Author Topic: Blackpool Cats in Care - Pumpkin....a special little girl PICS ADDED (homed)  (Read 21731 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: Blackpool Cats in Care - Pumpkin....a special little girl
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 21:54:26 PM »
Asiasnow,  your house sounds perfect for this baby,  how far are you ?,  can a transport run not be orgainised ?

Jack where are you when we need you  :Luv2:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 16:47:46 PM »
How far are you AsiaSnow?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline asia snow

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 14:20:23 PM »
I'm sorry I live so far away as I would of been happy to take this babe on permantly once our two fosters find new homes. I am the in fortunate situation that although I work I am home in between clients plus my partner is about to give up his day job as just set up a new business and will be in and out of home all day.   :'(

We have decided to stop temporarily taking in fosters but instead to take on a kitten/cat with special needs who needs 1 to 1 care for the rest of their lives however long that maybe. We have an easy to move around downstairs with a special cat area under the stairs where litter trays are kept, a flat garden which we can help cats gain access to and a cat run with tunnels etc which again we spend (far too) much time in playing and encouraging our brood to play in.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
Thanks DM for giving Teresa a heads up, and thank you Teresa for the info. Will pass it on in an email now. I think part of the problem is Nicky can't think of a fosterer to take on Pumpkin other than the one Pumpkin is currently with who is emigrating.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks so much T x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
Just read through this at DM`s request and my opinion is that this kitten is too young to make a decision re walking frames etc.  Having brought the severely disabled but very competant Minimopsical from 8 days old to almost 6 years  it is my opinion that lots of time needs to be put in encouraging Pumpkin to learn to do as much as possible for herself in order to live as normal a life as possible for herself,this little ones needs cannot be fully assessed at this age, see how she is at 9 months. There are lots of things that can be done to help toileting needs etc, Minimopsical was found a large very sturdy 3 sided gardeners tray at the garden centre cost around £8 and ideal for her toileting, another observation a cat may have difficulty getting to the tray but it doesnt mean she will get urine scald Minimopsical has to lay down to wee and often gets wet but she keeps herself clean as I am sure Pumpkin will.
My opinion forget the wheels and assess her carefully over next 6 months, I will confess that when Minimopsical was small I asked my vet about wheels and a protective hat for Minimopsical fortunately he told me what I am passing on now and in Minimopsicals case he was right.
Good Luck with this very deserving little one.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 22:02:23 PM »
I Know T is in hospital but I woudl suggest PM'ing her about this little baby as T has first hand experience and will def be able to help here,   I have met Minimopsical and she is the happiest friendlist cat I have ever met,  ClaireR may be able to help as well as she cares for Minimopsical on a regular basis.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
Shame T is in hospital, as she would have input with Mini, who has a special litter tray, as she can't stand to wee. I dont agree with wheelchairs for animals, and I think it would hamper toileting more than now. We have had a CH kitty, who I briefly cared for, and he could manage a normal tray, but he lifted his legs up more than normal and did end up getting quite a bit out of the tray, bless him. Took a while, but we did rehome him. I dont think the initial thoughts of rehoming are right, people who would look to take on a disabled cat aren't going to be the kind of people who would dump them if circumstances change in my experience. There is a website about disabled cats that has a forum, we approached them with our CH kitty, just can't think of the website, but places like that might be worth approaching, as they have experience/knowledge, and also vets, as while they wouldnt have time, they would know clients who have experience/knowledge of disabled cats, and who would have the dedication to care for her. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
It is, CC. I'd hate to be the one making the penultimate decision on this one. Pumpkin has so much going for her, but so many obstacles too.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
It's awful Jack, poor little soul  :(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 17:21:16 PM »
and how does the using a litter tray work with wheels?

Ramps I guess and a larger than usual tray for moving in and out. Yes, CC it would affect some parts of her movement but the alternative is pretty severe urine burns if the toileting is not kept on top of and in all honesty I think Nicky's worried she won't be able to find someone able to do what's needed.

Not sure what you mean, BM.... ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 14:32:14 PM »
Cant these wheels be put on/off?  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 14:29:10 PM »
and how does the using a litter tray work with wheels?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 14:18:16 PM »
Wouldn't having a wheelchair effect the things she already does, like going up stairs, sleeping etc?  She certainly wouldn't be able to climb with one of those  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 18:38:00 PM »
Been in touch with a wheelchair company to price things up. Received this message:

We would need the measurements, go to the dogWalker page, if you click on order, the measurement chart will be there, just follow the chart.
The walker would normally be £180.00, but i'm sure we can supply it for her at a reduced rate.

Will look at the sizing. And as soon as Nicky sends me the film of Pumpkin will post her on here.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 22:15:25 PM »
OK got this back:

Pumpkin has had feeling in her toes, and in her legs for as long as we have had her. She has had intensive nursing and physio for roughly the last month and has had antibiotics and anti-inflammatory injections, so we've already been doing everything that people are suggesting for the last month or so.

Nicky is hoping to film Pumpkin to give people a concept of her disability so they can gauge if they feel they could offer her the home she needs, or offer any thoughts.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 14:03:32 PM »
 :hug: Don't care what you call me, your input is invaluable! ;) :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 13:20:20 PM »
sorry hun! head is mush today  *slinks to corner in shame*  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 13:11:54 PM »
Thanks. (I'm not Janey, but that's OK. ;))

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 13:09:48 PM »
no problem janey   ;)   

keep us posted.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 13:05:12 PM »
I'm not sure Moira, but quite possibly. And Sarah, am copying and pasting your post into an email - if you've had experience of cats with a similar issue you're definitely more likely to be able to give constructive input than I am.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »
JS you said her current fosterer is moving to Brazil? Does this mean there is a deadline to get her sorted? Just wondering how critical this situation is.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
if she is managing to get around, ableit awkwardly and can walk on her toe's surely moving her into a wheeled device would potentially make the issue worse as it would mean even less stimulation for the nerves.

Obviously we don't have the full facts but nicki does but with nerve response in her feet and a certain amount of movement I (personally) would be trying to see if we could find out 'which' nerves were affected.  Also, with some feeling and movement there I would like to try to see if we could first of all, improve on what she has through physio work - is that an option?

Just a thought and as I said I don't know the ins and outs of the situation just throwing ideas in the pot.

Is there a possibility that it could be some form of infection in the nervous system? our belle came in with a degree of paralysis and it got worse we didn't really know the cause and took a stab in the darkwith an injection of Convenia... in the weeks thereafter she did make slow progress but did get back on her feet albeit with remaining issues in her back legs which are slight.

Granted a different scenario altogether... just trying to drum up thoughts for you guys.  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
Hmmm, respite care. That might work.

Was pondering the litter tray thing too. Could make one with a ramp up and down and Pumpkin would hopefully have a "wheelchair" - that might aid the accident situation. I think a cats smart enough to figure out how to manoeuvre something to be able to do that successfully.

Not sure about the cost of one of those wheeled doodley bugs, will look into it.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Good idea, Fire Fox. If back up respite care could be arranged and agreed in advance- either with Blackpool Cats in Care or with a local rescue if she is rehomed out of area. I think this would work.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
From a lay perspective, I don't think it's impossible to find this little one a responsible home where she would be returned rather than ending up on the streets. Whatever happened to me, Noah would go back to CP, it's already in my will!

Whilst nobody can guarantee their circumstances won't change, there are lots of mature people with settled lives - both my aunts and both my parents took early retirement (early 50s) and all own their modest homes outright. Because they all have small homes they aren't overrun with grandchildren, other arrangements are made.

One of the biggest problems would be to ensure this cat had the same standard of care when her owner was away for a weekend, or suddenly taken into hospital. If the rescue were able to offer occasional 'respite care' and all family members and neighbours were informed of this ... but I don't know if that is an option?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
This looks a lot more promising.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
More info on Pumpkin:

Right, little Pumpkin.....

She is so sweet, it's heartbreaking.

Ok.. she is eating, playing, purring, she runs up and down the stairs chasing her friend. she does this by dragging herself and does use her toes. She does have feelings in her legs, if you pinch her toes she pulls back and she does use the end of her feet to "walk". She climbs to the top of her scratcher and really doesn't think she has any disability. What the foster lady has been doing is every few hours or so she takes her to the litter tray and wees her. she can wee herself but it seems she doesn't have as much notice and she can be playing then all of a sudden she needs to go so you can see her scramble to get to the tray but usually its too late for her. know She can also sometimes drip. The vet said it is nerve damage.
My foster would keep her but she is moving to Brazil.

This is info sent to me by Nicky today. It does sound as though she's a happy little thing in general.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 21:30:20 PM »
a very tricky case this one.  keep us posted JS and I'm sure whatever decision is made is done so in the best interests of the little one.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 20:04:29 PM »
I know what you mean, Trigger. It's bad enough when the healthy young ones are put out to fend for themselves but it is beyond my comprehension how people can do that to the old, the very young and the disabled. Certainly, Pumpkin will need a very special home or sanctuary where she will be loved for herself by people who fully understand what they are taking on. None of us can say for the future what circumstances beyond our control may arise to force us to rehome our little ones. I feel that it is most likely, however, that anyone who will take on a cat with a disability, especially one that is likely to create some amount of extra messy work, when they have so much choice of healthy young cats or kittens, would be the sort of person who would only rehome as a last resort and wouldn't dream of abandoning her. At least that's what I would hope.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 18:37:45 PM »
Ok - I'll email this link to Nicky and get as much feedback as possible about Pumpkin.

Moira, it's highly unlikely Nicky could financially support someone that took Pumpkin on. She generally puts herself in the red  with the vets she works at with her rescue work. It's a labour of love, which is wonderful but definitely not lucrative.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 17:42:07 PM »
I think there are homes around for kittens like this. Have you any more information about how disabled she is? Does she drag herself around or can she walk?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 17:12:52 PM »
as long as she is pain free I don't think quality of life is an issue, as cats are not aware of what they are missing

my only concern is the number of times I read of cats abandoned because of broken relationships, people losing their homes, going abroad, developing allergies, etc etc

and the thought of a cat with a fairly severe disability finding itself out on the street is horrible - I still have shivers about poor blind Truman out in the traffic on a Bristol street
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 15:43:27 PM »
It's breaking my heart reading this thread. Poor little sole.

I know most people on here are far more experienced than I am and I am probably being naive but I can't help feeling that things shouldn't be totally hopeless for this little one.

When you say her legs aren't moving properly, is she able to move at all? Or could she be facilitated to move (eg the contraption in the pic)Truman can't get into and out of a litter tray but I have a number of  flat trays with newspaper in all corners of the room which he uses.

Is she in any pain?  To me that's the main issue. Other special needs cats, say cats that are blind and deaf can still enjoy life.

Would there be rescue back up for veterinary care? Understandably, people may not be in a position to take on a cat that will possibly require 15 years or  extensive vet care.

Has she been exposed to cats other than her litter mates? Do we know how she gets on with them. Would she really need to be an only cat? Truman is in with two totally manic kittens while I'm at work but they focus on each other and don't bother him at all.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 13:07:06 PM »
That's it exactly Janey. Nicky doesn't give up on any cat without assessing the situation a great deal. If she did and went along with what "other rescues" locally to her felt tigerbaby wouldn't have Capone.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 13:06:00 PM »
Nicky has a fair bit of experience I presume by now and along with the vet to be able to assess her quality of life.  By looking at all the options before making a decision at least they are giving her a chance - if that's possible and without her suffering  :hug:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 13:06:46 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
I agree it would definitely have to be someone not working with either no other animals or perhaps one. Pumpkin will need a lot of focus and I hope there's someone out there for her, but as my partner pointed out the other day perfectly healthy cats are PTS with alarming regularity because people can't be bothered to care for them. :(

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »
I do agree its a very sad case, especially as she is so content  :(

I think maybe this would be something that the ordinary cat lover couldn't cope with- like you say it's going to take that someone special  :shy:

Maybe she would be best off with her foster as they already know what they are doing with her  :)

Its a very sad case at only 13 weeks old  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »
aah I thought expressing was needed - probably would still need to be someone who didn't work though

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
She isn't incontinent and is in control of that, but her legs not working properly mean that someone needs to pop her in a litter tray every few hours for a "try" as some would put it.

Link to CatChat