Author Topic: HELP - Looking to re home our 2 Tabby boys - SE London/Kent area (Now in rescue)  (Read 11848 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Peter, I'm sure you've done what you thought best and that Battersea will find them new loving homes xx

Thanks for the update, I'll move and lock this thread now  :thanks:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 13:46:55 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
Hi all

Just wanted to update you on the boys

We looked hard ourselves to find them in a home but in the end we just couldnt find anyone, so took the decision to take them to Battersea Cat Home.

It wasnt a very nice experience and there was lots of tears but in the end we felt it was the right thing to do, especially as they just werent getting the love and attention they got before.

Battersea felt they should have them re-homed within 3 weeks or so which is positive.....just hope they are ok, Mack reacted really badly as we knew he would but im hoping they'll both settle down and will go to a loving family.

Thanks for all the help

Offline isabella

• Adult Cat
I just wanted to add my two pence. As has already been said, I'm another person who was brough up with cats when I was very young and there have been no adverse affects. I have no allergies, I'm rarely ill and there've been no adverse reactions to them being in my home when I was younger.

Personally, if you're in two minds about whether to keep them or let them go, you should let them go. They are gorgeous cats and will have no problems finding a home (I would take them, but we live in a flat, probably not what they would like!) where they will be able to relax and enjoy life. Like has been said already, they can and will be picking up on any tension you have around them, and it's not fair to have them live in a tense environment. Eg if the cats were to climb on your childs things, more than likely you'd shoo them away. They wont understand what's wrong and it oculd even lead to behavioural problems down the line.

As the others have said, babies and cats are fine together. It's more the problems you have with the cats and the baby.

I hope you make a decision soon.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Yep, vets are good places to put up adverts - if someone's in there it's generally because they care about their animals.  ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Try put them on the notice boards of your local vets (think I might have said this before but it got ignored!)

Anyway ....I'm out of here !

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
the OP has decided he no longer wants the cats in his home and thus the best option for these two stunningly gorgeous boys is to find them a new home as fast as possible

exactly - they are still young and could have a great life somewhere else where they aren't restricted

Sorry I think people are getting me wrong here, I love these cats and its nit like I don't "want them in my home" anymore, I was just thinking of my baby first that is all. If i wanted them out they'd be in Battersea by now, but I personally dont want to see them in a resuce home in a small confined pen/cage.

There not confined where they are at currently, our kitchen and dining room is very large and they have a 50ft garden to play in also.

Peter you appear to have taken offence to my statement "the OP has decided he no longer wants the cats in his home". I didn't intend to offend you, but the statement is true if you are still trying to re-home your cats after all the advice you have been given about it being safe to raise a baby in a home that has cats. No matter the reason, you have decided that these cats need to be re-housed, thus you no longer want the cats in your home. I can see that you might interpret the word "wants" as me implying that you no longer care what happens to the cats or have no attachment to them, but I can assure you it wasn't said to mean that. Maybe I should have used the words "the OP has decided he no longer feels it is appropriate for the cats to be in his home". If my blunt wording upset you then I am sorry. It was not my intention to cause you any upset, more just to cut to the chase and try and advise you the fastest way get the beautiful Mack and Oscar an new forever home and to try to encourage people to focus more on that than on trying to convince you to keep them as it seems very evident to me that your mind is made up.

Good luck in finding them a new loving home. I think if you did put them into a rescue centre they wouldn't be there for more than a few days as they have what estate agents call curb appeal.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
Sorry I think people are getting me wrong here, I love these cats and its nit like I don't "want them in my home" anymore, I was just thinking of my baby first that is all.

Lots of us have told you that the cats pose no health hazard to your baby so if you love the cats why don't you try letting them have access to all the rooms they had access to before your daughter was born?

If you are convinced that your daughters allergy is to the cats (which it may well not be as she could be allergic to something else like dust mites or just simply have been a bit sneezy!) then there are products such as Petal Cleanse to help deal with it although you need to use it for a few weeks before results show.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Rescues are good because you can tell them all about your cats and they will find the right home for them, if you're worried about them in the rescue some, but not all will do direct homing where the cat stays with you until they find them a home  :hug:

this was my previous post..... so if you give them all the details they can find your cats the right home for you without them being in the rescue - maybe you'd find that a better option?

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
Peter have you enquired about 'Direct Homing'? like I previously suggested then the cats will stay with you until a suitable home is found  :hug:

sorry I missed that, how does that work?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
the OP has decided he no longer wants the cats in his home and thus the best option for these two stunningly gorgeous boys is to find them a new home as fast as possible

exactly - they are still young and could have a great life somewhere else where they aren't restricted

Sorry I think people are getting me wrong here, I love these cats and its nit like I don't "want them in my home" anymore, I was just thinking of my baby first that is all. If i wanted them out they'd be in Battersea by now, but I personally dont want to see them in a resuce home in a small confined pen/cage.

There not confined where they are at currently, our kitchen and dining room is very large and they have a 50ft garden to play in also.

Peter,

You have been given enough info that has told you that your Daughter will be safe with the cats around her, Honestly you really don't need to rehome them if that is your issue.
What does your wife feel about it ?

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Peter have you enquired about 'Direct Homing'? like I previously suggested then the cats will stay with you until a suitable home is found  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I'm not saying that you are a bad person or owner you are obviously attached to them but your baby isn't going anywhere and you have issues with them co-habiting - yes they might be in a rescue pen for a week or two but in the long term its better for all of you - at least you will know you did what is best for them

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

Exactly. I'd like to think these boys would get snapped up from a rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Wow, Oscar and Mack are such hansom dudes!

I'm with the people that think that it is perfectly safe to raise babies in a home with cats. In fact I would positively encourage it. Babies are far more robust than many people give them credit for and if you are raised in a sterile environment, your immune system isn't challenged in any way, so doesn't develop. That leaves you at great risk if and when you do come into contact with bacteria and viruses.

Having said that it seems the OP has decided he no longer wants the cats in his home and thus the best option for these two stunningly gorgeous boys is to find them a new home as fast as possible. A rehoming centre is probably going to be the best way to go. If I had the money to afford the insurance and vet bills I'd snap them up. I think I'm in love  :Luv2: :Luv: 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
I would take a rescue up on a space befroe kitten season is in full swing as they are both gorgeous and will stand a better chance for homing and it seems like your minds are made up it would also help the cats with less tension as they pick up everything I know mine did when my father died they were all quite subdued and nobody missed a grit box!

I have to say that friends of ours bring all their babies and young children to our home to expose them to cats and dogs and we haven't lost one yet and all have grown up to be nice kids and have a great respect for our animals - we have 40+ cats and 2 Border Collies all livnng in our home and I may mop a bit more and wipe surfaces a bit more but haven't poisoned anybody or caught germs from the cats who go where they like I hasten to add in fact I butter my toast most mornings with 5 sitting on the surrounding work tops and apart from the odd cat hair am hale and hearty!

Have to say The Team are wonderful with Findlay and Lottie has had a rough time but Findlay and his furry siblings have helped them through some very harowing times and nobody is worse for it in fact I think he has an amazing bond with the cats and they are helping him to be Findlay!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Peter i think you should take batterseas offer (they are being extremely helpful holding on to valuable space another couple of days!) the idea of them being penned isnt nice but them being restricted in their own home with less attention isnt much better.
They are beautiful young cats and stand a good chance of being homed quickly, the facilities there look fab better than many places can offer

• Distinguished Cat
We can show concrete proof cats do no harm to babies providing commonsense steps are taken and being around cats has a positive benefit to children as they grow.

I think this is quite good proof! http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31734.msg570480.html#new

Peter: I think you have made up your mind but please read this just in case it will make you reconsider. I have 1 baby who has special needs and has spent many months in hospital and requires a lot of additional care.

When he was in hospital we used to record the cats chirruping and purring onto a minidisc player and take it in for him to listen to and after he had several major surgeries it really helped calm him down when he was in pain.

He had pictures in his hospital room of him with the cats and the nurses and doctors all thought it was wonderful. Findlay’s occupational therapist, physio and speech therapist all think it is fantastic the bond he has with them and have commented on the positive effect they are having on his development  (one of our cats in particular helps with his physio exercises 4 times a day). With the sheer amount of medical people my baby has seen and still sees if cats were a health hazard to him (and he has a rubbish immune system so picks up every bug going ) someone would have said and yet nobody has.

Sometimes when Findlay is very upset about something nothing will calm him down apart from the cats and he has a wonderful bond with them which with everything has been through in his life it really does at times bring a tear to my eye

Research has proved the positive effect animals have on children and it has been proven as I stated below that children who grow up with animals have better immune systems than those who don’t.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
I have to say Peter, judging from what you've been saying, I think in your heart your mind is already made up.  :shy:  Between us all here we have successfully raised many children alongside cats with no problems. We can show concrete proof cats do no harm to babies providing commonsense steps are taken and being around cats has a positive benefit to children as they grow. And yes we put our babies first too as well - what parent wouldn't?  :shy: Yet sometimes the 'new parent' gene kicks in, often fuelled by poorly researched advice offered by well meaning but wrong people, and it's hard to see past that point or listen to acurate clinical evidence.  :innocent: How many vet nurses, vets or zoo keepers raise their own babies alongside animal babies without issues?  :shy:

Please don't let it get to the stage where you stop trusting your cats. They need and deserve your love and support too. They will suffer if you allow your feelings toward them to change as they will sense it. It will confuse them if you stop allowing them to do things which they were allowed to do before.  :(

I would say unless you can see and are prepared to take in all the evidence and advice you've been offered by people who've faced your circumstances before, the best action is to take up these rescue spaces and allow the rescues to give your cats a fresh start where they will be allowed to express their full personalities and natures.  :)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
some people may think im being silly but im just putting our babies health first.

I do think you are being far too over protective, however, that is your choice and you will have to do what you are comfortable with.
Good luck, hope it all works out best for your beautiful cats

• Distinguished Cat
so do you feel a cat sitting all over my babies play mat for example doesnt cause a health hazzard?

No I don't see that as a health hazard (and thankfully nor have any of the numerous amount of medical professionals my baby has seen/does see)

Personally I would agree with Dawn, please take one of the rescue places you have been offered as you might not be able to find one in a few months and from what you have said it would be better for them and for you for them to be rehomed sooner rather than later. A good rescue will vet the new owners very thoroughly to make sure they go to a wonderful new home.

P.S: Both boys are gorgeous  :Luv:

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
gotta say peter I really think they would be better rehomed - I would really urge you to take one of the rescues places you've been offered, they are like gold dust

We couldnt face doing it this morning! Battersea are calling again on Friday morning to see if we've found anyone ourselves first

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
gotta say peter I really think they would be better rehomed - I would really urge you to take one of the rescues places you've been offered, they are like gold dust

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
Peter - They are just gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Here are 2 leaflets produced by Cats Protection which you may find useful:
http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg07-catsandchildren/
http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/catcareleaflets-eg08-catsandallergies/

Whatever you decide, just want to wish you good luck .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:02:33 AM by Edd »

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
so do you feel a cat sitting all over my babies play mat for example doesnt cause a health hazzard? to me cat hair all over that isnt right?

Reaction wise its just sneezing as we havent let them near her since so obviously we cant be sure!

As I said though thats just a small part of it, they live in the kitchen dining rooms and i'm not a big fan of the mess they often bring in especially when they are jumping around the kitchen surfaces all the time when the babies food is being prepared

some people may think im being silly but im just putting our babies health first.

I;d much rather try and re home them ourselves to make sure they go to a loving home they deserve though hence why i dont really want to take them to a resuce

• Distinguished Cat
Can I just ask what makes you think your baby is allergic to the cats? What kind of a reaction is it she has?

Provided your baby doesn't have a diagnosed severe allergy to the cats then bringing a baby up alongside cats has enormous benefits to the baby both socially and developmentally. It has also been proven that children who grow up with pets have less allergies than those who don't.

As long as your cats are wormed regularly and you keep litter trays away from your baby then the cats present no health hazard to the baby at all.

Your cats walking alongside your baby, snuggling up with the baby or sitting next to or on her toys etc is far more hygenic than when she is older and decides to put soil and things in her mouth when playing outside.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
What stunning boys.  :) I've also read your posts and thought the same as Rosella and Michelle - it sounds like you're just really worried about the hygiene aspect with regards to children and cats.

A lot of people can have both in their homes with no trouble, I hope it works out that this is the case for you Peter, because Mack and Oscar look two very content boys. ;)

One of our members (CC, I think) has some wonderful pictures of her little one using one of her cats as a pillow! :evillaugh:

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
Rosella

thats perfect thanks very much!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Two gorgeous Tabbies  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Mack (cautious, sweet and affectionate)

Oscar (bold and loving)

Hope I've got that right Pete.  Let me know if needs amending.

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
I've sent you a personal message Peter.  Feel free to email me your pics and I'll post on this thread with pleasure  :)

great thanks have replied with the pics, appreciate that!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
we've decided to keep hold of them for now and ask around friends and family first to see if anyone would like to re home them that way. Both my wife and I really dont want to see them in a rescue home so feel we need to try and find somewhere else ourselves first as this happend all very quickly!

we're going to try and give it a couple of months and if we cant find anyone then we'll have to look at the rescue, but we want to at least try. Obviously we're aware that come summer it will be more tricky to get them in a rescue but we feel we need to look for them first!

We have pics but cant re size them to post and i;d really like them to be uploaded in case anyone in the London/Kent/Surrey areas see them!

Morning Peter!

I am glad you arn't rushing into something you might regret.

If you do decide to rehome, you could put notices in your local vets. (Foxgroves must be near you)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
I've sent you a personal message Peter.  Feel free to email me your pics and I'll post on this thread with pleasure  :)

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
we've decided to keep hold of them for now and ask around friends and family first to see if anyone would like to re home them that way. Both my wife and I really dont want to see them in a rescue home so feel we need to try and find somewhere else ourselves first as this happend all very quickly!

we're going to try and give it a couple of months and if we cant find anyone then we'll have to look at the rescue, but we want to at least try. Obviously we're aware that come summer it will be more tricky to get them in a rescue but we feel we need to look for them first!

We have pics but cant re size them to post and i;d really like them to be uploaded in case anyone in the London/Kent/Surrey areas see them!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:15:24 AM by peter81 »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Peter - Rosella has just said exactly what I was coming back on here to say

Its obvious you don;t want to part with these cats so try and relax alittle bit.
They really arnt going to harm your baby.

Does your wife/partner also worry about the cats around your Daughter ?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Please don't be offended Peter as no offence intended but sometimes people find it difficult to be completely rational when a baby is involved.  The instinct to protect just kicks in; helped along with a few old wives tales and other misinformation.

There's no reason why your lovely tabbies can't stay around your baby as she grows up with no harm to her; in fact will help her develop a respect and love of animals as she grows up.  It worked with me and my siblings.  It's sad that you feel they are a threat to her health.  For all concerned  :hug:

One of the members on this site has a young boy and took the most incredible photos of him with one of her gorgeous Norwegian Forest Cats.  It was so obvious that both baby and cat were best of pals  :)  

I am sure you will do your best for Oscar and Mack whatever you decide  :)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
I see what you are saying but most of us here have brought babies up around our cats.

Is there a reason why they arnt allowed in the rest of the house ?
This way you could then cut down the amount of time they spend in the kitchen.
Although, as long as the surfaces are wiped down theres little chance of your baby catching anything from the cats.

I can see that you are putting your baby first but as long as the place is kept clean the cats really shouldn't make your little one ill.

Main reason being the baby to be honest, I dont want them walking/sitting/sleeping on her stuff??

Then please let them go to one of the rescues that have offered you a place s

Offline peter81

• Adult Cat
I see what you are saying but most of us here have brought babies up around our cats.

Although, as long as the surfaces are wiped down theres little chance of your baby catching anything from the cats.

I can see that you are putting your baby first but as long as the place is kept clean the cats really shouldn't make your little one ill.

Main reason being the baby to be honest, I dont want them walking/sitting/sleeping on her stuff??

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
to be honest Peter they are just doing normal cat stuff and if you don't want that you would be better off taking up one of the rescues places, you can then just enjoy your baby without concerning yourself with these sort of things, a rescue will make sure they get a good home - they've got a lot of years left in them and it would give them a second chance

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey

Link to CatChat