Author Topic: Meet my new FOSTER Sasha -UPDATE!  (Read 13491 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Meet my new FOSTER Sasha -UPDATE!
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2010, 22:12:48 PM »
Bonnie's fine with her booster BUT I remember Smudge was always fed up and didn't eat much for a few days after.

Hope she comes around soon bless her.  :Luv2:

It's probably just a mixture of things cos she's had a lot to deal with lately and she will soon be ok hopefully.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2010, 21:12:15 PM »
must admit I do not intend to have any blood tests done on mine as long as they seem happy and healthy

there's a lot of money being made out of testing and medicating, and I am a bit sceptical myself - but then I and cats go back to the days before there were these tests and treatments, and cats didn't seem to die that much younger
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2010, 18:32:34 PM »
Sorry to hear her appetite isn't good, it could be the boosters I know my cats have always reacted that way for 24-48 hrs after.   I know what you mean about the meds though it does make you wonder when they get side effects.  Hopefully it will just be the boosters and she will start to pick up again soon  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2010, 18:25:22 PM »
Sasha's appetite isnt so good these past few days - this is since the vet visit and since she started the Istin - could it be the Istin reducing her appetite I wonder - or could it be the booster? (she only had a cat flu/enteritis booster - the owners couldnt remember when she'd last had boosters) you know, I was in 2 minds as to whether to booster her or not, wonder if its just too much for her system at her age? but vet advised would be good idea as she will eventually be mixing with the other cats, so I went with it, not sure know if I've done the right thing for her now  :(

She's not hyperthryoid, but her kidneys are prob early stage dysfunction, creatinine and urea not too high (not got the results in front of me yet) but something inthe blood showed azotemia, so she'll be strarting on Fortekor as well now. Funny isnt it? She seemed ok before any treatment (I mean eating well and happy in herself) and then we start treatment and things go downhill - makes you wonder sometimes doesnt it? too much medicating perhaps - just because we can - is it right to do though?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 18:14:22 PM »
Gillian have you got Sasha's kidney results back yet? Fingers crossed for the little darling.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
Thanks Tab but Rosie's blindness was caused by untreated cat flu, she has had both of her eyes removed (almost 5 years ago now)  :'(

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
Rosiecat thats what Mogs did too. Maybe you should get her blood pressure checked as blindness can be caused by high blood pressure?

Gill if you PM me your address I'll get the tablets in the post to you no problem.

I hope Sasha is doing well today. I think the istin worked quickly for Mogs, they kept her in overnight to stabilise her to begin with and when she came home we had no more yowls (well apart from Amber not accepting her  ;))
love
tab

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 06:38:16 AM »
it's the Fortekor which I have the most problem getting down him - he smells it a mile off  :sneaky:

Would he take the fortekor squished into a Webbox treat (if he likes them of course)? Thats how I give Sam his fortekor.

Tbh I've not tried it Gillian  :doh: but I will do and can break it in half thanks.   I used to put his Vidalta in a Webbox but he seems to be taking that ok now mixed in food - it's def the Fortekor which puts him off. 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 00:08:08 AM »
it's the Fortekor which I have the most problem getting down him - he smells it a mile off  :sneaky:

Would he take the fortekor squished into a Webbox treat (if he likes them of course)? Thats how I give Sam his fortekor.

Just had a quick look round the net - amlodipine is crushed for both paediatric and enteral (tube) feeding and studies suggest the drug is as stable as tablets. Apparently some will mix easily with water,

Thanks FF  :thanks: think I'll try the crushing idea next time because the way its broken up at the moment means she'll be getting slightly different doses each day - prob not ideal!

Thanks Rosella, she is quite a little character  :Luv:  LOL Mary - she does respond to hand signals - I wave at her often from across the room!  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 23:36:10 PM »
So sorry she has such poor health issues Gillian. She is very beautiful  :Luv:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 21:10:14 PM »
Just had a quick look round the net - amlodipine is crushed for both paediatric and enteral (tube) feeding and studies suggest the drug is as stable as tablets. Apparently some will mix easily with water, but I no longer have an ATHENS login so no detail.  :-[  Maybe someone's vet can get access if you need it.

"Amlodipine 1 mg/mL suspension (90 days stability): 6 ... Some brands of amlodipine tablets disperse readily in water (see above) and can be safely ..."
http://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc/marketing/current/pdfs/MC_tubes.pdf
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 20:21:20 PM »
Sounding good Gillian.

Keep telling her she's going to have a FOREVER home with you and she will get better faster.  :Luv2: :Luv2:

You'll have to do it in sign language or let her lip read you  :rofl: :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 19:39:24 PM »
Aw bless the babe Gillian, I do hope the meds will have some effect on her and she keeps enjoying her new life..... :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 18:41:25 PM »
Yep, Pep's are also Istin, they have to be cut into 8ths and the pill cutter is as much use as a choc teapot.  I end up with all sizes but just put some bits together.  I actually just mix it into his food along with his Vidalta, it's the Fortekor which I have the most problem getting down him - he smells it a mile off  :sneaky:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 18:34:24 PM »
the most blood curdling wails at night (think tom cats fighting by moonlight) which have me sitting bolt upright in bed, heart pounding.    :scared: 

Yes, thats exactly what it sounded like! scarey!  :scared:

I never thought of crushing the tabs either, thanks FF  :thanks: - should have seen me trying to cut them into 8ths this morning, bits of pill shooting all over the shop LOL! In the words of Julia Roberts - 'sllippery little suckers'!!! I cut into 8ths and then counted what I had in front of me and it was only 6 pieces!  :Crazy: - still havent found those other bits  :rofl: I've got a pestle and mortar that I crush Sam's Rutin in. Sasha took the miniscule bit of tablet this morning ok in a bit of Webbox  :sneaky:

Thanks Tab  :thanks: yes the ones I've got are 5mg, so yes please!  ;D

She seems ok today, I'm not sure what to expect from the Istin, whether it acts straight away? my vet didnt say and I forgot to ask. Still havent heard back about the kidney/T4 test.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 15:38:23 PM »
One of my cats, Rosie, is blind and often makes the most blood curdling wails at night (think tom cats fighting by moonlight) which have me sitting bolt upright in bed, heart pounding.    :scared:   I am not sure why she is worse at night, as she is completely  blind, but perhaps because everyone is in bed, house is still etc?

Sasha is GORGEOUS - that last pic of her is  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 14:20:11 PM »
i never thought of crishing it first ........doh!  thats a good idea and 1/8th podwer will be so small and she may eat off your finger mixed in something  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »
If you can get powder down Sasha in one way or another, crushing a tablet in a small pestle and mortar or with the side of a large knife and then splitting the powder with a old fashioned razor blade is usually the easiest way of dividing into equal parts. A proper tablet cutter (from a pharmacy) will do quarters if it's not a crumby tablet, but not eighths.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »
Mogs was on a 1/4 tablet and that was hard enough never mind 1/8th!!
I have 6 tablets left of Mogs that I havent thrown out yet. They are 5mg istin and in date until august if you would like them
I hope Sasha is ok today
love
Tab

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 22:54:41 PM »
Ah, I didnt know that Amlodipine is Istin - thanks Carol  :thanks:

Thanks for the heads up about the meds, yes, your'e right Clare, I've got to cut them into 8ths  :Crazy: - crikey, they are small enough already!

The owners did give me £60, which would have been enough to cover consultation plus booster, as I thought that was all we were dealing with at the time, apart from just checking out the eye, and they did say if I needed anymore they would send some money once they were in Oz. The rescue said that they won't see me out of pocket, but I'm going to contact Jo tomorrow and let her know the latest - hopefully I'll have the kidney/T4 results by then. My bill today was £200  :shocked: (I did take Zeta as well, so some of that was hers, but not much) Mind you, once this initial large bill for tests etc is out of the way, the meds themselves arent going to be too expensive per month.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 22:42:21 PM »
Oh Gillian, that's not the update I wanted to hear  :'( :Luv2: :hug:

It does explain the howling and let's hope the results are good and she can put up a good fight.  She sounds like a fighter and especially as she's got you to look after her.

Fingers crossed.

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 20:26:11 PM »
Poor Sasha, she would not have made it to Oz  :(

I send loads of good wishes for her and sounds like she is enjoying yoir compnay :hug:

I cant remember the bp meds that Kocka was on but she had detached retinas that flapped so she was blind on and off and one minute she was Ok and then she was blind and I couldnt believe it, cos it literally happened overnight

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 20:18:03 PM »
So it looks like the time she has will be spent in a place she will beloved and wanted for however long she has

Told you she wasn't leaving just hope she has some time with you :hug: :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 18:33:31 PM »
Max as on Istin as well for bp and its such a tiny tablet its easy to hide thankfully!!  Normally they're cut into 6ths or 8ths or something I recall?

Sorry Sasha has more problems than originally anticipated, but she's warm and loved with you Gillian, and she can't ask for any more than that  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 18:29:30 PM »
....... She was on istin for about 4yrs with no problems though.
I hope Sasha is ok
love
Tab

Gillian, in case you don't already know this, Istin is the Trade name for amlodipine.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 18:04:11 PM »
Poor thing. Mogs had high blood pressure and she yowled at night a few times. I didnt know there was a problem though until she collapsed one day. Her bp was stabalised using istin but the vet did say last year he thought she was losing her sight even though her bp was now in normal ranges. She was on istin for about 4yrs with no problems though.
I hope Sasha is ok
love
Tab

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 17:57:36 PM »
 :crossed: for the results.  Poor Sasha but if she's happy thats half the battle  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 17:16:01 PM »
Poor baby -hope  the results come back ok and she has a lot longer time left  :( :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 16:40:31 PM »
Poor soul but from what you say Gillian she doesn't sound to want to give up.  Our Pep's the same, and his blindness was, we think due to untreated bp - but he takes a different drug, plus his thyroid meds, Fortekor for his heart and he's deaf but happy and full of determination.  Hope that Sasha's other results come back ok  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 16:05:25 PM »
omg poor Sasha - I hope the rescue will cover to bills Gillian - I know a couple of people who take that for bp

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 16:03:23 PM »
Well I've been to the vet with Sasha today and there is something wrong with both her eyes! (I phoned the owners before they went to Oz and they hadnt noticied anything particular wrong with they eye I thought looked cloudy) - the eye that is cloudy has at some point been ulcerated and there is likely little or no vision in that one, the other eye (which I thought looked relatively normal) actually has a cataract forming - plus there is bleeding behind the retina, and probably some vision in this eye - at the moment.

so on that basis vet checked her blood pressure - of course it was sky high!! - that would account for the yowling through the night (and day sometimes!). I then requested blood test for kidney function etc plus T4 for thryoid, plus she had a cat flu/enteritis booster and some drops to put in her ulcerated eye  :shocked: She's been given Amlodipine (sp?) for her blood pressure - never used this before, anyone any experience with it? Its a human drug apparently, and I had to sign a disclaimer. Oh, and she has a heart murmour! We await the kidney/T4 tests results.......

My vet did wonder if it would be better to have her pts - but, in the little time she's been here, she seems to have adapted remarkably well, considering she has more disabilities than I previously thought and she's had a lot to go through lately. She's eating really well, she purrs like mad when I stroke her, rolls over on her back, she doesnt appear stressed in any way. She certainly doesnt seem like a cat who wants to give up.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Meet my new FOSTER Sasha
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »
Dawn, Sasha is going nowhere  :naughty: :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2:

Hope she's quieter today Gillian.

Mary

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »
she is sooo adorable - I really hope she finds somewhere soon if she doesn't stay with you

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 00:05:13 AM »
Being deaf she cant tell when she is loud lol........she just wanted attention which of course you never give any or your persians  :rofl: :rofl:

She is gorgeous  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 23:43:36 PM »
a colourpoint Persian who likes to lie on her back and show off a gorgeous tum :shify:

no, she'll never fit in with your lot, Gillian ;)

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 23:14:32 PM »
She looks right at home to me!  :naughty:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 22:55:14 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: She's just letting you know she's pleased to be with you :Luv2:

Hope you didn't hurt yourself - when you fell off the chair  :naughty: :rofl: :evillaugh: :hug:

Mary

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 22:54:49 PM »
She really looks like a cat who wants to move again, yup, definitely, she's not happy and comfy at all :shify:

Dave talks to himself all the time, luckily he isn't deaf and I can tell him to shut up, which he does but there is no reason for it, he just squeaks and mutters away quite loudly at various times during the day :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 22:52:44 PM »
Passing over that........

my goodness I'm not sure she can stay  - she's just let out the most blood curdling yowling I've ever heard - sounds like a flippin tom cat  :shocked: nearly fell off my chair!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 22:38:26 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

She looks gorgeous Gillian.

My friend's cat is deaf but she feels vibrations on the floor etc.

So when is the adoption day then??? :hug:

Mary

Link to CatChat