Author Topic: Hyper- T questions for Giles  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Hyper- T questions for Giles
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »
Just a thought but there are quite a lot of drugs that milk can reduce the effect of. Not just antibiotics. I know in human meds there are warnings but I doubt if it is something they would consider for cats.
http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/medicaldepartments/pharmacy/followdirections/index.html

2 of mine get the squits with cat milk so I don't really buy it any more.

Willow is 2.5kg and sometimes goes slightly under. He appetite has improved since she was stabilised on Benazepril and anabolic steroids but she is still skinny and always has been.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:09:49 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
edited to add -his teeth are dodgy- he dribbles alot- but the vet said its not something they are concerned about now, they want to sort out his thyroid first.  With how he attacks food he likes i dont think hes in any significant pain, if any while eating

:) Sounds like your Giles is doing ok - hope they can get him stable so he can eventually have his dental.  It's the same with my Pep though, we've had to wait 3/4 months now to get his teeth sorted as my vet wanted his thyroid stable for a few months first - I'm keeping fingers crossed next week he'll be able have them done.  My Pep's teeth can't feel good at all but he still eats well most of the time thankfully. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:38:25 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 22:12:33 PM »
thanks for advice, i did read, i just couldnt reply when i did- giles on lap, laptop too far to type on!
i think giles is maybe just fussy, hell eat normal tin food while im there, and hell steal it from my 2 (stolen food tastes better  ;) )but not very much if i put down for him then go! he scoffs feline fayre and applaws and the poached pollock just vanished. Re treats, hes gone off most but feeding him natures menu chicken and liver treats is like feeding a hungry horse! he got my hand more than a few times so weve stopped handing him treats  :rofl:
 i was feeding him some before but didnt want him eating only those as theyre not complete but he seems to eat anyway if it smells good expensive enough
hes starting to play up abit - only a little,still nowhere near as bad as lucifer when he doesnt want- when im giving him his pill/eardrops- can i take this as a sign that hes feeling better/stronger? or is he just sick of the pills/eardrops?
hes starting to take an interest in play- just watching and a little following of balls and hes getting more comfortable with lucifer and sparecat. he took himself over to about a foot away from lucifer yesterday night and sat down and when lucifer did that thing where they tuck in their front legs he did the same, both sort of facing toward each other but not directly aimed. 

edited to add -his teeth are dodgy- he dribbles alot- but the vet said its not something they are concerned about now, they want to sort out his thyroid first.  With how he attacks food he likes i dont think hes in any significant pain, if any while eating
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 22:30:56 PM by snarf »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
If his levels are still above normal, he needs to be eating more than a normal cat to put weight on - did the vet check his mouth, as that could be why he doesn't eat as much, although my hyper-t cat doesn't eat all that much. With cat milk, I would just give two saucers a day, and it might be worth getting some a/d from the vets, and giving a tin of that a week, it is high calorie convalescing food, so will help with weight gain. I wouldn't feed him any senior food, as they have reduced calories. Also, it might be worth using treats for his meds so he is getting a bit extra - i like Primula for Sam so it has more calories in it. I wouldn't worry too much about him filling up on treats, but would offer him some daily to increase his weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 21:49:07 PM »
Its still early days with the meds though isnt it? and if he's not eating much anyway, hopefully, as Janey said, once he is stabilised on the meds, he'll start to put weight on. I know what you mean about offering a selection at every meal! - I'm doing the same with my Sam at the mo, as he's been off his food, I offered him beef mince tonight, which he ate a bit of yesterday and I thought I'd cracked it, but he won't touch it, nor would he eat cooked free range chicken breast - so in desperation I put down some Applaws chicken and he scoffed nearly a whole small tin! So you have my sympathies!  :hug:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 21:31:15 PM »
thank you Janeyk, someone mentioned on another thread about the tablets being whole and its on the instructions for the tablets i got today. im lucky hes very good with tablets. well just generally good  :Luv2:
hes very long legged and long tailed (taller than my two) so i think hes gonna turn out to be big.
hes got half a store of food up in the spare room- hes still seperate at night and when im at work. hell seem to love something one day and then the next hell have a mouthful and then leave it. he had some dental biscuits as well for his teeth which he loved for the first week and now wont touch >:( the catmilk he loves but more than half a carton a day we start getting runny tum. he went through a few days of scoffing dry but ignoring the wet and then vice versa so every meal im presenting him with a range of things! i got him a range of treats too but dont want him filling up on them as theyre not exactly nutricious (sp?) and again hell scoff them the first few days then go off them  :grrrrrr: i think uve got a point with lots of meals a day, if he can eat a few mouthfuls everytime it all counts
at least he seems to be progressing within the norm.  i dont know why but i thought hed at least not lose anymore weight on the tablets.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 21:02:30 PM »
Hi, my cat's on Vidalta too, before he came to me his tablet was being crushed so didn't get the benefit - that's one thing to consider it must be given whole.  I also fed my cat lots of meals a day and after 1 month his levels were better, they were extremely high before and after the 2nd month within the normal range and his weight gradually increasing.  If Giles is taking the meds ok and eating well he should build his weight back on, although he may naturally be a slim cat anyway some are.  Cat milk is good it helped my other naturally skinny kitty to gain weight and other than that all I can suggest is finding foods he really loves to get the calories in.  But like I say he may naturally be slim and your vet will keep monitoring him and I'm sure he'll advise whether his meds are ok or need adjusting.  Good luck  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
Hyper- T questions for Giles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 20:13:27 PM »
Giles, my first foster came to me 10th nov diagnosed with hyper- thyroid and on 15mg of vidalta daily. he was weighed at the vets then and weighed 2.7kg. hed been a long time stray according to the info the AARU received. however much fod i give him and whatever combinations he doesnt eat much, about the same as my 2, maybe a little less and is less active. the only thing he gobbles up is cat milk (and tescos finest chicken and liver) but he cant have too much or he gets a runny tum ( a bit doesnt seem to upset him).
he had his first repeat blood tests today and i felt hed put on weight- cant feel his ribs now- but on the scales he only weighs 2.45 kg!   :'(  told to ring back mon for blood test results.
so is it normal for him to still lose weight the first few weeks on medication?
should he be eating more?
what sort of timescale can i expect for him stabalising?
how much danger is he in?
hes such a special boy

the vet said theres nothing in particular i can do (other than medication, food, warmth etc) and i had lots of questions for him but he was quite distracted by the notion of charity fostering- im the first theyve had apparently and he got called out to consult on surgery- the one i saw today is the owner and ive not seen him in consultation before

Link to CatChat