Author Topic: Make yourself at home why don't you!!  (Read 5803 times)

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
  • Whiskers now at the bridge & Phoebe currently AWOL
Re: Make yourself at home why don't you!!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 19:59:07 PM »
Hi Cozmo and  :welcome: to purrs.

This is a very long shot but I have to ask you. I'm in Kent, not too far from you and my cat Phoebe has been missing since Sept 2007.

Are you able to post a larger picture of your new arrival for me to have a look at? Thank you

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Puddles (we miss you x) and Cookie
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 18:21:39 PM »
Just read this and its really made me smile, how clever of her to pick such loving and caring people  :wow:

She sounds wonderful, and it just reassures my faith in humanity that people out there are so kind and sweet to our feline friends. My cat was shot and dumped a little while ago, and was returned to me two weeks later with a very swollen and poorly leg, though i am very lucky to have got my baby back, i'd like to think that with people like you out there these things are much less likely to happen.

I hope you and the little angel will be really happy

Jenny x x x 
St Gertrude, keep my cat all night
From trap or poison, thorn or bite,
From speeding cars and thieving men,
And bring him safely home again.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 17:01:12 PM »
Probably goes without saying but if you do the paper collar thing, please make sure you don't put tape all the way round in case the cat gets caught on something (sorry if that come across the wrong way  :shy: )

Thanks for caring for this little cat  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 16:58:33 PM »
cats are supposed to like the ss sound (as in Puss) so Mystique is good

it's often the way that the cats who find us are the easiest to care for, as they brought it on themselves ;)
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 16:53:05 PM »
Definitely Mystique - I already know of a black cat called Magic. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 19:44:45 PM »
Thats a lovely name  ;D

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
  • To be sane would be true madness
    • Cozmo
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 19:16:30 PM »
I was thinking Mystique (I love X-Men) or Magic (like black magic).

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 17:44:42 PM »
Time to start thinking of some names ....

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 17:41:21 PM »
Blimey....I feel so honoured!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 17:27:14 PM »
Sounds like she has nearly got a new home that she chose  ;D

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 17:21:07 PM »
She's not microchipped as I've checked her (have a scanner at work). She had no collar. The vets have put her on record for anyone who's lost a cat and the pass it round to all the local vets. Its like a network thing round here I think.

Will look up that register thingymajig.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 17:18:28 PM »
I'd definitely check registers because the cat may have got in a van somewhere and ended up out of it's area.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 17:16:43 PM »
it sounds as if she is lost or looking for a better home.  cats choose their own when they are not happy in theirs.

i would look on national pet rregister to see if she is reported missing, get her checked for a chip at vets and ask local vets to put up a found poster. if no claims after a period, would ask them to take down again.

you obviously can do loads more locally but i will leave that up to you........sounds so like what my kocka RIP did when she first walked into my garden 15 years ago......once she had found me she never left again and she changed me from a cat hater to a cat lover

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 17:15:00 PM »
Thanks Janeyk. The vets seem to believe its a stray too. We've asked so many of the neighbours too...nobody owns it but has seen it around for about 2 weeks on and off.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 17:10:28 PM »
Thanks for caring for the poor puss, he/she does sound to have taken to you!  If the ear is tipped that's usually what is done if a feral cat has been trapped, neutured and released.  You could put a paper collar on the cat and fasten with a bit of sellotape and write on something like 'does this cat belong to you, if so please phone xx'.   You could also check lost and found registers - rescues and vets often know of lost/found cats.   It does sound like this puss could be a stray though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 17:15:08 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Cozmo

• Adult Cat
    • Cozmo
Make yourself at home why don't you!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 16:56:43 PM »
Ok firstly, sorry for my rushed post in the newbie section but I really wanted to get posting in here as a cat seems to have wandered into mine and my partners life!

On Friday, we came home in the evening from a day out to find a little black cat sat on our doorstep. As soon as my fella unlocked the front door it ran inside, up the stairs and plonked itself on our spare bed!! Now, we are animal lovers (1 dog, 1 rabbit, 1 frog, 2 snakes, 2 tortoises, 5 leopard geckos, 14 fish and 14 guinea pigs), so its not a problem...just bloody cheeky! LOL! We gave it a bit of tuna (and it was starving) and a bit of milk (before we found out you shouldn't feed cats cows milk) and put it out on the doorstep.

Saturday morning I was out in the shed feeding our guinea's and talking to my fella (Jay) when I heard meowing. I told him to go open the front door and there it was. The same little black cat from the night before, and AGAIN, ran in and upstair. PLONK on the spare bed and went to sleep. I had to turf it out a few hours later as I was going out for the day and cuz of the dog, didn't want to risk a fur fight if I left the cat in.

Anyways, we didn't see this cat again for a couple of days, then on Tuesday morning when I was opening up my car, getting ready to put the dog in, she was staring at something in the neighbours front garden, I told her to come and get in the boot of the car. Then saw the little black cat walk over to our front steps and sit down. I opened the front door to tell Jay the cat was back and again. She ran in.

He put her out when he left for work but when I got home (at 12pm) there this cat was. On our door step. Waiting for me to open the door so it could run back in. Since then it hasn't left the house, has no interest what-so-ever of leaving. We can open the front door in front of it (which is actually a her) and she just doesn't have any reason to go. If she's not on the spare bed she's on the computer desk chair in our bedroom.

She was eating A LOT so I went and got her a wormer, also she has a bit of a dandruff problem so I've Frontlined her with Spot On. We've got a litter tray, some Sophistercat (or whatever its called) kitty litter, a scoop and a cat scratching post.

I have heard of rescues capturing strays and neutering them, making a mark in their ear and then letting them go. Well this cat has all the signs of that so I do really wonder if its a stray. However it has an incredibly nice tempterment for a "wild" cat so I just don't know.

I think we'll end up keeping her if no one claims her as it seems like she's fallen in our laps.

Any advise on what you guys think I should do with this cat would be greatly appreciated as I've never had cats before (just work with them as I work at a kennels/cattery).

Link to CatChat