Re: hi
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 00:40:28 AM »
Keeping fingers crossed  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 22:58:50 PM »
That's good to hear, fingers crossed here too!

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 22:22:53 PM »
hi,

he has been fine since his fit on thursday so fingers crossed it wont happen again,

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 13:57:39 PM »
Sorry have missed this thread and as Zoe said, epilepsy in cats is quite rare.

My late Napoleon had seizures but a brain infection not epilepsy.

Although it sounds rather daft but only by MRI scan can they be fairly sure it is eplilepsy because nothing shows! Also no tests show a problem. The definition of epilepsy is that there is nothing eveident to cause the seizures.

However MRI scans are expensive and although loads of places do them it takes an expert to read them, I know that Zoes Ollie was scanned but Napoleon was too ill to travel the distance needed.

You really need a good insurance that can pay out thousands to get MRI.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 22:21:03 PM »
okay had mikey down at the vet, they took a blood test and everything was normal, said it was definately epilepsy and that nothing in the environment could cause the fits, she said the fact they both have developed epilepsy was just really bad luck, she never gave me meds cause she said some cats may only have a fit every now and then,  said just see how he gets on, well soon as i got home he had another fit, so phoned them and going back tomorrow for my third visit this week, aarrrgh

What a hansome pair  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Sounds like a horrible coincidence then for them both to develop it  :(  :hug: Hope any future fits are few and far between  :hug:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 22:02:30 PM »
Snap, me too - Always had cats at home since a small child - no real illnesses, although I have lost a couple of cats on the roads in the past.
First serious illness I came up against was Phoebe and she was so young, as is Hugo (but hopefully we will still have lots of time ahead of us)
That must have been scary today when you got back from the vet  :scared:   I hope they find out what's causing the problems with your boys.   :-:  At least if you know exactly what it is, you can start to work out what you need to do to keep them on an even keel.

Coincidentally at our last review my vet was telling me that she has a cat who has fits, she said her cat comes up to her and lets her know beforehand and sometimes she can tell a fit is on the way by her cats expression.  Reading some of the comments here too, I didnt realise it was so common an ailment.   Fingers crossed your vet can help more tomorrow

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 19:33:10 PM »
sorry to hear your cat has health problems scooby, i've had cats for 33 years and never had any health problems until these two, its heartbreaking really but just need to get on with it,...

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 19:29:23 PM »
okay had mikey down at the vet, they took a blood test and everything was normal, said it was definately epilepsy and that nothing in the environment could cause the fits, she said the fact they both have developed epilepsy was just really bad luck, she never gave me meds cause she said some cats may only have a fit every now and then,  said just see how he gets on, well soon as i got home he had another fit, so phoned them and going back tomorrow for my third visit this week, aarrrgh

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
You have really cute putty tats  :Luv:

Oh and don't worry about us newbies reading worrying stories - I've had my fair share here  :(   Our  little Hugo has mitral valve dysplasia and we lost little Phoebe cat 2 years ago with polycistic kidney disease....   :(   So I know exactly how much you must be worrying about your gorgeous boys  :hug: :hug:

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
okay last one, hehe

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 00:58:57 AM »
thats him all grown up...

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 00:56:48 AM »
thats him at 6 weeks

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 00:53:51 AM »
sorry forgot to reply about is age,  mikey is only two, jonesy is three

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 00:51:22 AM »
sorry i shouldnt have posted under the welcome section, didnt even realise i had done that this morning i was so upset, so sorry for the newbies to hear my depressing story,

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 00:42:47 AM »
hi tiggys mum, I was crying all morning it was terrible, i couldnt believe it when i pulled the covers back and it was mikey under there, the fit was short but he took ages to get conscious again, i have been trying to think of anything that could have caused it but i just dont know, he had been lying under a fleecy blanket all night on the bed and i read that overheating can make them fit, but surely if he was hot he would have woke up and moved, thankfully he has been his normal self since it happened, he is obsessed with capsules and my husband takes a lot of medication, he swallowed an antacid tablet recently but it wasnt harmful, but we are really careful about pills now, the thing with the artex is people say if there is asbestos in old plaster that as long as its not disturbed it shouldnt be harmful, my old tortoiseshell cat used to scratch the corner of the wall so bits of plaster would come off, she got mouth cancer but she was 16 so i cant say it was anything to do with that, It might just be ordinary plaster but i need to know now after this happening, he has an appointment tomorrow afternoon so will see what they say, was at the vet yesterday for jonesys check up, bloomin sick of the place!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 23:08:27 PM »
Sorry to have to welcome you back at such a worrying time again  :(  :hug:

How old is Mikey? It does seem a coincidence for two unrealted cats to both have what seems to be a relatively rare condition so definitely worth asking the vet if there are any triggers that may have caused it, the potential asbestos sounds a worry  :hug:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 22:47:24 PM »
Hi there, I'm new here too. 
So sorry to hear about your kitties problems.  Beautiful pictues  :Luv:
Hope you manage to get to the bottom of the fitting - it's such a worry when they're poorly
 :hug:

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 20:10:20 PM »
and  :welcome: to Purrs Herven.
How is Jonsey doing hope she's is benifiting from the meds.
She is absolutely gorgeous  :)

Denise
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 15:04:37 PM »
Definitely, as epilepsy not common in cats so pretty strange. Defo get it tested. I have heard of the asbestos thing as my inlaws got it removed from their council house few years back as they had asbestos. Poor we soul. I know what it's like cause Ollie :( how has Jonesy been?
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 14:54:17 PM »
I was thinking that zoe, two unrelated cats?   I inherited artex on the walls when i moved here and never got it removed cause its expensive, I been told if its old artex from  the eighties it may contain asbestos, so im starting to wonder if this could be causing it, my old cat died three years after moving here from mouth cancer and she would sometimes scratch the wall, im telling the housing association to get it tested

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 14:46:40 PM »
Ohh Jan really can't Beleive that . Poor Mikey :( really what's the chances if that
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 14:35:13 PM »
I woke up in the middle of the night when i heard a seizure going on at the bottom of my bed, assuming it was jonesy i pulled the covers back and it was mikey, im devastated...

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 19:02:00 PM »
Jonsey is just so adorable. Hope she is doing ok  :hug:

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 22:57:12 PM »
hi to zoe, i think i sent you a personal message, if it didnt get there, thanks for all the info on the epilepsy, jan

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 22:50:37 PM »
hello im new to forums so it could take me a while to figure it all out!

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 22:24:31 PM »
I jan I sent u a pm
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 15:36:29 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, hevern.  Glad you found us and decided to join.

That must have been a very frightening experience, but I am sure sure that your vet will be able to give you a management regime for little Jonesy  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
Hi Jan and  :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

gorgeous picture of your Jonesy  :Luv:

sorry to hear she is suffering epilepsy but hopefully the treatment will keep it well under control, hugs to her  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:58:27 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »
 :welcome: to purrs

your picture is not gigantic so dont make them any smaller  ;D

i am sooooooooooo surprised that the vet has guessed at epilepsy, mt cat franta started having seizures a year ago but is not diagnosed with it. he had bouts every 3-4 months although ay begiining of feb was much milder and fewer. he is given abs injecions by me for 7 days.

his symtoms are exactly like ollies, wwho has been fully tested.

epilepsy in cats is very rare but yours is ther second one in last few months here to have epilepsy guessed at. do hope she is insured  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:32 AM »
Hi Jan, i Just live outside Glasgow and my cat Ollie was diagnosed with Epilepsy in November. Its been a tough time over last few months but things starting to settle down..

Will drop you a PM with all the info and probs etc i have came accross.

Jonsey is a stunning little kitty. Do you have him insured??

I totally understand what you are going through and I thought Ollie was going to die when he took unwell at first. Even my Vet was very worried about him.

Just in work just now so will PM you when home

Hugs to you and Jonsey  :hug: :hug:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 00:59:25 AM »
hi helen, thanks for your welcome, sorry about the gigantic pic!, i must find out how to resize...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 00:16:51 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Jan, sorry it's at such a worrying time  :hug:

Sounds like a terribly frightening experience for both of you, I've no experience of epilepsy myself and it's not something that's too common in cats but there is another member from Scotland who's cat has recently been diagnosed so hopefully she'll be along soon to pass on her experiences.

Jonesy is absolutely stunning by the way  :Luv:

Offline hevern

• Adult Cat
hi
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 00:07:17 AM »
hi im jan, i have an eleven month old female cat called jonesy, on saturday she had two fits, this has never happened before, i took her to the emergency vet and was told she had epilepsy, she is on medication and is going back to the vet in a fortnight, i have had cats all my life but have no experience of epilepsy in cats, at first i thought she was choking on something and i really thought she was going to die, it was extremely upsetting, she was frothing at the mouth and nose she wet herself and her muscles were rigid, thankfully it didnt last too long, does anyone have any info on what to expect, hello to everyone on the forum, jan , glasgow

Link to CatChat