Author Topic: Info from Cat Owners or Rescues in the know on spaying  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Info from Cat Owners or Rescues in the know on spaying
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 16:19:28 PM »
Baz: The vet did say something about a possible blood test to see if she had been speyed. She said it was quite expensive to have done and was going to ask her collegaue about it. I'll get all the low down next time I'm in.

Oh wow! Hope its not too expensive cos that would be just fantastic if she did not have to go through any procedure!  :wow: :hug:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 16:18:04 PM »
Baz: The vet did say something about a possible blood test to see if she had been speyed. She said it was quite expensive to have done and was going to ask her collegaue about it. I'll get all the low down next time I'm in.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 16:11:45 PM »
I always thought them getting spayed was a hysterectomy but its not, would you not think they would do something where you could check there blood for the amount of hormone etc!  :shocked: Im prob way to ahead for my time!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Bless her still, we know when she finally does leave your care Moira that she will have the best start possible!  ;) :hug:

Really hoping she has been done already, if not Im sure this little girl will take it all in her stride as she has done so far!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 15:58:17 PM »
Oh dear cos I thought from her picture she looked a bit more filled out..maybe fluffed up then  ;D

I am sure she will be putting on weight but if using an adult weight scale prob wont show.

Must remember a weight check at the vets next time  :rofl:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 13:09:46 PM »
Many thanks, peeps,   for your info and advice. I have no experience of unspeyed females at all, my old girl was speyed before I got her and my two young kittens, Sophie and Rosie, I know aren't speyed and I'm just waiting for them to reach the right age to get them done before I let them loose on the world. Tina's grounded in any event until her wound is completely healed and she has her second jab and is microcipped (3 weeks) I am hoping that by that time she will have shown clear signs of being in heat so I can go ahead with getting her speyed knowing she isn't being opened up for no reason. It's so much easier with the boys. I will discuss it in more depth with my vet in 3 weeks time.  Provided she is physically fit enough for the op I would rather they went ahead  than risk her getting pregnant. As Gill said, we will be sure she is speyed before she is rehomed. I want to send her off with the best possible chance -  fully healthy, chipped, vaccinated and speyed.

Gill: I weighed her again this weeked but unfortunately she doesn't appear to have put on any weight although she is eating well. However, this was just measured with my scales so might not be too accurate.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 13:00:45 PM »
Gill at our vets the gluing costs £10.00 extra but is so worth it for no head collar and no aggro with healing and we have had 18 girls done this way and our vets now offer this

Gill most vets don't do Program either ours order it in for us as it works for us the same with Millibex - a box of 50 is orfered for us 4 times a year as our vets prefer Drontal

If you ask the vets most can accomdate the request unless there is an underlying issue
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:27:15 AM »
there is no intention of tina being homed until its known whether she is spayed and we suspected she is but we also want the test results too.

i just said to moira i would see what advice we get from those who know about kittens and young cats in this situation.

its quite unusual for the gluing to be done and most vets dont do it. Probably she will have to be opened up to checked cos we cant take a risk with her, but she needs ro get heathy first.

thanks for the replies

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 20:35:33 PM »
Gill if the wound is glued with internal stitches no need for a head trumpet - this is how we do all our girls especially the ones we advise to have in the crush cage to come round!

We are currently waiting for Indie to come in to heat so we can catch her - she is in the house so we can pop her off for the full monty - Spey, Injections, program and of course her ID chip

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 20:01:23 PM »
we had this with a cat my elderly mother rehomed, who the vet could find no scar on

but she never came on heat

it must happen quite a lot, though Tina's circumstances would make it more likely she is not spayed, I would have thought
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 19:35:54 PM »
If shes staying with Moira then it wont matter gill otherwise she could be waiting a long time before being homed, imo unspayed cats shouldnt be homed incase of accidents and she may not come into heat for some time throwing you off and giving false security.
Many vets are still 'butchers' so for the sake of some hair i dont see the problem!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 02:05:08 AM »
There is also the midline spays that they wont check for!  ;)

You will know when she comes into heat, bum in the air and tale to one side....They also dont stop crying!  :( ;) :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 19:44:56 PM »
The vet told Moira this morning that some of the spays are so good now that you cant see a scar.

We didnt want her to be opened up and go through all that stress of collars and stitches only to find she is spayed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 19:35:45 PM »
On her next trip gill they can shave and look for a scar, if they find one you dont need to worry. If theres no scar then id book her to be spayed as unlikely she will be done, you can wait some time for their heats to start as they can vary so much, some will come into heat regularly and others not, i had one who wouldnt come out of heat so was spayed anyway, finally put an end to that racket.
Its also possible for them to have silent heats, others you cant miss as they are flaunting it 24/7  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 15:42:09 PM »
oh did there used to bed set months then?

how far betweenn seasons?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 15:20:56 PM »
She will start to put her bottom up in the air, making funny noises.
She may also start rolling on the floor and generally acting very loving.

Dont think they are really set months anymore for coming into season, kittens seem to be born through out the year now

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Info from Cat Owners or Rescues in the know on spaying
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 14:10:03 PM »
Tina is a older kitten/cat under a year,  that we rescued a week and a half a go and is currently staying at Moiras.

We do not know if she is spayed or not, how long would it be before she comes into heat if she is not spayed and what would Moiras first sign be?

If she is not spayed , she will be done asap when we know.

:thanks:  for any help

Link to CatChat