and taken to a lady in my street who's got 5 cats, so assumed she'd know what to do. She knew he needed the vets but couldn't afford it, so hoped with some TLC, he'd recover. (She's glad i came along!)
This morning, i went into his room and he's hardly touched his food, had a tiny wee in the litter tray and scraped the litter about a foot away from it, awww! He walked into the hallway, then the kitchen (glad my 2 weren't in!) and he's so strange. He's totally focused on moving forwards-like a robot, i described him on CC and that's just how he is. He never lifts his head for fuss and just stands there with his head down.
I AM worried about the RSPCA, so much so i had a chat with Heather last night. Having said that, a couple of years ago i was trying to trap a cat with his scalp missing!! (Awful sight) The Inspector said it was probably an untreated abcess. The same day, another little tabby had appeared-the Inspector put him in a carrier without it even struggling. He said 'you realise this will be pts don't you?' " Two weeks later, he came back for the trap (never caught the cat but he appeared the next day with a tiny wound!) He said 'btw, we treated that cat and it's been put up for rehoming' so i haven't given up yet. Having said that, this poor boy is just 'not right'-he's so thin, there's nothing to him when you pick him up. I'll make sure i know where he's being taken and get an update!
He'll be in local paper tonight and i've advertised him on missing pet register. Might knock some doors today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:26:13 AM by Shirley »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 23:21:30 PM »
Poor , poor boy , maybe he had been hit by a car and was still in the road in shock !?

Do you trust the RSPCA not to just put him to sleep though ?
I wouldn''t entrust any animal to them any more .

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 22:35:36 PM »
Thanks Jane, i've just been in to him and he was standing in the corner, facing the corner! He then started walking round and round the room and just carried on walking as i stroked him! He is very unsteady on his legs. I've left him for the night now, poor, poor, baby   :(

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 21:26:33 PM »
Poor fella, maybe he's got lost if deaf, best of luck for him xx

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Old ,neutered ,male tabby found in Bradley, Bilston, West Midlands
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 21:24:40 PM »
I found him today, in the road as a car had stopped for him to cross, but he wouldn't move! I took him to my vets (he's not chipped!) but he needs lots of tests to find out what's wrong with him. I think he may be deaf. The vet couldn't do the tests cos vet needed a log number from RSPCA but they said they don't give them out!!! He is currently in my spare room (Chuch isn't happy!) awaiting collection by the RSPCA in the morning. Hopefully they will do the necessary tests................

Took this pic earlier-he's so weak and sad, hope someone recognises him!

Link to CatChat