Author Topic: Chickens need homes - URGENT - W Sussex  (Read 9847 times)

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Re: Chickens need homes - URGENT - W Sussex
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 20:26:17 PM »
You are all stars!  Am awaiting update on numbers and will post when I know.

Kate

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 13:14:56 PM »
I know,,, but if they can be re-homed and somewhere safe may be - we could halp a little so she can carry on with her good work. I know it is money most of us haven't really got but - it's worth a go. even if we only give £2.50 that would save 1 chicken.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
I don't know if a college would be willing to pay for chickens. Worth asking though. The ones they have already have the life of Riley.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
Thanks for that, Mark.  These actually look like ex-battery apparently as they are a bit pecked!!  Andrea does need to recoup her initial outlay of £2.50 per bird (so she can rescue some more)  Would the College be willing to pay?  I think personally £2.50 is a lot to charge her as they wouldn't get that for them if they went to slaughter...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 00:23:03 AM »
You could try Hadlow College - I know the chickens we have already are ex-battery. I'm not sure if they would be able to take more but it is worth trying.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 20:36:16 PM »
Lol claire, you will have NO lawn left  :evillaugh:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
I have the utmost respect and gratitude for people who do this, she's done an amazing job so far! When we move into a house with a garden I'm going to try and work my OH around to the idea of letting us keep some ex-batts or ex- supermarket - egg- chickens like this, I'll tell him it means he'll never have to mow the lawn  :evillaugh:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 22:15:36 PM »
Will post on Pet Rescue UK, thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure about Facebook - will ask her tomorrow if she would mind. 

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 20:45:04 PM »
Shes done well placing 400 so far  :wow: fingers crossed the rest are sorted soon :luck:

definitely xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 19:53:42 PM »
Good luck with this! Are they posted on Pet Rescue UK? Also, any info about them on Facebook that I can share?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 19:36:02 PM »
Shes done well placing 400 so far  :wow: fingers crossed the rest are sorted soon :luck:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Chickens need homes - URGENT - W Sussex
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 18:43:01 PM »
One of our cat friends needs some help with 530 - yes, that's 530 -  chickens she has rescued.  Can you help?  Andrea has rescued 530 free range and organic chickens which were producing eggs for supermarkets.  They have all committed the unpardonable sin of reaching the age of 18 months, at which time, apparently, the supermarkets refuse to take their eggs.  (Well, I didn't know that, did you?).  Andrea has had to buy the chickens to save them from instant slaughter - £2.50 per bird.  Although she has found homes for the majority of the hens, she still has around 100 left to rehome.  Can you help?  They are in West Sussex, near Horsham.  Andrea would like to recoup her basic costs i.e. £2.50 donation per bird.  This excludes all the other costs including food she has incurred.  Please call Andrea on 01403 891168 if you can help.

Thanks for reading!

Kate

Link to CatChat