Author Topic: Have you ever flown with your cat?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Have you ever flown with your cat?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 18:21:42 PM »
I have some sympathy with the people suffering allergic responses - pet allergies are very common (much more so than peanuts or fragrances!) and can lead to life threatening asthma attacks. It's very difficult to avoid cats and dogs in daily life partly as a minority of pet owners are inconsiderate - my parents apartment block does not allow pets yet someone let their cat wander the corridors! The obvious solution is to make designate some flights as pet friendly and others not, if you wish to take a pet or specifically avoid pets you might be put out a little but the benefits for each party should outweigh the inconvenience.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Have you ever flown with your cat?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 15:46:43 PM »
Here is an artical from the Independent on Sunday.

A report in an influential medical journal has called for airlines to ban passengers flying with pets in the cabin.

In the February issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, an editorial entitled "Pets in airplane cabins: an unnecessary allergic hazard" criticized the decision of Air Canada to allow small pets such as cats, dogs and birds to travel in aircraft cabins.

Citing research that suggests one in ten people suffer an allergy to animals, the doctors behind the article believe that new legislation to protect passengers with severe peanut allergies should be extended by the Canadian Transport Agency to passengers with allergies to pets. Many global airlines no longer serve peanuts as inflight snacks due to the risk of allergic passengers suffering from severe reactions prompted by peanut dust in re-circulated air.

"The preferences of pet owners should not supersede the well-being of their fellow passengers. Pets can be accommodated comfortably and safely in airplane cargo holds, which is where they belong," said the authors. "Airlines must choose to put the needs of their human passengers first, or be forced to do so."

In 1998, a study published in the New Zealand Medical Journal identified cat allergen on 100 percent of sampled airplane seats on domestic flights and 16 percent of seats on international flights. Despite this, according to airline review site Seatguru.com several major airlines - including Air France, Continental, KLM, JetBlue, JAL, Lufthansa, Swiss and United Airlines - allow caged pets to travel in passenger cabins on certain routes.

Pet owners are often reluctant to allow pets to travel in the holds of aircraft which, although pressurized, may suffer temperature fluctuations and can be traumatic for pets. Aiming to allay the fears of owners, "Pet Airways" launched pet-only flights between five US cities in April 2009.
Here is a direct link to the news story: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/doctors-call-for-airline-pet-ban-1906170.html

As someone who travels frequently with my cat Leo, I am very much against a ban on them in the airplanes. If you take into account possible allergies, how about we take that to an extreme and ban any purfume or scented products on people as well? We can have sniffers at the gate and if they detect any scent the people can be banned. Many people due suffer from the chemicals in the scents. Of let's ban people who are large enough they spill over into your space. I get that all the time and hate it.

The idea of this is just so wrong.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Link to CatChat