Author Topic: Loving and safe home needed for Siamese boy - Hampshire (Homed)  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Loving and safe home needed for Siamese boy - Hampshire (Homed)
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »
Thanks Dave!! I  am always willing to help such lovely puss cats adn esp to people who go the extra mile. I would of had Charlie in a moment, but putting my reascue hat on i am certain he would be better as an only cat. In my heart it would of been a great home here as well but it sounds a lovely home with Val and also someone with experience of Siamese wihich will help a lot. He sounds adoarable and in truth a lot like one of my previous cats Casper who had a habit of head butting you when you sat down and read the papers..

I too rang the contact that Kate gave me and she is a lovely lady and i am sure in time will find me the perfect pair..

Hugss to Charlie and we love updates!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
wonderful news, maybe you can tell her about purrs!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 21:45:50 PM »
Woo Hoo .... how wonderful.  I'm so happy for Charlie ... I'm sure he will be very happy being spoilt rotten and wrapping Val round his paws.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 20:16:26 PM »
That is great news Dave! sounds like the perfect home  :)

I'll amend the title and move this now  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
Re: Loving and safe home needed for Siamese boy - Hampshire
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 20:08:04 PM »
Great news.

Charlie has now found his new home. The lady who came to see Charlie fell instantly in love and is giving him his forever home.
She lives in a lovely bungalow in a very nice area so Charlie is going to be spoilt rotten. Shame she did not have room for me as well!!

Thanks to everyone who has given a lot of their time and effort in helping Charlie, in particular Sharon of Canterbury CP and Kate of Streetkatz.

Val has promised to give me regular updates on how Charlie is doing and email me some pics. As soon as she does I will post them here on Purrs.

It is very much a double edged sword in that I am so sad to see Charlie go but also so happy he now has his second chance at a happy life.

Thanks everyone

Dave

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
Hi Kate,

I had a call from a lady today who saw Charlie on the Siamese Rescue site and who lives not far from me. She has lots of experience with Siamese cats and as her previous one died in December (aged 16) she is longing for another. She has no other pets and there are no dogs in her area and she lives in a very quiet residential cul de sac which is no where near any busy roads.

She has given me a couple of numbers for references, one is a breeder and the other is a rescue who have recently home checked her, so I will give them a call tomorrow.

We spoke for quite a long time and it sounds very promising. I will let you know how tomorrow goes.

Dave

Ooooh how wonderful .... I really hope this is a match.  Charlie looks like an absolute babe and this lady certainly sounds like she can offer a 'mese needs!  Keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome (I have no doubt that Charlie won't have to wait too long for his forever home)  :hug:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
That's great.  Hope it's a match - sure it will be!

Kate

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 21:29:57 PM »
It sounds great Dave, best of luck with this xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 21:25:29 PM »
That sounds excellent....really hope it works out for you. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 21:09:36 PM »
Hi Kate,

I had a call from a lady today who saw Charlie on the Siamese Rescue site and who lives not far from me. She has lots of experience with Siamese cats and as her previous one died in December (aged 16) she is longing for another. She has no other pets and there are no dogs in her area and she lives in a very quiet residential cul de sac which is no where near any busy roads.

She has given me a couple of numbers for references, one is a breeder and the other is a rescue who have recently home checked her, so I will give them a call tomorrow.

We spoke for quite a long time and it sounds very promising. I will let you know how tomorrow goes.

Dave

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 20:52:35 PM »
Hi Dave

Glad you have got in touch with Siamese Rescue.  Sounds promising.  I have a couple of leads this end where Charlie would be the only cat but nothing confirmed yet.   What do you want to do re homechecking yourself out of your immediate area?

Kate

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 19:05:59 PM »
One other cat that isn't easily stressed....will have a think. He really is lovely.

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 17:04:23 PM »
I think with another oriental or a less nervous cat he would probably be fine.
I was chatting with Siamese Rescue this morning and she thinks a similar breed cat would probably be a safer option.

Dave

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 16:30:39 PM »
Charlie is an absolute babe! I wish I could think of someone with no other pets.....

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 16:03:48 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 15:59:54 PM »
Some more Charlie pics  ;D

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Hi Kate,

I noticed Charlie is now up on your site, thanks so much. We both really appreciate it  :thanks:

I have been truly amazed at all the help people have been willing to give in finding Charlie a new forever home. It has been a real case of 'The kindness of strangers' and I am genuinely humbled.

Fingers crossed Charlie gets his forever home soon, he so deserves it.

Dave

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 15:35:03 PM »
Hi Sam
I have contacted SiameseRescue and I am just awaiting a reply. I have also contacted the Burmese Cat Society.

Hi Kate,
Thanks for the email. I will contact Lisa tomorrow and I will also forward Charlies details and pics for the streetkatz site.
Thanks so much for the help it is really appreciated.

Dave

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 14:23:43 PM »
Bump for Charlie  ;)

Charlie is so much more relaxed now but is hating being confined to his room when I have Beau in the house. But Beau has struvite (sp?) crystals due we think to the stress, so I can not risk stressing him any more by letting Charlie out When Beau wants to come in.

Other than that, Charlie is much more chilled and is loving all the attention when he is out of his room and has been practising his head-buts  all this weekend  ;D

Dave

Poor Beau but great that Charlie is more chilled.  There is a lady called Lisa who runs a cattery and, as a sideline, Oriental Rescue.  She's near Lewes and it would be worth contacting her with Charlie's details.  She has a wide network of contacts - and homes!  Will email you her phone no.

Kate

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 14:20:41 PM »
Hi Dave,  have you tried contact siamese rescue ... they may have someone who can offer Charlie the speical home he needs.   http://www.siameserescue.org.uk/

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Bump for Charlie  ;)

Charlie is so much more relaxed now but is hating being confined to his room when I have Beau in the house. But Beau has struvite (sp?) crystals due we think to the stress, so I can not risk stressing him any more by letting Charlie out When Beau wants to come in.

Other than that, Charlie is much more chilled and is loving all the attention when he is out of his room and has been practising his head-buts  all this weekend  ;D

Dave

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
I used to find following around the garden with a tea cup the best way of collecting samples! 

:evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
I used to find following around the garden with a tea cup the best way of collecting samples! 

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
Bit of an update.

Charlie is a lot more relaxed now and is no longer stressing out when Beau is about. No bushy tails and no wailing like a banshee!! He was even purring when Beau was hiding on top of the kitchen cabinets and he was watching from below!

Beau however is extremely stressed by Charlie and the vet thinks he may be developing crystals in his urine because of the stress. He is using his tray quite often but not passing much. Because of this I am keeping them well apart and have put a feliway in Beaus room to help him feel less stressed. Need to take a sample back to the vets to get it confirmed, just need to convince Beau to wee in a litter tray with tiny little plastic bits rather than his catsan litter which would absorb it otherwise. Beau is not easily convinced though!

Anyway, seeing how Charlie is now I think he may well be fine with another cat who is laid back and confident and is not the dominating sort. I think his confidence would thrive with a companion whose laid back nature he could feed off.

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Yep. thats the one! It would be helpful if you kept some background as to why you have in care and why you need to rehome. Seeing as i helped originally to rehome them both...It would be nice to see Charlie settled.. I am not sure if you are looking for an experienced Siamese owner but you may wish to also email Siamese Rescue as well as they have a place to put cats on websites as well.. But still note that you are looking to direct rehome.. I do not need to put your contact details on our website but i will need them to pass on if anyone rings about him or another branch has any leads..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Thanks so much Sharon.

Do I use your contact details on the Canterbury CP site to send the pic and write-up?

Kind regards
Dave

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »
Hi
If you wish to send me a good photo and a write up (it will need to be less then here as i am limited to words on website writeups) and i will put him on our website and forward to a few more branches.. As long as you are prepared to do any homechecks yourself in the area... So maybe give us an ideaof the area you would be willing to cover..I can email East Kent but CP SE region does cover up to Portsmouth i think... I have rehomed a Bengal to Hampshire so its not impossible...
Pls also explain that he is not in rescue but has had a full health check and up to date with all vac etc.. (if that is the case).. CP newtowrk is huge i am sure that someone out there might offer him a lovely home.. If he was not so nervous around other puds then he would be considered to join me.. But it would not be fair on either Charlie or my Bella... If you can do this sooner rather then later pls!
Also i will need your contact details
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:56:51 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 14:42:29 PM »
Hi Gail,

Charlie says thank you and that his beauty is only exceeded by his modesty  ;)

Another couple of pics of Charlie doing what he does best!!

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Charlie is utterly ADORABLE  :Luv: :Luv: - I so hope the perfect home comes up for him soon - xxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks so much for the offer of putting Charlie on your website, it is really appreciated.

I will also contact a couple of my local CP branches and try and do a direct re-home via those as well.

It is such a shame he has developed this anxiety with other cats as he is such a gentle and loving guy with people.

Thanks again Sharon.

Kind regards
Dave

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 22:32:05 PM »
Well i remeber these 2 so well. As i did indeed pass on the details to you and do remember the lovely home.. Sadly.. Charile is just not the right cat for my home despite all his past, with all the other cats around he would not be happy. And like your own cat i have to consider my Bella.
However.. as before i am very happy to put him on our website if you wish to do the same as we did before and you do all homechecks or speak to any new person who considers Charlie.. If he is up to date with vac etc and has a clean bill of health.. I do sometimed do this and ic an work, esp in difficult cases such as Charlie. I would also suggest you contact Siamese Welfare.
Also i would suggest you contact your local CP branch and see if they will help you with rehoming him. Not taking into care but Direct Rehoming. The fact that he is left on his own during the day may not be helping but then i do not know Charlie like you do.
He sounds a real character and i am sure with some time and dedication a new home can be found for this poor fella.

Offline Dave_s

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 21:24:00 PM »
Hi all and thanks for the welcomes  :thanks:

A quick summary to fill you all in on Charlies history.

Charlie was with me for 6 months up until May last year when, due to personal reasons which I wont go into here, I had to re-home him with his pal Stuey (a tonkinese). In fact, I believe it was Sharon who was instrumental in helping them find their new home when she spotted the post on cat chat and knew of a couple who were waiting for the right cat.

So Charlie and Stuey went to live with Danielle on a fruit farm in Canterbury, the perfect place with no busy roads and loads of fields to play in safely. After some time Stuey started to become a lot more of a dominant cat and would constantly bully Charlie which became a bit of a problem for him. Eventually Stuey, with the help of feliway diffusers, started to calm down a bit but still liked to pick on Charlie somewhat.

Then in January this year, Charlie was attacked in the front garden by a neighbours Jack Russell and quite badly injured. As a result of this Charlie became extremely fearful and kept running away to hide in a barn and would not return until well after everyone had gone to bed. He wet himself a couple of times which Danielle thinks was out of anxiety but he has not done it since.

Danielle posted her concerns on catchat and after some discussion we agreed it may be best if Charlie was removed from the environment which obviously had started to have bad memories for him. I agreed to give Charlie a home back with me.

I also have a British Shorthair male who is pretty laid back but Charlie seems to have become so fearful of other animals or of being attacked that it seems to trigger an aggressive reaction in him. He only has to sense Beau in the next room and he gets quite anxious resulting in Beau disappearing for hours on end. There have been a couple of fights between them, the first when I allowed them to have a sniff of each other and the other when Charlie rushed out of his room when I opened the door to feed him and he quite viciously attacked Beau resulting in a vets visit for Beau.

It is so sad to see him like this with other cats but he cannot be blamed after all he has been through. My main priority is to consider what is best for Charlie and his happiness and I think a home as an only pet is the only way he is going to find true peace and be a happy cat again.

Sorry, bit of a long 'summary' and if you got this far then help yourself to a jaffa cake :)

His interaction with me is the complete opposite. He loves being around me and within minutes of sitting down he is there on my lap. He purrs for England and never needs an excuse to come and give you a headbut!!

As I live alone and there is nobody here during the day, Charlie has to be kept in a room downstairs until I return home and can then manoeuvre the two of them around so Charlie can have a run around the house. I dont know if this is exacerbating the problem but he certainly does not like it.

I also have to think about Beau who has become extremely nervous and I doubt, even if it were possible, will ever become friends with Charlie after their fight?

Anyway, I have probably waffled on for way too long. Hope this explains the situation a bit better.

Dave

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 19:49:33 PM »

I hope Sharon doesn't mind me saying but her family has a holiday home site. There are 3 (I think) houses in different areas on the site which sharon and her brothers along with their families live. The area is surrounded by woodland.

Aww now it makes sense  :evillaugh:   cheers Mark

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 19:37:46 PM »
"Due to his anxiety about other cats and dogs it may be best if Charlie is homed as an indoor cat. He has been used to going out in the past but for the first few months at least it would be best for Charlie to learn to feel safe in his environment before seeing how he would get on outside."

So there is a possibility that after a while, he might go outside. There are no roads nearby. I hope Sharon doesn't mind me saying but her family has a holiday home site. There are 3 (I think) houses in different areas on the site which sharon and her brothers along with their families live. The area is surrounded by woodland.

ETA - when I went to post, I saw Sharon's post and realised she wouldn't mind me saying  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 19:39:20 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 19:35:48 PM »
Ummm..its difficult to explain. But this is a family business in 22 acres of land with 3 properties on the land. Of which my brother has 2 cats and my other brother has 4.. So although we are all seperate all the cats share the same land and each others houses... Mark and Julie will be able to explain a bit more as they have been h ere a few times.
Yes.. i am not a person that likes to keep cats soley as indooor only unless its their choice.. So any cat that lived with me would have free access if they wished to go outside..

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 19:29:15 PM »
Sharon I'm a tad confused lol
what has your Brothers cat go to do with anything  :rofl: (Charlie is to be an indoor cat)

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 18:28:01 PM »
Hi all thanks for thinking of me!! I saw Charlie on Catchat actually...He is a very unusual coloring i must say.. One thing that worries me (well several actually.. My 2 brothers have cats of their own.. One in particular a very assertive Burmese rescue puss cat of around 9yrs old now..  He can be abit of a bully.. he does chase Bella but they never come to blows. She just runs away.. But Oscars home is not that far from me.. Although Leo got on with Oscar they did have their differences and warning growls usually worked. I do  have space. but to get anywhere from where i live you have to go past where Oscar lives... Also there are a few cats that are owned on the site and not all are so friendly either.. But will wait to see whatthe reply is.
I too believe in fate.. but realistically being away in June is not the best time to take on a puss cat that needs special care to settle in as i want be around and other relatives take care of Bella for me.. So lots of people around that are part of the family..
Anyhow.. i would like to know why such a lovely boy needs to be rehomed as well?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 18:09:04 PM »
 :wow: OH MY HOW STUNNING IS HE ??!!!

Ummmmm I'm thinking the same here......... ;)

Dave, You don't actually say why you are rehoming him ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 17:35:48 PM »
I would like to know why he needs rehoming please

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 17:22:10 PM »
Ahhh, I see. :innocent: :) I too believe in fate.

Link to CatChat