Author Topic: Climbing the walls  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Climbing the walls
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
I know you say you live in a flat - Noah and I too :shy: - but then you say Kira rushes out of the front door, does that mean you have outside access? Noah has recently started to escape into our hallway, only since I have been working late or long shifts. In his case it seems to be that he more wants to know where I have been than actually go outside!

Is the outside space communal or is there are way you could catproof the area or provide a collapsible run (if such things exist)? Do all the cats get on or could this situation be related to having five feline personalities in a limited space? Noah's favourite solo play toy is his Bergan Turbo Track set up with flashing ball from the Purrs shop - we recommend the extra straights for more action.  :naughty:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 15:44:04 PM »
You don't mention how much time you spend playing with her.  Indoor cats need a lot of stimulation to prevent them becoming bored.  It sounds as though Maddy is bored (the climbing the walls thing is exactly what Mosi does regularly - he loves to knock pictures etc!  In his case it's partly because he can see the shadows of the picture frame or whatever, but it's also because he's bored and looking for trouble).  Have you tried spending some time each evening playing games with her?  Things like a laser, da bird etc.  Something that will give her physical exercise plus some mental stimulation.  Puzzle feeders etc are also useful.  In addition to that, have you tried moving things around - eg. cardboard boxes (put them in a different place and they suddenly become interesting again) and rotating her toys.  Cats get bored with the same toys in the same places every day.  Letting her outside would no doubt solve the problem by giving her an outlet for her frustration and boredom, but if that isn't possible making the indoor environment more stimulating might help.

re cleaning the places where she's weed - make sure you use biological washing powder or a commercial cleaner containing enzymes otherwise you wont' get rid of the smell (you might get rid of it to your nose but not to Maddy's) and she'll be attracted back.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 00:10:48 AM »
Herbal valerian root makes you and the cats sleep. Right away.
Maybe try a few drops in her water or make him/her smell it. Or both. And also some drops in their fur (chest area).
No side effects.
Sold in naturist stores. Used to cure insomnia in humans.
I also know of Bach flower remedies for pets.

Anyway I would start looking for a new owner its a good idea they can return it if they dont quite like each other.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 19:45:40 PM »
It does sound like she wants outdoor access, as a last ditch resort id have a behaviourist round, a decent one will only visit on referral from your vet  ;)
Zylkene is a supplement so certainly not a drug routine, however if you really dont want to give her up then a drug program may be your only option

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 16:58:40 PM »
never tried zyklene but have heard good things about  it - if you do a search you will probably find threads involving it, as far as I understand it doesn't really count as medication??

Offline littlemonsters

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 16:52:11 PM »
I say Vanish just for ease of reference. I've tried homemade concoctions of vinegar, baking soda etc, the usual remedies. I've also replaced my duvet, mattress and even sofas. I'm sure odour has a relevance here but it can by no means be the only reason.

Thanks for your reply, Gill. She is neutered, and has been since seven months old (and is fully up to date with her vaccinations, so she is in fact outdoor-ready, as it were). I'll research Vicky Halls, and have another word with my vet.

Funnily enough I picked up a leaflet for Zylkene last time I was at the vet's office, and it's something I'm happy to try - but what I don't want to do is force the cat onto lifelong (or briefly intermittent lifelong) medication, not for an illness that might be curbed with a little understanding and free range. As I said, this is a recurring problem and would involve the cat being on tablets for, say, half of each year.

It's so frustrating that Maddy and I can't have a spoken dialogue, in which she could tell me what to do for her.  :Crazy:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
my only other thought is you might need more than just vanish on the sofa to get rid of the smell (for cat noses not human).

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 23:21:24 PM »
My feeling is you have sussed this out completely right and she wants to be free to go outside......she is neuterred isnt she?

There are a couple of other options to try, have you tried felway plugs ins?, \\there is also a something called zykline which is a pill which ahs helped a number of cats on here by calming them down.

The last option is to get your vet to refer her to a cat behaviourist, \\\vicky Halls is highly recommended, if yopu are insured most insurances will cover up to £250 for this as long as referral is by vets..

She maybe able to be trained, or even could have a behavorial problem that drugs can be given to help, again we have a cat on Purrs in this latter category. THis is something a good behaviourist would be able to tell.

I am afraid thats the extent of my limited knowledge  but hope that you are able to sort her out  :hug: :hug:

Offline littlemonsters

• Kitten
Climbing the walls
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 23:01:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Despite being a seasoned cat owner, I am very much in need of some advice concerning one of my not-so-little ones, and thought here would be a good place to start.

I'm having a recurring problem with one of my 5 year old cats. Usually the situation rights itself after a week, but we're currently in our second month of suffering this issue, with no end in sight.

My cat is quite literally climbing the walls.

To give you a little background, she is the second oldest of my five cats, with whom she gets on well. She's extremely friendly and sociable - would probably walk away with anyone given the chance - and usually a jolly character. On the other hand, she can be quite sensitive and temperamental, and very easily stressed.

Her stress has manifested in a couple of ways, such as urinating in inappropriate places, plucking the fur on her tummy, and, most recently, by destroying the house. Each time we go through this phase, we always get her checked out by the vet. Aside from one bout of cystitis, there has never been anything physically wrong with the animal (which has been confirmed by various blood and urine tests).

My cats are all indoor only - and always have been. This particular cat, Maddy, was a feral kitten, but since coming to my home at the age of about three months, she's only known the inside of a building. Attempts to take her out on a harness have not been successful - she simply sits by the door waiting to be let back in. However, Maddy quite frequently makes attempts to rush out the front door when it opens. Once outside she simply strolls around purring.

At the moment, she is making my - and her own - life a misery by urinating on the sofa/floor (which I am 99% sure is not related to any litter tray trauma - there is a good number of trays, which have not moved or had a new brand of litter, and we often see her go in there [not to mention the fact we never find any poo around the house, just urine]), and by climbing the walls. I say climbing the walls, by that I mean she is attacking anything hanging on the wall (pictures, clocks, you name it - it smashes!), usually at night. I know it's probably a sign that she is bored, which I have tried to counter by playing with her all evening when I can, and by providing plenty of toys on rotation. It's certainly enough exhaustion and stimulation for the other four, and I make sure they all get equal attention.

My gut feeling is that she wants out. I can't give her that as I, like a lot of people who live in major cities, live in a flat. I feel like she needs a family in the countryside, who will be happy to let her snuggle on their laps all evening, but who can give her a free pass into meadows at night. Or do you think I am completely misreading the situation? I know you can't really say without knowing her, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I adore Maddy and don't want to rehome her. The constant use of Vanish on the soft furnishings and the sleepless nights are a real pain in the proverbial behind, but I can put up with it if I feel that this home, and my little family, are what she still wants and needs. But if she would be happier somewhere else, with more space and a whole outdoor world for her to terrorise(!), then it's something I very seriously need to consider. I debated looking for a "foster" owner, who could take Maddy on a loan-to-own type arrangement, whereby (s)he can keep the cat if it works out, and return her if it doesn't. A sort of trial and error process.

If you can give me any advice or encouragement I'd greatly appreciate it. I really want her to be happy.

Thank you.

Link to CatChat