Author Topic: Jake & Woody..West-Midlands (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 12963 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Jake & Woody..West-Midlands (Uknown Outcome)
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
As there has been no update will move to sorted.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Jake & Woody..West-Midlands
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »
Any update please?

Offline Philbert

• Kitten
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2010, 13:56:39 PM »
Hi

I have just come across your postings and hope, as it's been almost a month, that a new home has been found for your gorgeous boys. Unfortunately it is a sign of the times that animal rescues are full. However most will not be put off by a diabetic cat. I know our local CP branch has had them before and they get homed out as a 'golden oldie' which means the cost for their treatment is covered by the branch. However it may be worth contacting the HQ on 03000 12 12 12. They may be able to help, or at least give details of other rescues to try as well.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2010, 19:53:58 PM »
That's really helpful info paddypaws :)

I had two enquiries on Facebook, one is a definite no cos of boyfriend and the other has gone a bit quiet but I will continue to pursue. The lady at work is on holiday but I will ask her when she gets back.

Through my Petsearch work I have had two other people ask me to help find homes for cats...its crazy!!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 19:46:46 PM »
I have been watching this post with interest and SO hoping that someone will take on those two beautiful boys.

Diabetes really is not that hard to deal with.....and it does not have to be so expensive either. I buy syringes online, feed regular wet cat food ( low carb Bozita )home test so I dont need Fructosamine tests, and the vial of insulin I am using was opened in October last year and is still going strong.

So if anyone is tempted, but worried about expense...Don't be!

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 13:38:56 PM »
Jake & Woody are super lads and I wish you all the best in finding them a forever home.

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but have you contacted your local vets for help?  They might know of a dedicated cat lover (a client or member of staff etc.) who could look after them.  This is how I came to foster - and later adopt, my diabetic cat last year.

Regarding the CP, I live in the West Midlands too, and I got the impression that my local branch never wanted the 'hassle' of trying to rehome a diabetic cat (even though they took him in), or pay for the ongoing treatment either (it can deplete branch funds).  However, they can transfer difficult to rehome cats to their major adoption centres around the country.

If you can't arrange a direct rehoming or CP care, do try Avon Cat Rescue - just south of Stratford-upon-Avon.  They are a caring, independent rescue/sanctuary with a non-euthanasia policy. :crossed:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 21:16:54 PM »
Gosh they are stunning  ;D  I wish i had a huge house for two more!

Wish you the very best to finding them a home  :Luv:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 20:39:46 PM »
Gorgeous Gorgeous Boys - wish my Zubin & Zebedee liked other cats - I would have them both (I am in Brum)

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 19:20:08 PM »
Tiggy mum - Thank you ever so much for their 'newsflash' allthough I'm not sure what this is exactly but it sounds fab thanks x  The boys are on a diabetic forum link:  http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15215&p=139301  not sure if this is the same as what you were thinking but sis in law registered to list them about 6 or so weeks ago.

If you go to the frontpage/home page of Purrs there are 'newsflashes', wait a few seconds as there is another pair of cats on there too but you will see pics of the boys with an urgent plea for a new home.

Would you like me to cross-post to the other diabetic forums for you?

Offline carys

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 19:15:52 PM »
I will keep an ear out at work aswell to see if anyone is looking for some cats (i work in a vets) they seem such smashing cats
Time spent with my cats is never wasted

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 19:11:08 PM »
 :thanks:

thank you all ever so much for the efforts  :shy:

Jackspratt - thx for link to facebook, fabulous idea x

Mark - i still haven't heard back or managed to speak to anyone from Derby CPL, (its a long shot as last time they referred me back to the local branch) but tomorrow i have time to persist with calls as not at work, i will keep everyone posted - thanks again for the ideas i will def try to get hold of their main office x

Carys - facebook group sounds like its worth a shot, although i may need to ask my sis in law for help with something like that  :Crazy:.  I emailed everyone in my address book when the boys were first featured on solo sanctuary so all my friends are aware of the plight & still looking for me. will ask sis in law re facebook group though so thank v.much for suggestion. Oh and thanks for asking that friend of yours the more people aware the better even if its just to spread the word x

Tiggy mum - Thank you ever so much for their 'newsflash' allthough I'm not sure what this is exactly but it sounds fab thanks x  The boys are on a diabetic forum link:  http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15215&p=139301  not sure if this is the same as what you were thinking but sis in law registered to list them about 6 or so weeks ago.  I did receive a contact name from there and emailed her all the details which i believe she has passed out to friends etc.The offer of transport is superb of you - thanks Tiggy's mum, however transport to anywhere within the UK can be arranged (my dad has kindly offered me his car & to share the drive if necessary - he's lovely) so distance is not a problem what so ever. Thanks tiggys mum your a star x

Steff - Interest ????? I have learnt not to get my hopes up but boy i have everything crossed right now, As i said in my email i appreciate everything you are doing so thank you once again x

THANK YOU EVERYONE  :hug:  THE BOYS AND I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 23:17:46 PM »
Don't get too excited but I've had some interest on my Facebook. I will kepp you updated.

Please keep fingers crossed

:crossed:

In the meantime it's worth checking these links out too:

Diabetes UK (national diabetes charity) have a forum, looks like you have to be a member of the charity to sign up for the forum but I think my brother-in-law might have membership as he is quite involved in Diabetes stuff being one himself. I'll ask him tomorrow and if he is a member I'll get him to sign up to the forum and post (if that's OK with you?) - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Supporting-Members/

There is also a link to another forum on the Diabetes UK website, looks like anyone can join this one so worth posting about the boys on there - http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/

Diabetes UK facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/diabetesuk

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 23:18:49 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 23:12:23 PM »
Don't get too excited but I've had some interest on my Facebook. I will kepp you updated.

Please keep fingers crossed
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 22:26:27 PM »
I've added the boys to the newsflash that shows on the home page  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 22:06:53 PM »
Is it worth maybe setting up a facebook group for them? Have been following this on catchat and asked someone i knew was looking for a cat if she would maybe take on one of them, didnt hear back unfortunately. I feel so sorry for you, unfortunately everywhere is packed to the rafters at the moment

Along the same lines, I wonder if there is a facebook group for diabetics? I really think he would 'appeal' to a diabetic the most as they will know better than anyone that the condition can be easily managed and that he can live a normal happy life. They will also be completely at ease with giving insulin injections.

What about contacting a human diabetic charity/group/organisation? You could ask them to appeal to any of their members to give the boys a home. I'd be happy to help with transport if a potential home was found for them in the South East.

:luck: I really feel for you  :hug:

Offline carys

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 22:02:56 PM »
Is it worth maybe setting up a facebook group for them? Have been following this on catchat and asked someone i knew was looking for a cat if she would maybe take on one of them, didnt hear back unfortunately. I feel so sorry for you, unfortunately everywhere is packed to the rafters at the moment
Time spent with my cats is never wasted

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 21:57:23 PM »
I would still speak to head office. I haven't dealt much with them but if you get a call-centre type, tell them you need to speak to the regional manager. It seems your local branch has a little hitler working there. Our branch (Canterbury) someties has to close the list when things get bad but sooner or later they have to take cats on their list.

I have even heard of one branch where the woman that runs it, took it on herself to buy a uniform and apparently is a nasty piece of work. It makes me mad as they are supposed to be helping cats in need.

Our branch rehomed a diabetic cat a couple of years ago (Charlie) - I'm pretty sure Sharon offered help with the meds but the lady was happy to pay for them herself.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 21:50:28 PM »
I posted a link to this thread on Facebook. Hopefully someone will see your boys and help. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 21:48:21 PM »
Thank You Steff xx 

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 21:19:19 PM »
*hug*

I did think that things were probably worse for you than just the insulin but would see if a contribution towards it would at least help but that's already happening. Was hoping I could help find a solution if the insulin was it but nothing is ever that easy hey!

About 4 years ago I was in some financial difficulty, not as bad as you but bad enough to stress me enough and make me poorly. Somehow I managed to soldier through and came out the other end...so it is possible :)

Literally even one I know already has animals or is not in a position to have a cat (or two).

Your doing all you can by keeping in regular contact with local rescues, I just hope a space or home becomes available ASAP for you.

Being on this forum just makes me wish I had a pen or something so I could help with holding urgent cases. But I guess one pen wouldn't be enough.

I will ask on my facebook and also at my workplace just in case x
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 21:18:53 PM »
Hi Mark sorry seems you replied at time i posted mine..

The responses i received was that 'CPL have a long and growing waiting list and are just not in a position to take Jake & Woody.' (their words not mine)

I have left another msg at another CPL with an adoption centre - I am awaiting on a reponse - i will be calling them tomorrow again if i have nothing, although last time i was referred once again to local branch who responded with the above. 

In fact one response left me seathing here it is:

Hi sorry but I really don't think you will re house them. Its the busiest time of the year. For all the rescues the kitten season and you are asking someone to take on a cat that is going to continually cost money and commitment. I also own a boarding cattery and I have a few diabetics that are regulars and it is a huge expensive commitment to take on a diabetic cat with insulin requirements, regular vet consults and tests and normally eventually diabetic veterinary food.     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz - they are on a diabetic website, they are also advertised on 'solo sanctuary' & 'cat cuddles' after the very kind help from others. My vet is fully aware and has been searching on my behalf too ( i rather hoped she would take them as she loves woody but is unable to )

JaneyK I have advertised them everywhere as direct rehoming but 6 months on & nothing, i contacted 13 organisations who rehome with posters etc and nothing still.

X

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 20:58:35 PM »
Thanks Janeyk

Steff I'm receiving help towards the insulin (i'm ever so sorry i dont know what i told to whom...) My post on 'cat chat' has the full story & more, to attempt an explanation i received financial help for insulin costs after seeking a rehoming solution i was put in touch with an ex local charity who still had funds and they considered my cause and agreed to fund for as long as keep them in their current home.  This funding however has simply delayed the inevitable as i cannot afford to live here.  I have held out for a rehoming solution but nothing has been found and they are such lovely boys i honestly never thought it would go on this long.  I am now in a large amount of debt which is increasing day by day, i cannot rectify the solution unless i significantly decrease my outgoings (by moving out) and look for a second job (i cant do this at present as woody needs twice daily injections so i have to be here not to mention they need company) I'm a proud person and its hard to admit i cannot cope any longer but something has got to give and i'm affraid its my home & the boys before my sanity...  

You ask what would happen if i cannot find a home? I honestly dont know - i always thought thats when a shelter may be able to step in & offer help (when all other avenues have been explored) but aparently this isnt the case as every organisation i have spoken to say they are full or unable to take in new admissions...! I've left further messgaes today hoping someone will call me back to keep pressing. I have to leave my home before it is taken away from me, i have a last ditch attempt at saving my financial self and i need to grab it with both hands as bankruptcy in my position would also mean i would lose my job and although i love my boys i can no longer allow my heart rule my head.  

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 20:55:57 PM »
Have to say my local CP in Peth have a diabetic in Jake and they are covering all costs should he be adopted - current fosterer is rather attached and she like us is used to diabetic cats

Perhaps they need an advert in the local paper to drum up some enquiries and launch an assault on Doctors with diabetic patients!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 20:42:33 PM »
I agree with Mark.   Also I'd suggest that you need to contact all rescues on that list (Cat Chat link)  I gave you and some will do direct homing so the cats could be with you whilst a home is found, and the rescue can have the cat appear on Cat Chat as well as their own homing pages if they choose which will help further.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 20:48:31 PM by Janeyk »

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 20:39:51 PM »
Mark would CP or any other large rescue organisation be willing to cover the cost of the insulin so that the cats could stay where they are?? If the cost of the insulin was the only problem that is.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 20:33:39 PM »
Have you been put on the waiting list at Cats Protection or other rescues?

I have never known cats wait 6 months on a waiting list.

The majority of people that read purrs already have cats so very few will be homed from posting on here.

If Cats Protection won't take him on due to being diabetic, I would speak to CP head office and tell them what you were told. CP exists to help cats and for no other reason. If a cat needs rehoming, it isn't up to a jobsworth (or volunteersworth  :-: ) to play god & cherry-pick which cats can or can't be helped.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 20:00:28 PM »
They're so lovely it is a shame they're still waiting  :(

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 19:49:19 PM »
Sorry you still haven't found them a home. I remember seeing this when you first posted.

I hate to ask but what will happen if a home cannot be found for these guys soon?

Is it just the cost of the insulin that is making it impossible for you to keep them or is it just finances generally?

If I had more room or didn't already have my 3 then I would offer them a home but I just don't have the space for 5 indoor cats and a dog :(
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
Re: Jake & Woody..West-Midlands *** URGENT ***
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 19:20:21 PM »
I urge anyone at all who may be able to help me by offering a home to
my beautiful boys to contact me asap

I  need out to move asap, I'm sinking deeper by the day.
I actually began searching for a new home for the boys January 2010,
its now July 2010 and i have achieved nothing except more debt...
My troubles are now affecting my health wth little or no overtime on
the horizon I need to leave our home asap.

PRETTY PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP

Offline dforrester725

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 18:06:04 PM »
still looking for homes :(

Offline dforrester725

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 22:23:31 PM »
Liz, so sorry to hear of your losses and  :thanks: anyway :)

JaneyK, shes tried many rescues, some have put the boys on their websites (but nothing has come from that) but most are full or won't take on a diabetic cat unfortunately. She is going to keep looking though.

Danielle x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 22:12:51 PM »
So sorry they're still waiting, I hope they can be homed together they are both adorable.  I think your sister-in-law should contact all rescues in her area, surely some rehome diabetics?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 21:33:40 PM »
Sadly despite working on OH the Clan have to say no to these gorgeous boys, seperate feeding is a problem as when we had our diabetic feral Tiger he was in the vets words so text book for nearly 3 years he din't eat anything different from the rest apart from his extra small tin of food with his injection at 7 and 7 - he was always home in time as well, even when he died of heart failure the bloods taken the week before were perfect

Cost was never the issue either as we have supported an elederly lady for the past 18 months buying the insulin for her baby who sadly passed away last week from old age.

I also think OH is still missing our Miss Cissy who sadly diied with both her parents in attendance 3 weeks ago and is a bit touchy when I mentionother cats and that I am starting to trap again as we appear to have some young interlopers and the boys ain't done - the wendy house was a bit whiffy before I Virconed it!

I hope these 2 can be found a home together just an idea but perhaps speaking to your doctors may help as they keep a record of diabetic paitients and I know this is how our old CP branch homed several duiabetics over the years

I will continue to watch this space and work on OH!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline dforrester725

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 20:52:30 PM »
Unfortunately this gorgeous pair are still looking....now looking for homes seperate too :(

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 18:40:39 PM »
Boys still searching for that new home....  :(

Offline dforrester725

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 16:32:50 PM »
Its rougly £50 a month for insulin and needles, and yep hes on diabetic food :)

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
just wondering roughly how much it costs you for woodys meds?, is he on diabetic food aswell?

Offline jakewoody

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 18:38:35 PM »
Hi all (Hi Danielle)

I'm Lisa, Jake & Woody's mum of 6 years - Danielle kindly offered to post on forums on my behalf (I've come across this post whilst trying to register & list the boys details in as many places as poss) - my situation is a difficult one with re homing the only possible solution to my current situation. I won't go into full details as I have done on another forum (Cat Chat has my life story pretty much!).  Danielle has summarised the situation perfectly. I just wanted to jump in and say thanks again Danielle and thank you to anyone reading this - please if any can help i would be forever grateful. 

Jakey & Woods have gorgeous personalities (as well as looks - in my opinion ;) ) please if anyone knows of a possible new home for the brothers please let me know.  I will travel as far as i need to find them the perfect home, thank you, Lisa x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 18:12:25 PM »
 :(

Offline dforrester725

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 15:59:35 PM »
Still Looking...

Link to CatChat