Author Topic: constipation  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
Re: constipation
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 21:45:40 PM »
try rubbing it into the fur on her paw then when she cleans she will take it in dont just place it on the paw otherwise she will flick it off try rubbing it in
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline tuppence

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 21:05:46 PM »
Thanks for all the advice folks. The paste we got from the vet was lax-a-past, but she hates it !! her diet consists of.....various fishy pouches, especially tuna, fresh coley and chicken, senior biscuits, a bowl of squirty cream each night, a few chew sticks and the odd prawn. Doesn't do too bad does she !!

At the moment she's quite regular again, we'll try some of the other laxatives to see if she will take to them and also a little oil in the pouch.

Thanks again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 19:59:05 PM »
Has she had bloodwork done? Sometimes constipation goes along with other problems so given her age it would be a good place to start if not done already.
What does she eat now?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 17:04:11 PM »
I always start with some extra oil added i the food or of she will eat fish, a small amount of sardines/mackeral or tuna in oil

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 14:16:57 PM »
katalax is good u can also get another one online called laxapet which we used for missy and thats quite good but i did find adding just half a pouch a day to her diet help a little the laxapet is about £7 i cant remember what site i got it from but u can get it from ebay will try find out what site it was
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 14:19:31 PM by Kally »
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 21:17:06 PM »
Some of the better foods have Psyllium husk or other fibre in. Do you give her senior food? - it normally has higher fibre than adult food. What is the paste called? - is it Katalax?. You can buy it cheaper online and there are even cheaper versions of it my vet charged me £12 for a 20g Katalax but it is £6 online. You can get a 50g tube of a cheaper brand, called de-furrum for about £4.

What food is she on now>
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tuppence

• Kitten
constipation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 21:05:38 PM »
Hello folks,

Our 18 yr old female is in fine health but recently sometimes goes 2-3 days before a bowel movement. The vet says it should be every day and has given us a sort of brown paste to give her. This, of course is difficult to administer. Some people say that, like us, cats don't always need to go every day, some like our vet say it's essential.

Any advice ? also, are biscuits likely to make the situation better or worse ? Any beneficial foods ? like all cats she's fussy about her diet !!

Link to CatChat