Author Topic: Odd query - my cat likes veg!  (Read 1821 times)

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Re: Odd query - my cat likes veg!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 18:38:09 PM »
aww thats sweet. my two are partial to some peas
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 17:55:58 PM »
Awwwwwww  :Luv2:

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 17:13:45 PM »
My Willow eats all manner of things, including dried dog food and sweetcorn.

Caught in the act!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 14:45:06 PM »
We had one who loved madeira cake and dear departed Uncle M would go nuts for Jordan's crunchy bars!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »
I had one who would go bananas for my mother's fruit cake. She even used to bake him his very own cake for Christmas.  :evillaugh:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »
My Boris used to finish off any left over cooked veg anyone left on their plate - green stuff, potatoes, even tomato skins!  Certainly didn't do him any harm!

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 00:01:29 AM »
I'm soo glad it isn't just my cat.. LOL

He's been very good over the holidays though, I increased his cat biscuits a little in accordance with his bodyweight & size (he's still a growing lad) & he's been much better behaved with food - although he'd still love to get hold of bunny's food, its off-limits  :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 23:35:28 PM »
Sophie likes to see what you are eating most of the time and she has a sweet tooth - she loves scones and cakes (only a few small crumbs though )and Bungly once took a big slice of coffee cake off my plate when i wasn''t looking -she used to like sweet stuff too . :Luv2: :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 20:16:23 PM »
I have had cats with all sorts of weird tastes - one was particularly partial to the pineapple off the top of pizzas ...

I wonder, too, if he is teething (not sure what age they do this) as the crunch-element may be coming into play here too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 19:30:25 PM »
Some cats are just greedy  :innocent:  lola eats sweetcorn, garden peas and chick peas and Taz will eat jam if its about to lick  :Crazy:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 18:44:18 PM »
Agree with the others on the worming front  :)

I've also had cats who seem to love veggies too, Max (RIP) loved brocolli, lettuce, sweetcorn, he would literally steal it from your plate  :evillaugh:

Poot is partial to sweetcorn too, and carrots and peas  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 15:05:17 PM »
I used to use Bob Martins etc before I started coming onto forums.....I am now only a user of either Milbemax or Drontal....They are brilliant, no worries of anything lurking as they get everything they are meant to (the wormers lol!)  ;)

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 14:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice Gill, I'll definetly ask my vet for a worming treatment for them.
I didn't know that the other treatemnt wasn't very good, but now that I do I'll not use it again.

Thankfully I've been using frontline flea treatment already  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 14:04:19 PM »
i would definately get wormer from the vets and believe that you will see the evidence in the litter tray if he has worms  :sick:

we here would not recommend bob martins and other similiar over the counter treatments, the exception to this is frontline flea treatment, although the combo id better and still a prescription only item

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 14:00:26 PM »
No, the worming treatment I gave them was Bob Martin's, which my vet was happy enough with when she asked.
It did put them both off their food for a few days so I assumed by that that they both had worms. Maybe Corky still has some?

They're due back @ the vets in Jan for a follow-up for cat 'flu so I could raise it then & ask for a worming treatment from the vet (I presume this is stronger than pet shop treatments).

My por vets tho.. I'm on 1st name terms with 2 of them already (& a couple of the nurses), with my kittens & now Phillip (bunny) LOL

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 13:48:47 PM »
i would not worry about him eating the greenery as long as he is eating his cat fiood but would try and keep the rabbits pellets away frrom him.

just a thought has he been treated for normal worms by the vet.....if not thats worth trying although some cats are just little piggies so you need to keep an eye on his weight. i have two big piggies here lol

Offline Mel (AilsaDS)

• Adult Cat
Odd query - my cat likes veg!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 13:33:02 PM »
I could do with a little advice please regarding one of my kittens, Corky.

He's always loved grass, but since I've adopted a bunny he's been trying to pinch bunny's food, he's eaten watercress (not just played with it) & he's also eaten a couple of my bunny's food pellets (Burgess Excel) when I dropped some (he got a couple before I had chance to pick them up).

I know cats are not supposed to be vegetarians.. I feed both my kittens on Hills biscuits & Felix pouches & Corky loves both of these also, so should I be concerned about his 'unusual' tastes & should I mention it to my vet?

They're 7 months old & are fully vaccinated, wormed & flea'd - they've even been treated for lungworm as Finlay is wheezy & the vet thought it might have been that, but that's another story.
Also, both have the Herpes virus (cat 'flu) but Finlay shows no interest in veg or the bunny's food so I don't think it's related to their health.
Corky is also tubbier than Finlay, my vet called it 'puppy fat' as he eats up any food left by his brother.

Link to CatChat