Author Topic: We neutered a cat we thought it was Stray  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Koco

• Adult Cat
We neutered a cat we thought it was Stray
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 17:47:32 PM »
Hi there

I thought I register and post my history as I am still a bit upset about the whole situation and I would like your opinion.

Since January this year (probably a little earlier) we have had this male cat coming into our house and spraying everywhere as well as eating our two cat's food. When he started coming along it was snow and we thought that he might have been lost as he seem so young, then we realised that he wasn't neutered.

We couldn't cope with the smell in the house and after having the carpets cleaned professionally we decided in February to take him to our vet to have him scan for a microchip to see if we could locate the owner. There wasn't one and the vet told us that he was at least 1.5 or 2 years old as well as being a cross between a Bengal and Tabby breed. We asked the vet what we should do then, they advice to call all the local vets and log him into their lost & found records and see if there was any other animals of his description. A part from that we had him advertised in the Animal Search Website and we asked around the area.

Without luck this cat continued coming in and out. My male cat then went missing and during the distribution of fliers for my cat we starting asking around as well about this stray cat. When he was at our house I brushed him to see if he was clean but he was full of dirt in his coat as well as had flees. My cat appeared after six days and after 4 months of trying to find this stray cat's owner (putting a paper collar and not getting anything back either) we decided to take him to the vet last Tuesday and have him neutered, vaccinated, flee treated, and blood tested for anything, and one of the reason of the blood test was because he was drinking so much water at home that we thought he might had a kidney problem. We intended to keep him and look after him.

Anyway we had to keep him in for 3 days before we took him back for a post surgery appointment. We let him out of the house to wonder on Saturday, we put him a collar with his name and our number, and on Sunday we got a miss call from someone we didn't know and when we saw him coming back without the collar I told my husband to call the number as I had a feeling it might have been related to the cat. The owner was very aggressive saying that he was going to sue us for trying to steal his cat and the fact that he was nipped without consent. He bought him Bengal pedigree to breed him and that he didn't agree in putting microchips and he always lost the collars, he only had him since September when he was a kitten. He threaten to sue us (which I think it is not going to happen) and his solution was that we should have kicked him out of the house when he was coming in, we were at work when he was most in and that is a bit difficult when I have to leave the cat flap open myself to let my own cats out.

I am a bit confused, this guy was complaining about vet bills, how expensive they were and other animals that they had apart of another 4 o 5 cats at his house. I think if it was so valuable he should have put a chip or a collar for us to contact him and kept him in doors. The vet told us that he wasn't pure Bengal though a cross.

I love this cat and he keeps coming home still, he is very comfortable at our house and love to play with my cats. I am sure that the vet bill will be lost but what I am most worried is him being unhappy in his current home.

What is your opinion about all of this?

Many thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 18:03:51 PM by Koco »

Link to CatChat