Author Topic: MIKEYS RESCUE & WHEELCHAIR FUND  (Read 75957 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: MIKEYS WHEELCHAIR FUND
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:43 AM »

Bless Pav.  :)  She's the best!

Doesn't Mikey look one happy little lad with his new goodies?  ;D   I think you're taking the right attitude Heather - slowly does it.  Am sure the makers of Mikey's wheels will have some tips and ideas for getting him used to them   :hug: :hug:

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2010, 23:04:03 PM »
LOL Mary!! He's got the barbeque already...its down there with a green cover over it! lol
I do keep thinking I must move it though because he always want to get under the cover when he's on his harness! I'm sure I can 'make' him a pond with a washing up bowl and a few plastic fish just to make it complete ! :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2010, 22:17:36 PM »
Pav you are such a sweetheart  :hug:

Mikey's private garden is fantastic - when's he getting the fish pond and the barbecue?  :evillaugh: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2010, 22:02:30 PM »
Well peoples generousity and thoughtfulness never cease to amaze me!! Today when I got home there was a padded envelope on my mat addressed to Mikey...I thought 'Blimey he really is getting his paws under the table if he's having his mail sent here!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Anyway...inside were 3 lovely toys for him that Pav (who I'm reliably informed is Papillon on the forum) had bought him from the Purrs shop and sent to him as a surprise! He really is such a spoilt boy....and what a lovely thought..... :thanks: Pav, and these are from Mikey :cat rub: :cat rub: :cat rub:
I've posted some 'action shots of him playing with one of them so you can see him appreciating them :)

On the wheels front....they are still proving a little difficult at the moment which is really frustrating!!! I just wish that I could have a sensible conversation with him and explain what is happening when I'm trying to put him in this metal contraption!lol
He's not completely stressing over it tbh which I guess is a good thing, and I've had him kind of sitting ON it rather than IN it, which again I guess is a start, but because I can't get him to stand properly in it at the moment I can't adjust it properly...so its really very frustrating because I know how much better his life will be when he accepts them!
I will try and speak to the company in the next couple of days and explain the problems I'm having and see if they've got any suggestions.
I've managed to do a little run for him which is much bigger than any proper run off the pen would ever be so once he's in them he's got a lovely space now to just run around and enjoy himself in....so we're all ready for him and his wheels as soon as he is......the good news about the run is I can also take him for a walk in there on his harness without having to round all my 4 cats up into the house, so for that alone, its already proving to be a godsend!lol
I did use some of his Piggy bank money to buy the stuff to do it (hope thats ok with everybody!) so here's Mikey's own private garden when I can get him using his wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZST0A0Hnrqg

And here's the pics of him playing with his pressies!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2010, 15:56:57 PM »
Best of luck for Mikey xx

bless Arthur - sounds like a wonderful home for a wonderful boy  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2010, 14:09:06 PM »
Aaaw Mikey, bless your little heart darling.  Good luck with the scary looking machine  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
I was like that when I got my first car  :evillaugh:  I was scared to try it out.  Driving alone - scary scary!  Doubt it'll take Mikey long.  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2010, 22:21:16 PM »
 :Luv2: baby steps  :car:

Can't wait until he is used to them  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2010, 13:06:56 PM »
Like all new things it can take time. Bet once he realises what they do he will be zoom zooming around
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2010, 00:47:22 AM »
I think to him right now they look scarey and very big but I agree, onced he finds out how they work it will be zoom zoom  :red Current:

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2010, 23:41:30 PM »
Well Mikey's wheels turned up today!!  :wooooo: :wooooo:
However....he's not too impressed at the moment!lol  :omg:
I tried to put him in them and he slipped his head straight under the front strap and dragged himself straight out..so they needed adjusting a little. I did make some adjustments and tried again tonight but he was more interested in sinking his teeth into my wrist this time when I was trying to get him in ( no one said it would be easy!Lol)  :grrrrrr:
So I don't want him to get stressed over them so for tonight I just took them down to the pen and let him have a good sniff and rub round them - and he's had a play with one of the straps....so we'll just go slowly slowly with them, and hopefully we'll get there eventually! Lol
I'm sure the first time I can get him in them and he realises what they're for they'll be no stopping him!!  :car:

As for Arthur...well I took him to his new home tonight!! I felt really sad on the drive over as he's been such a lovely old boy to look after. Mind you, I'm not in the slightest bit worried about him! He came straight out of the carrier, had a sniff around, meowed for some food. While Chris (his new dad) sorted his food out he was meowing at his feet and then scoffed the lot lol. He then disappeared for a while and was curled up in one of the beds they have for him upstairs. He then came back downstairs jumped up on the arm of the chair had a big fuss then a play with his fish. He is just the happiest and luckiest boy in the world (but by golly, after what he's been through he certainly deserves it!)
Juat hope they still love him after he's doing his 'cawing like a crow' impression in the morning! LOL LOL

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
Lovely photo of Smudge, Mary, he's a little sweetie  :Luv2:

LOL Heather, there's no doubt Mikey would make room for you!  :catlove2: :catluv:  See you tomorrow hopefully! x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2010, 23:46:03 PM »
My bed that is....I'm not off down the cabin to say 'oy move over Mikey!'  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[/color]

I'm sure Mikey would make room for you  :rofl: :Luv2:  :hug:

Mary

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2010, 23:38:20 PM »
Ahhh Smudge is lovely Mary...bless his little soul x

Yes terrific news for Arthur!! I really couldn't've hoped for a more wonderful couple for him even if I had 'made them myself'! :rofl:

I do think the home check will just be a formality so fingers crossed for my lovely old gent....he could be in his new home for the weekend ;D

Mikey is doing well. I had a long day at work today so I think he was feeling rather neglected but we've had lots of fuss, cuddles and playtime since I've been home and he is now tired out and curled up asleep in his bed bless him....which is exactly where I'm going now!

My bed that is....I'm not off down the cabin to say 'oy move over Mikey!'  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2010, 23:31:04 PM »
So pleased for Arthur.  :Luv2: :hug:

I have a photo of my Smudge (RIP) yawning  :Luv2:

Mary

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2010, 18:13:56 PM »
that's great news - well done Arthur!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2010, 17:56:36 PM »
LOL Sue, according to Heather, he hasn't got many more!   :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2010, 17:54:00 PM »
That's wonderful news Shirley!  He so deserved a loving home.   :)   Fine set of fangs he's displaying there  :evillaugh:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2010, 17:30:05 PM »
Just to let everyone know-Arthur, Heather's other foster cat, the oldie, HAS GOT A HOME!!!!!!!  (Subject to a home check) A lovely couple went to see him last night and fell in love with him instantly!!!!!!  This is him (in case you've forgotten!)   :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2010, 07:01:17 AM »

He's another little soul with a heart that's much bigger than the world can contain, isn't he?   :Luv:  I just love him.  And wow, what a purr!!  :wow:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2010, 23:43:36 PM »
That was a PURRfect 15minutes of Mikey.

The tears came to my eyes towards the end of the fuss making one - he is so adorable and a chunky hunk and not a care in the world bless him.  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2010, 23:14:31 PM »
My goodness I think I would have thrown the pc !

Mikey is a real purrer and just loves his mouse  ;D

Great news about the OH relenting  ;D

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2010, 22:56:43 PM »
Wonderful news Gill, thats brilliant! Thank you soooo much everyone!  :hug: :hug:

Sorry I've been so quiet over the past few days....had a disaster on friday when I turned my computer on and my eight hours of work from thursday had been completely wiped out! (could've cried) so I've been playing catch up and have had to work most of the weekend  :(

Still, I've caught up now and am back on track so I've managed to take a couple of videos of Mkey as promised  :)

The first one is one that I haven't taken before and thats of MIkey and I having a nice fuss and cuddle at bedtime. I've left the sound on the video so you can hear what a lovely purr he has  :Luv2:. There are quite a few shots of the back of his head in the first half but perservere as there are some really cute shots later on!!
The second video is Mikey enjoying his playcube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1czVmduU57g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLKjunfRyk

He has spent a bit of time in his outdoor pen today and when I peeped at him he was happy watching the birds, pouncing on the midges, and lounging on his picnic blanket  8)

The OH has also agreed (finally relented?!) that I can sort out some sort of pen/run for Mikey so that he can have a bit more freedom when his wheels arrive. I am really happy about it as if I can keep him safe from harm in an enclosure of some kind he can be in his wheels for longer periods of time (than just the half hour when I can round up my 4 and lock them in!lol)and have so much more independence. Just got to decide on the best way to do it now.....dead excited to get both sorted though!!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2010, 21:02:02 PM »
Just brilliant!!   :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2010, 19:31:03 PM »
Big well donr to Everyone, sure Mikey and Heather will be delighted and it will help a lot. Will be great when Mikeys wheels arrive.

Mikey is one deserving cat

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2010, 19:28:14 PM »
 :wow: :wow: fantastic amount xx

A Meow Massages your heart.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2010, 18:39:05 PM »
£700 pounds has moved to Stourbridge today  ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
Bless him xx- He truly is a handsome lad  that face is just  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2010, 05:45:10 AM »
 :Luv:  Bless him.  He's got such a lovely little face.  Hope he's grinning from ear to ear once he figures out what the wheels are all about.  :Luv2:

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2010, 22:14:37 PM »
Thanks Zoe. I know when he does get used to them he'lll be off like a rocket if the way he is on the harness is anything to go by....the only thing that holds him back on that is me...I just can't keep up (its kind of hard because I need to keep close but don't want to step on his tail and if he has a quick change of direction I have to make sure he doesn't floor me!) It makes me laugh actually because when he's trying to run and I'm not quite keeping up with him his ears go back and he pushes his little chin out and really starts to pull harder with his front legs....a bit like on a treadmill....all the effort is there but he's basically not gaining much ground! lol  :rofl:

I told him his wheels were ordered and he smiled and did some mega purrs to show his appreciation to you all :Luv: :Luv:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2010, 21:18:01 PM »
Fab news Heather. I am sure through time Mikey will get used to his new wheels. It prob will take time but sure he will get there as it will give him so much more fredom, will just be getting used to having his wheels attached. seen rabbits before with them zooming around at some speed.

So happy for you and Mikey,

Cant wait for pics and videos

Love to you both

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2010, 21:14:36 PM »
LOL Mikey WAS one hot cat but I had him neutered before he came into my care!! As he was not only a hot cat he was also an incredibly smellly one too! LOL. Millie would eat him for breakfast :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BREAKING NEWS!!!! I have ordered MIKEYS WHEELS!!!! :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo: :wooooo:

I phoned the company today and had a really lovely chat with the guy that makes them. I have gone for the cart that he can lie down in. He said if he had any movement in his back legs when he is in the harness the other type would be better but because he hasn't then the laydown one would be best as his feet are tucked up and therefore won't drag along the floor. It doesn't sound easy to get him in it though so we will have to perservere and have a few struggles I suspect before we work out a system!There is a cat in one on their website though in the picture gallery....so I know it can be done!!lol
The good news is he said my measurements sounded about right but there is a certain amount of adjustment built in anyway so thats great! The other bit of good news is they gave me 15% discount because he is a rescue cat...so the total including delivery is £219 :-).
I did say I was really worried that where everyone has donated to help him get his wheels how embarrasing it would be if he just doesn't take to them...and he said if that is the case if I returned then within 30 days then they would offer a 70% refund! I'm sure he will be fine with them but that did give me a bit of peace of mind!
So he was just going to start manufacturing the next batch of carts this afternoon so Mikey's order just snuck in!! Hopefully in about a fortnight he should have them! Yippee!! He will so love it when he can get about on his own!

So.....in two weeks time watch this space.....!!!!!!!

Thanks again all you wonderful people   :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :hug: :hug: :thanks: :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2010, 20:23:13 PM »

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2010, 20:20:05 PM »
But Mikey is one hot cat  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 20:20:39 PM by puggy1975 Zoe »
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2010, 19:22:53 PM »
 :rofl:  Gill, he's too young!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2010, 17:27:48 PM »
Wonderful and Mikey wants a girl friend maybe  ;D

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2010, 17:22:57 PM »
....and a few more!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2010, 17:21:10 PM »
Had another loveley couple of hours with Mikey today! I sat in the pen with him for a while, then got a bit claustrophobic so decided to go talk to Arthur for a bit. Mikey had other ideas! He was by the door, thinking he was going for a 'walk' and so i couldn't get out! EVENTUALLY, i managed to tempt him into the main part of the pen and made my escape! I then went to sit with Arthur-he is just such a sweetheart, with the deepest meeow i've ever heard! As old as he is, he managed to jump onto one of the cat trees to use as a stepping stone to my lap! Had a bit of fuss, then climbed into his bed for a nap!
I asked if Mikey could go in his run (felt awful disturbing Heather cos she is SO busy!) but she set it up and he was having a good old sniff. One of her own cats appeared after a while, a gorgeous calico (?) called Millie. He was fasinated by her! Every time she moved, he moved so he could still see her! At one time she was peeping under the door of the pen, Mikey shot fom one end of his run to the other, knocked his carboard box out of the way, just so he could see her! SO CUTE!!!

Here's a couple of pics-not the best!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2010, 16:28:49 PM »
Also CC were involved but could not fund raise on there because of their charity status.

It was a big combined effort but all started by one small RSPCA branch in Stourbridge and Heather............amazing and am sure we all feel priviledged to help Mikey  ;D

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
I've only just seen this thread - what wonderful people you all are!!!

I'm afraid I have no spare pennies after having to pay my excess for Katie's treatment this month :-( but last year when she had some x-rays they could see what they thought was an air gun pellet in her top half (her fat had kept it away from anything serious!)

I just wondered if you could or should contact your local TV station to do a piece on Mickey when he has his new wheels? It may raise the profile of the branch, Purrs and also of course perhaps find him that loving home he deserves?!

J xxx
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat