Author Topic: How to care for an FIV+ cat  (Read 40335 times)

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Re: How to care for an FIV+ cat
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2007, 13:01:01 PM »
I have just rang the vet who has said try Pro-Fibre for Dogs and Cats for a week its like a powder you mix with his food however he is on a tea spoon of Protenix already each day and its made no difference. Is it worth me trying this product as well is there an alternative you know of.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2007, 10:27:39 AM »
It helps their immune system, I think it is 1/10 (one tenth) of a teaspoon a day on food. We give it to all our FIV cats
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »
What benifit does oil of evening primrose have for FIV cats will it not make his stools even more sloppy. His poo is still not right dispite being on meds for it think they are anitibiotics. I was thinking of giving it to him to see if it improves his condition how much shall i give him and whats the best way for him to take it please ?? thanks all

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
Fingers crossed for Tabby, hope he feels better soon  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 08:47:38 AM »
Well Tabby was back at the vets last night hes back on steroid tablets for this week a full dose to get him eating again (he was eating this morning very well) then i have to cust the dose to one every other day. Hes still on tablets to contol his poo,s he will be on thease long term they are antibiotics. So fingers crossed he will start to feel better very soon.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »
Also I have posted another topic on steroids I woud like to know if any others have had cats on them long term please

My Jessica is constantly on steroids, while we know they can cause internal organ problems they are along with tablets that are licenced for dogs are the only thing thats stops her bum being  like a cows backside. We are in a catch 22 really. She is 17ish now and a happy little soul so we will keep her going as long as she continues to be happy.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
thanks vrey much. Also I have posted another topic on steroids I woud like to know if any others have had cats on them long term please. xxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Carole, I noticed that no-one had replied to your question about the funny coloured poos so I have split it off into a new topic called FIV+ cat with oddly coloured faeces - advice needed please as I think it was lost in this thread.  I trust you will get more response that way  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:14:42 AM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
well he seems fine the last day or so still running about and eating well without the steroids so fingers crossed it was just a little blip.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2007, 22:52:35 PM »
If you do have to take him back, please ask for them to check for anaemia.

Know steroids aren't good but, with Fizz, managed with antibiotics at the first sign of being off colour, has brought him round fabulously.  However, each patient is different.

Fingers crossed for you both. :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
No hes is just on tablets to help with his trotts. He seems ok today but yesterday and the day before he was sick. I will keep an eye on him and if sick again I will take him back to the vet. I am giving smaller portions of food more regular now

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 22:15:46 PM »
Hi Carole,

Glad Tabby is doing ok. Did he have an antibiotic injection before he went wobbly? I only ask as my first elderly FIV had a very strange wobbly reaction to antibiotic injections (for her gums).

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »
Hello yes the vet was convinced it was his nervous system, however he now seems fine the injection has now worn off but the vet says if he wobbles again he will give him more steroids. He is eating well and gained some weight but still sleeps a lot and he looks a bit raggy but other than that he seems ok. His stools have formed up a bit as well so that will help in building him up. I relaise he is old and that I may not get the winter out of him but fingers crossed.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2007, 23:03:30 PM »
Oh Carole, I am sorry that you had to go through that but so pleased the steroid jab pulled Tabby round.

Is the vet certain that it was his nervous system?  I only ask as our Fizz started stumbling, before we knew he had FIV, wobbling round like he was drunk.  That came on suddenly and very distressing to see.  We took him to our vet who took blood and found the poor mite suffering from Chronic Anaemia - RBC should be 30-45 and was dangerously low at 9.  He was put on steroids to boost his appetite which pulled him through.  Has his RBC been checked?  If not, it's gotta be worthwhile.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for you. :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:25 AM »
Fingers crossed the steroid injections work.
Please spay your cat

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:08 AM »
That's excellent news. I'm really pleased that Tabby is feeling better...long may it continue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2007, 00:06:15 AM »
So pleased that Tabby is feeling better  ;D

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2007, 13:14:45 PM »
me to i will keep you informed

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2007, 13:13:55 PM »
Oh, poor baby  :(

So pleased the steroid injection made a difference  :)

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2007, 13:09:18 PM »
its the FIV his nervous system was affected. He could not stand and only could walk 2 or 3 steps then fell over, it was scary

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »
Crikey, what caused the wobbles in the first place, did the vet know?

I truly hope this is an end to Tabby's problems now, and that the tablets etc keep him stabil for a very long time to come  :Luv:

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 12:31:38 PM »
Well it was touch and go last week all of a a sudden on Tuesday Tabby went off his hind legs i rushed him to the vet and thought he would never come back. However the vet gave him a steroid injection and told me to come back on the Friday and if he was no better to put him to sleep. I stayed with him and over the next few days he was up and about again shaky at first but now hes like a kitten legging it alll over the place. He wont stop eating and the ver is very happy and said he could not want for a better result that new vet is a miricale worker. Tabbys stools have also gone much firmer with the tablets he is on and the ver said he will be on those long term. We will have to see how he goes on now but the vet said if there is any wobbles to bring him back for another shot. He has put weight on as well he is looking fine now. I am so glad i changed vets.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2007, 07:43:09 AM »
Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of it.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2007, 00:43:41 AM »
Thanks Milly I knew they were opposites but couldnt remember what other was called and which was which  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 17:34:37 PM »
Did you have the full bloods run on him?
Are the tablets steroids? They are good at increasing apetite.

When my first cat Taffy got ill and lost weight we didnt get a diagnosis until he had x-rays. It showed lymphoma  :(

Gill, the opposite of hyper t is hypo t but that makes you put on weight.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 17:13:22 PM »
Kocka was not FIV but she suddenly lost all her weight and my vet said she had a tumour on one of her thyroids and it was non-malignent and the thyroid was removed. However this did show up in blood tests. She had an appetite of a flea!

She sadly never put the weight on again but she was already an older cat at around 16yrs. She lived till age 20yrs.

Whats the opposite of hyper_T, one makes them hungry and the other doesnt.

I had a friend whose cat had symiliar symtoms to yours but again not FIV and he lost weight and never recovered but nobody knew what was wrong.

I wonder if because he is FIV, the vets are overlooking something obvious and blaming it on FIV.

Do you have the blood test results? If not get them and post them up and let the others see if they have any ideas, cos some know about blood test results.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 16:05:19 PM »
results are back the vet is no nearer to resolving this. He says the diorrehha may be due to a symptom of FIV as there is nothing else showing up in any of the tests that would make him loose weight. I am gutted hes wasting away in front of my eyes. The vet says see how he is after a week on the tablets thats all he can do at the moment. I wish i could halp Tabby get better i am at my wits end. If any one has any advice please let me know.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2007, 13:37:29 PM »
Fingers crossed, it certainly never hurts to have another pair of eyes cast across the results either.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
hi well hes not hyper t they have given tablets for the trotts and to give him an appitite. They will ask my old vet for the blood test results so i will know more whe he gets the results back in a few days. So fingers crossed he may see somthng the old vet didnt. Thanks for asking xxx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »
What did the vet have to say this weekend Carol?

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
many thanks i will let you know x

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
Good luck at the vets on sat. Let us know how it goes...I'm sending positive thoughts Tabby's way.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 21:26:25 PM »
 :hug: for you and Tabby.

Hope this vet is more clued up than the other.

Let us know how you get on. 

Thinking of you both.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2007, 21:00:21 PM »
Fingers crossed for him on Sat, and I agree with MM, I would have full bloods done, just in case there is something else (and sometimes hyperthyroid and kidney issues happen together). Let us know how you get on, but you generally have to wait for thyroid tests, not all vets have the machine to do those in house.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2007, 20:02:19 PM »
I would have full bloods run on him whilst hes there so its just the one sample he needs to give.

If he were hyper-t then he would have a huge appetite which he doesnt seem to have from your other posts?
If he does have the condition it can be controlled with tablets or there is an operation if the vet thinks he strong enough. They can also have iodine injections which involves staying at a hospital for some weeks as he would be radioactive!

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »
hI tabby is still loosing weight. I have asked another vet who says he may have hypothidordium ! over active thyroid he is going to see the new vet Sat morning. ANyine any advice on this condition in cats. I have had this ailment myself and as a human it was not nice. Tabby is not eating to bad hes on the high meat content foods you have all sugested and his stools are a bit firmer now and hes also on pro biotic supplement.  Has anyone any advice, I dont know why my own vet did not test for this in the first place

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 07:52:30 AM »
I haven't heard of Purina Delicate, and as the others say, Hill's a/d is the one for weight gain, but you must discuss it with your vet first, he might not want him to be on it with his tummy troubles, and you also aren't supposed to use it long term either. Good luck with him, and let us know what the vet says.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 13:48:52 PM »
That's the one Susanne! I don't remember having any problems getting mine to eat it in the past, definitely worth a try isn't it

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 13:46:50 PM »
The hills food that's good for weight gain/getting cats to eat is hills a/d.  I've not used it myself (no trouble getting my greedy gannets to eat!) but it is, apparently, pretty irresistable to most cats, and is easy to syringe feed if necessary.  I'd ask your vet for some or they don't have it you should be able to buy it online at somewhere like vetuk.

Wet foods with a high meat content include natures menu, hi life, bozita, cosma, animonda carny, applaws and almo nature.  I buy the animonda, cosma and bozita from zooplus but get the others from local pet shops (it tends to be the small pet shops that sell the applaws and almo nature).

I hope Tabby gets his appetite back soon  ;D

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 13:39:21 PM »
Christine are you thinking of the Hills food? They do a pate like stuff in tins, but there's that many initials that go with it and it's that long since I've used it I can't remember which it is. I know my Ted had Hills R/D later in his life but this was for kidney problems.

Carole did your vet test for kidney and liver function?

Link to CatChat