Author Topic: Wanted to see what popular opinion was in the UK on indoor vs outdoor cats....  (Read 15824 times)

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Pose a health hazard to people because they might attack you?!! - well its a new one on me  :
Yup. Years and years ago I was attacked by a cat. Damn thing scratched me up well and I was a bloody mess. No, I was not playing with it initially. I was like 12 and it came running at me and just attacked. Not that this type of thing happend often...

(because we don't have the barbaric practice of declawing in the UK)
I do not agree with the practice and would never consider it. Do keep in mind that just because it is not a standard practice int eh UK does not mean that if it were allowed that people would not do it, sadly. I am very glad that as a whole it is not does out there though.

My oldest cat was 20 when she died - pretty good lifespan I'd say, for a cat who had access to the outdoors all her life.
Yes, that is a fantastic age for an outdoor cat. Keep in ind I can only pull facts from my head on USA based owners and cats. Here that is the exception for an outdoor cat. My sister was one with an older cat that was an indoor/outdoor cat. Pumpkin had a pet door and wandered in and out at will. She lived to be 22.

My only concern, and one you actually havent mentioned, is the dangers cars pose to cats - and thats the reason, many cat owners now cat proof their gardens, so that cats can be safe but still enjoy the great outdoors.
I did mention drivers and assumed the reverse point. Perhaps I should have said it.
Also animal cruelty. They just has a case out here against 2 teens who murdered over 30 cats in rather horrible ways that I will not get into here. :(

If a cat cannot get out of an enclosure or area, I think that it is great for the cat to be there if they want to be. I like that idea a lot. Out where I am, the area needs a top as well or an eagle or coyote may take the cats. That has happened to several people we know. :(

In the end I know my opinion would sit well with everyone, but that is okay. Life would be dull if we all agreed on everything, huh? ;) In the end the most important thing is the people be a responsable pet owner and love and car for their pets. I prefer that one over indoor or outdoor. :)

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Pose a health hazard to people because they might attack you?!! - well its a new one on me  :rofl: Um, cats arent native to the UK? why does that mean they should be kept indoors? 

All my cats have access to outdoors, always have and always will. They don't roam, they don't attack people, but they can defend themselves (because we don't have the barbaric practice of declawing in the UK), they are spayed and neutered and their health has never been affected by other wildlife and other domestic pets. My oldest cat was 20 when she died - pretty good lifespan I'd say, for a cat who had access to the outdoors all her life.

My only concern, and one you actually havent mentioned, is the dangers cars pose to cats - and thats the reason, many cat owners now cat proof their gardens, so that cats can be safe but still enjoy the great outdoors.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Well here at the Clan Cats we have Indoor only, Indoor/Outdoor but are in every night and my happy band of outdoor ferals

We have 46 Cats currently living happily here at the Clan a mixture of domestic and ferals and my beloved rescue ragdoll - all are lifes waifs and strays and some of my indoor ferals are not for nice notrmal homes but are happy here with us

We do live in a very rural location in the north east of Scotland and are a mile of a C road with no name and share our track with one other house who also have cats and a resident feral - all these cats have their own pets the doggies! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Afraid we may have to watch this very carefully cos it is one of the very sensitive areas on Purrs and could indeed spark trouble.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Wanted to see what popular opinion was in the UK on indoor vs outdoor cats....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 19:55:59 PM »
Hi all. Not to spart any arguments here, but I am wondering on the popular beliefe on allowing cats outside. This topic has sparked arguments on my site and others. I just want opinions and I will not argue or preach with anyone after I post this.

My opinion:
Cats that are not outdoors to begin with should remain inside. Some of my arguments include:
1. They are not native to the UK or USA really.
2. The can pose a hazard to drivers.
3. They can pose a danger to other wildlife.
4. They can pose a health hazard to people (assuming they attack you for some reason).
5. (more USA based) Declawed cats cannot defend themselves out doors.
6. If they are not spayed or neutered they are increasing the feral and stray populations and in the end causing more cats to be euthenized.
7. The pose a health risk to other domestic pets (especially other cats).
8. The life span of an outdoor cat (part or full time) is greatly reduced.
9. Other wildlife and other outdoor domestic pets pose a health danger to your cat.

Our cats are all indoor only. I admit it can be a challenge to provide enough space and things to do around the house to keep your cat physically and mentally challenged, but I do. Two things I like to suggest to people who have limited space in the house for a condo or running space...
1. Kitty Walk Cozy Climber: http://www.kittywalk.com/climber_taupe.asp. This "condo" hangs on your door! I used to sell Kitty Walk products, but no longer do. WE have one of the Kozy Climbers on our front door. (they also make outdoor enclosures and runs!)

2. KatWallks: http://www.katwallks.com/ I LOVE these! We have a wall set up so the cats can zig-zag up the wall where they can run to the left to a balcony or to the right to another balcony. They love it and it is wild to watch.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Link to CatChat