Author Topic: New cat welfare group in Leeds  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: New cat welfare group in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »
A slightly belated  :welcome: to Purrs, Feral Cat Welfare: glad you found us and good luck with your venture.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Feral Cat Welfare

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
What a lovely photo!  and thank you for sharing the fact that ferals can live harmoniously together.  Many people have the impression that ferals are wild, fighting, antisocial creatures to be avoided at all costs, yet my own ferals are the most sociable, and have all turned out to be totally lovable.  One called Mia, now 12 years old, came to me as a hissing, spitting, terrified mother of three kittens 11 years ago.  It took her a year to stop hiding and hissing then suddenly it clicked - she realised this ingrained habit was unnecessary and hisses turned to purrs.  She now lies on her back on my bed with legs spredeagled and I kiss her tummy while she purrs like an engine!  Thank you again for sharing your photo, it really is lovely.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 22:55:49 PM »
apart from the greys and whiskers there  ;D , i especially like the one rolling around on the dresser at the back  :rofl: :rofl:

ummmmm do you have a licence for him  :innocent:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 22:17:36 PM »
Welcome to Purrs and hope to see all your ferals - a subject close to our hearts here at the Clan Cats

Just to show how ferals adapt please meet some of ours ranging from 8 years young to 7 months
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
 :scared:   :shy:   :-:   Hello and thank you for your good wishes.  We have already received our first plea for help - three 12 wk old kittens, shy but daring enough to be stroked when eating so the potential to tame very easily.  We don't have enough volunteers at the moment to take fostering on board but we're making an exception for these three kits that need our help immediately.  A kind friend is helping us out with her spare bedroom in which we'll put a fold up pen so that the kits don't immediately hide in the darkest corners and smallest spaces.  This is how we bring kittens round, encourage them to get used to sounds, scents, activity, and, with the help of dangly toys and feathers on sticks they're soon playing and forgetting they were scared.  If anyone out there lives in Leeds and would like to give it a go, you could start of with this lovely threesome - there will be many more needing our help over the next few weeks.  Kitten season has begun!  xxx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

What a great thing to do, wishing you lots of luck xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi there, and welcome aboard  :welcome:  Well done on your aims and efforts, and am sure everyone here will join me in wishing you good luck with the venture.

• Adult Cat
New cat welfare group in Leeds
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
 ;D  Hello cat lovers!  We're a newly formed cat welfare group in Leeds (Yorkshire).  Four cat charities have closed in Leeds over the past 18 months leaving many stray and feral cats without support.  We have formed Feral Cat Welfare to help those cats that are living outside and were once supported by Adel Cats Protection before it was closed in January.  Adel CP did a great job in Leeds trapping, neutering and returning so many feral cats who were happier living in their own habitat, but they also used to provide food, shelters and veterinary attention when needed.  We hope to raise funds to continue this care so that the cats don't suffer and we welcome new volunteers to help us do this.  We have just bought five kennels to site in south Leeds where there is a colony of over 20 feral cats and not enough shelter for them all.  They have been neutered by Cats Protection in the past and their feeder is now being helped by receiving food.  We'll let you know when our website is up and running - no doubt there will be kittens appearing all over Leeds as spring approaches, under hedges, on building sites, wasteland and in derelict buildings and if we manage to recruit fosterers and raise enough funds we'll be bringing these little families into care for rehoming.  Be back later with updates!

Link to CatChat