Author Topic: Furball or fussy eater?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Furball or fussy eater?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 13:08:14 PM »
Noah is a very enthusiastic eater, but he wasn't overly keen on Burns which, like you, I'd been impressed by the ethics of. He troughs down Orijen dry (80% meat) which is made with free-range and wild-caught meat and fish, the more ethical alternative is Applaws dry (75% meat) which again is free-range and made in the UK so fewer air miles. There is a discussion called something like 'Ethical cat food and litter' on the Green and Ethical message board on Moneysavingexpert forums.

I've given up trying to find an ethical wet food that has decent ingredients AND that I can actually afford, although Bozita ticks quite a few boxes as does Pets at Home Purely. Slowly moving over to more raw food as Noah just loves it, it's natural, cheaper and I know what's in it!!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 13:06:59 PM »
do you provide grass for him? my Trigger produces his hairballs with minimum effort straight after eating grass
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline KateT

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
that's great to know. I'll use the link, thanks!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
ok, thanks. I'll give Bozita a try. Do you know anything about them ethically, like do they conduct invasive research on other animals like Iams and Whiskas do?

Many thanks!

No I don't. Sorry. But I'm of the opinion a cats gotta eat. Burns might be ethical, but in my very honest opinion they make awful food which does the animals who eat it no good.

I believe lots of people feed on Purrs feed Bozita, Animonda, Almo Nature, Shesir, Schmusy all of which are available to buy on Zooplus. Please use the link at the bottom of the page .. as Purrs gets a commission  :wow:

Do make sure you see a vet check if things continue.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
Have you tried furball paste - it really does help. Failing that, a vet check to be sure.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline KateT

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
ok, thanks. I'll give Bozita a try. Do you know anything about them ethically, like do they conduct invasive research on other animals like Iams and Whiskas do?

Many thanks!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
Are you trying to feed him both wet and dry Burns? The wet is only complementary. The dry is complete and I would not be surprised if cats are turning their noses up. Personally speaking I'd change from Burns and try different foods. Zooplus has loads of good quality wet foods like Bozita which many cats seem to love. As for dry (if you feed it) there is Orijen and Applaws/encore.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline KateT

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
thank you. If he stays off his food any longer i'm going to take him to the vets,

Kate

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
Hi Kate and  :welcome: to Purrs,

I've just replied on your other post actually that it may be a good idea to have a health check if he seems to have lost his appetite.  Various things can cause this from tummy to teeth/mouth problems.  If everything is ok healthwise he is probably just been fussy, it can be difficult with some cats finding just what they like!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline KateT

• Kitten
Furball or fussy eater?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »
Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I don't know if my cat has developed really fussy eating habits, or if his lack of interest in certain kinds of food could be related to him having a hairball. I haven't seen him coughing at all, but my housemate says she has. At the moment, he is only licking the gravy off Whiskas, not eating the chunks, and he will eat Sheba, which is in very small chunks. I have been trying to get him to eat Burns cat food as I feel this is the most ethical variety, but he just turns his nose up at it. Has anyone experienced this before? Any tips on getting rid of hairballs or trying to encourage a fussy cat to eat certain foods?

Thanks,

Kate

Link to CatChat