Author Topic: Good Quality Food  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Good Quality Food
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
This developed into a discussion on soya (not least because of me  :shy:) so I have split that into http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,28743.msg508545.html#msg508545
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 16:06:31 PM »
I do believe all the antioixdants etc are bad and could be why there is now some many more cats with cancer.

Increased incidence of cancer has many inter-related causes but an important one is increased longevity, in cats as well as humans.  One of the many reasons for this is better veterinary care and another is better nutrition.

There are other things I'd worry about before antioxidants.  There's an accessible overview at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 15:09:29 PM »
This is exactly what I was thinking the supermarkets in efforts for bigger profits are cutting costs all over the place - I totally agree.

I've read about American Pet Foods in various books by... Susan Hall?? Couldn't believe it, but I don't think that is the pets eating pets happens here. But I do believe all the antioixdants etc are bad and could be why there is now some many more cats with cancer.

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
    • www.ilovehernebay.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 14:06:48 PM »
Hi Spud

We recently read up on what goes into cat and dog food on an American website. Will try to find the site again but some of it was sickening.
I cant repeat exactly what it said as I cant remember exactly but if you wouldnt want your animal to eat other dead infected animals then thats the general message.
There where some piccies but Iv just had another look on the web and I cant find the same site.

I personally believe that that whats going in needs to be regulated more.
Towards the end of his life I fed Flumpet Hills tinned food that the vet said was mild and the best for him, was like a pate. Also fish and chicken.
My neighbour kept on putting out dry biscuits for him even when I begged her to stop
All biscuits made him very sick with the hebegebees and Flumpet was a cat that would eat until he was overfull if you let him, be ick and then start again
 Its funny isnt it that as human food has become more and more processed the rates of cancer and other illnesses has gone up. Im probably wrong but I do think they put stuff into the commoner animal food that is only fit for incineration at the best.

This is interesting http://www.crpf.org.uk/index.php?section=530
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 14:18:46 PM by Flumpetsmummy »
Run wild out on the edge of time Flump
Carry you dreams away love
For you are an island

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 21:54:49 PM »
Have you tried  cat dancers? We are going to make a youtube vid of ours he goes mad for it!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 21:21:48 PM »
 :thanks: for the thought, Susanne, I have copied and pasted your warning!

Well I am  >:( as ordered Da Bird to find out all the MSE kids got there first and it is out of stock!! :doh: Just kidding Tan has kindly offered to send out the other items I requested, and Noah will have his Dragonfly toy any day - just waiting on the postal strike. We will soon have Noah doing press ups at 5am! :sneaky:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 13:06:51 PM »
Very good message from Susanne and we all remmeber the panic over Mosi and the disappeared string  :shify: :shify:

Great link there Firefox and da bird is the fastest thing leaving the shop, why most cats seem to love it beats me but even Sasa had all four paws off the ground at times and she is a little hefferlump.........sorry beautiful Sasa  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Fire Fox - could I ask you to post on that thread emphasizing how important it is not to leave da bird unattended for even a minute?  I'd do it myself but don't have a working computer at home now so can only dash on during lunchtime at work (so not time to register elsewhere etc.).  The reason I mention it is because I left one lying on the floor for a few minutes during a pause in a da bird session (and thinking I knew where my cat was).  Unfortunately Mosi found it and chewed through the thread extrememly quickly.  He had to have an emergency (and costly) operation at the vets as a result, to make sure there was no thread inside him.  The thread is so thin that they can chew threw it very quickly.  I always try to take the opportunity to emphasize to everyone not to let their cats play with it unattended for that reason.  Thanks

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
Hope nobody on Purrs minds me suggesting that, I do signpost Purrs (especially the shop!) when I am over on the dark side. :-[

No problem at all  :)  Keep plugging the shop  ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 21:31:49 PM »
Hi Spud

Nutrition is discussed regularly on the 'Pets and Pet Care' board on Money Saving Expert if you want to pop across? There is usually a value-for-money theme, but there are a number of us interested in pet nutrition generally. Just as on Purrs it isn't allowed to promote your own business, tho obviously you can state your qualifications/ experience and if someone asks ... you can PM them. Purrs is much more friendly/ non-judgemental, MSE can be a bit 'go for the jugular' if you like a debate!

Hope nobody on Purrs minds me suggesting that, I do signpost Purrs (especially the shop!) when I am over on the dark side. :-[
Lulu's Catbook

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 15:52:44 PM »
I could imagine! Well I guess so do think certain ingredients are the cause of most problems but np   8)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
No sorry cos everyone has own ideas of good and bad and this can be hotly debated at times.

While we encourage debate we do not want things getting heated and at the end of the day what a cat will eat comes as number one and every cat can have its own dietry needs, so what someone perceives as good or bad is not right for every cat.

We limit stickies as much as possible to things that we consider have a need from a Purrs point of view and food is something which we discuss a lot for individual cats so no need for a sticky.

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
Could we make a sticky on what to look for in a pet food, a popular dog site is highly recommended as it reviews all the brands. Could we work together on what is good and what is bad?

Perhaps a points system,
corn minus 1
high meat content plus 1
preservatives used etc

I would love to work on this and I know my g.f. would too
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:46:43 PM by spud »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:38 AM »
Why delete if it is a better offer than the other sites?

But obviously not a prob... But would understand if the offer could be beaten

Hi Spud

We don't allow advertising for personal gain on the forum, although in this instance the products may well have been cheaper than your competitors we still have to follow our own guidelines.

We do allow links to Purrs members websites' in our 'links' section however, so if you PM the site owner 'Tan' you can discuss this with her.

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 07:51:27 AM »
Why delete if it is a better offer than the other sites?

But obviously not a prob... But would understand if the offer could be beaten

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 21:53:53 PM »
It looks to me that you are promoting your own business Spud and I am deleting the mention of the company and you are asked not to advertize on Purrs as this is not allowed.

Thank you

Gill Purrs admin

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 21:18:23 PM »
I usually buy bulk tbh so buy a few more than 6 but do get them for around 64p a can instead of 75p.

I get it from xxxx I'll post a link in the offer forum - James Wellbeloved 3kg bags back too

I haven't seen bozita in any local shops - guessing Zooplus ?

EDITTED

I will be deleting any links in the offers also
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 21:55:18 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 20:33:26 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs - Spud is  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Almo Nature 70g are £4.49 for 6 at Zooplus - not sure how that compares to where you normally get it?

I personally feed Bozita which has a high meat content but is on a par pricewise with the likes of Felix/Whiskas, in fact I think it works out a bit cheaper.  If you look at the ingredients of Bozita don't be thrown off the scent by the 4% figure - that is the content of the main flavour such as Crayfish etc

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 20:29:22 PM »
So how much are you paying for Almo Nature 70g?

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 20:14:52 PM »
Here is a pic of Spud
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 20:21:05 PM by spud »

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 20:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, wasn't sure if my topic might be mis-understood... But I'm glad it wasn't. I use to think Hi-life was OK but not too keen on Topicoca or sth filler, although prolly a lot better than Felix or Whiskas crap. Have you read about antioxidants BHT BHA or exthoyquin? Used in Felix not that Suprised but is also used in Royal Canin and Hills - doesn't have much of a review.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 19:07:35 PM »
Higher meat content (wet) foods are certainly more suited to a cats dietary needs, but some brands sold in supermarkets also have high meat content. Hi Life Real Meat Pouches are pretty good, 60% meat, I get those in Sainsburys, I can also get Encore (tins) in Sainsburys (which is exactly the same as Applaws, made by the same company). I don't buy much in the way of dry, as I feed mainly raw and some pouches, but Hi LIfe biscuits aren't bad meat content, not as high as Applaws and Orijen, but they don't have a lot of fillers in like many biscuits.  :) Havent tried Shesir though.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 19:04:41 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Spud: glad you found us and decided to join in  ;D

Like a huge number of Purrs members, I'm a firm believer in high-meat-content foods (Blip has mostly Almo Nature, plus Applaws, Miamor and Schmusy, although she is currently 'off' the last).  I buy in bulk from Zooplus, which you might look into if you haven't already done so (link at the bottom of this web page).

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
Good Quality Food
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 18:51:48 PM »
I've noticed a mass of deals mentioned on supermarket brand foods, but after reading and completing a cat nutrition home course. I just don't trust the supermarket 4% meat. I usually feed Almo Nature, Applaws, Orijen, Arden Grange and looking into Schesir.

Just wondered what you guys thought about these brands, expensive rip-offs or really good but difficult to afford??

Link to CatChat