Author Topic: Time to take a stand - Jaffa, I am calling your bluff (wish me luck)  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Time to take a stand - Jaffa, I am calling your bluff (wish me luck)
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 10:16:05 AM »
Poor Jaffa, I am sure he wonders what he did to deserve this while Mosi is acting like hoodlum and getting away with it  :innocent: :shify: :shify:

He's not being punished!!  ;D  He's just sleeping through the night or getting up for a night time visit to the litter tray without feeling the need for his meowmy!  He gets lots of cuddles in the morning.  Sometimes I wake up and he's still curled up on his bottle, sometimes he's not.  But either way he gets mornign cuddles  ;D  but you're right about Mosi acting like a hoodlum! 

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 20:52:28 PM »
Who've you swapped cats with Susanne?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 19:01:16 PM »
Poor Jaffa, I am sure he wonders what he did to deserve this while Mosi is acting like hoodlum and getting away with it  :innocent: :shify: :shify:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Well I'm calling this a runaway success now.  No more night time yowling from the stripey one!  The odd whinge in the morning (when it's time to get up) but I seem to have broken the habit.  He may get up in the night (sometimes when I wake up he's not on the bed) but he doesn't wake me up.  Well done, Jaffa!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
They're ganging up on me now.  Jaffa was a good boy last night but Mosi reverted to Monster Mosi of his youth.  It's a conspiracy  >:(  I bet they planned it.

Offline Taraukuk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 16:43:05 PM »
HI im really glad that Jaffa let you have some sleep last night and well done you for taking a stand im usually such a soft touch.. If we have to stop one of our cats doing something he usually retaliates like a spoilt child and wrecks something in the house  :rofl: lol he is gorgoeous though xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
Another good night!  It was actually Mosi who woke me this morning with a little chirrup in my ear, but it was 6.30am so I'll forgive him.  He's a quick learner, my Jaffa  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »
He slept through until the alarm again this morning  ;D  Granted, I went to bed ridiculously late for a work night, but that doesn't usually make a difference to the whining.  It's probably more the darker mornings than anything else, but it's all good!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 21:40:43 PM »
Don't speak too soon  :naughty: :rofl:

You know cats ALWAYS do as they want and you know fine well that we let them  :naughty: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Jaffa managed to get the upper hand paw so it was pretty much all even, but the last 2 nights he's slept through until the alarm went off  ;D so I think I have the edge now  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 22:58:13 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

I knew he would LOL

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »
He's retaliating  >:(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
 :crossed: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :clap: :clap:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »
Not so good this morning as he was up at 5.40 (he seems to like that time) but I totally ignored him and didn't even put the light on.  He soon gave up and went to sulk elsewhere, coming on the bed about 2 mins before the alarm went on.  At least it wasn't 4am and I dont' expect him to be purrfect every night but I am determined that I won't reward whining.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 23:00:03 PM »
please will you come and tell franta that i need my sleep and dont want waking up until my usual time....about 1000........ :thanks:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 21:02:37 PM »
OMG 2 days in one year - phone the Guiness book of records quick  :rofl: :hug:  :rofl:

Mary

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
Susanne I am jealous beyond belief  :P

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
He did it again today!  ;D  He didn't wake up until my alarm went off.  So that's 2 mornings... ;D ;D  At least he's proved he can do it.  I'm not expecting him to sleep through every night, but if we can break the habit of him waking up every night, that is all good  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 21:24:15 PM »
:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

You do realise this is only one morning out of 365 this year  :evillaugh: :rofl: :naughty: :hug:

Mary

Oh yes   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 20:56:54 PM »
Woop woop  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 20:53:31 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

You do realise this is only one morning out of 365 this year  :evillaugh: :rofl: :naughty: :hug:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Victory!  This morning I woke up just after 6.30am (no work this morning so bit of a lie in) and he was out cold on the bed beside me.  I dozed for a while and cuddled Mosi who climbed in beside me for his morning snuggles, and by 7am he was still asleep!  I actually woke him up (by stroking him) because I was worried he was unwell!  He is fine but just decided to be a good boy  ;D  He may have got up in the night or not, I dont' know - at least he didn't disturb me.  That's the first time in as long as I can remember that he hasn't woken me at a ridiculous time.  Long may it continue.  Even if it isn't every night, I hope we can break the habit of him waking me every night.  He got loads of cuddles this morning for his good behavioiur  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 20:53:19 PM »
Mummy 0 Jaffa and Cold 2 !!!! ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
I sympathise with the bunged up nose - i seem to have had a cough forever  :tired:

I also, uninentionally, found out Mr T doesnt sleep on my head if Ive put a tissue with Olbas oil on it inside the pillow slip  :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
Not going too well now :(  I've not been sleeping well so if I wake up and can't go back to sleep, I've not got much chance of getting Jaffa to do that.  I got up one morning about 5.30am because my nose was so bunged up I couldn't breathe, so Jaffa thought that was great,  I'm also finding it hard to ignore a cute face beside my face.....  :-[

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 15:16:44 PM »
Wouldnt like to come and train my OH so that he doesnt need to get up 7.00am prompt EVERY morning including weekends, would you  :tired: :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 21:40:38 PM »
How dare you wake him up at 5.30?  what a naughty mummy you are.    :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 16:56:19 PM »
It's going well so far.  He's waking up later and doing less whining.  Yesterday I woke up at about 5.30am (I think I've trained myself to wake up too!) and he was fast asleep beside me.  I think he would have stayed asleep for a while longer if I hadn't woken up, fidgeted, checked the time on the clock etc.  I woke him up and he got up and did the whining but he was less persistant - just a few whines then wandered around a bit.  I ignored him and he came back on the bed after about 20 mins.  This morning we woke up at about the same time (not sure whether I woke him up or he woke up first) at 5.40am.  he got off the bed, had a little whine, went into the living room, used his litter tray (I think) and had a mooch around before another short bout of whining then back on the bed.  If they sleep until 6am, I consider that sleeping through the night (I set my alarm for 6.20am on a weekday) so he's getting there!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Ummmmmmm Susanne I am sure that I remember in the past it was Mosi who caused the problems and then poor Jaffa got shut out cos of Mosi.......I reckon Jaffa is paying you back   :rofl: :rofl:

Could be!  Mosi is a little angel at night now.  Occasionally he takes a while to settle down, but once he's settled, he's such a good boy and doesn't go in for the night time activities of his youth.  He's discovered that sleeping is a worthwhile activity!  Mind you, I used to completely ignore him when he made a noise (difficult but easier without the threat of peeing that I have with Jaffa!) so maybe he's just got the message.

I ignored him again last night and he ended up back on the bed and went to sleep again.  Mosi had stolen his place on the bottle (cold by then) but there was room for them both so he settled down next to mosi.  when I woke up this morning, Mosi was in the living room and Jaffa on the bed by himself.  I hope I can break the habit because I think that's what it's become.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 18:49:19 PM »
I got my own back on our lot after they decided to use our bedroom as a playroom - I stayed up all night for 2 nights and kept them all awake all night - I was seriously tired but the little darlings have now stopped the 4am racing circut and now don't start till 6am!

Good luck! ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 17:20:34 PM »
Ummmmmmm Susanne I am sure that I remember in the past it was Mosi who caused the problems and then poor Jaffa got shut out cos of Mosi.......I reckon Jaffa is paying you back   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 14:34:21 PM »
We now have to lock ourselves in the bedroom at night otherwise Jerry lets himself in and then goes straight out of the window.  :tired:You have my sympathies Suzanne!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 14:31:11 PM »
When Mr T began to move in here he wouldn't go on the beds.   :scared:

It used to really upset me that he wanted to spend the night under the sofa!!  :(

When we decided to keep him full-time, we just let him do his own thing.  He soon worked out where I had disappeared to, and slowly decided it was fun to come up on the bed for a cuddle and to spend the night as close to me as possible  :Luv2:

Now, he tells me when he wants to go to bed (IN the bed, like as not  :evillaugh:) and is very snuggly.  He doesn't  want to get off it in the morning to let me make it!!

That said, the little horror "Goes off" regularly at about 4.30am - wanting food.

When Mr T was first here, OH was really not very well and I used to shoot out of bed to feed Mr T, so we got as little noise as possible and OH wouldn't wake up

Ive not slept through the night since he (Mr T - not OH  :evillaugh:) has been here .....

And now of course I've "conditioned" Mr T to expect food and OH to continue sleeping  :tired:

I'm hoping things will change, but I'm not expecting them to!!  ;)

Good luck with Jaffa - I hope it all works out OK!

People Power Works!!!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 14:12:23 PM »
Yikes your brave Susanne, I would love to do that with Jess and Milo but I can't bare the sound of them throwing themselves against the bedroom door when its shut.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 14:04:30 PM »
Scared of being on the bed  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: That will soon stop I am sure.  :naughty: :rofl:

Mary

It really is very strange, maybe he's had a bad experience in a former home, or been banned from bedrooms?  Hopefully he'll come round  :Luv2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 13:52:39 PM »
Scared of being on the bed  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: That will soon stop I am sure.  :naughty: :rofl:

Mary

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 13:32:49 PM »
Best of luck hun, its always hard, especially when they're in a routine, especially when they make you feel so mean for trying to get some decent sleep  :hug:

Max was the same, he would wake me up every morning at about 5am, I never ever slept through the night, and never managed to change him either!

Luckily Poot hasn't discovered the bedroom yet and is scared of being on the bed!!!  :shify:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 13:16:48 PM »
Aw poor Jaffa  :naughty: :hug:

I know what you mean about sleepless nights - when I had Smudge I used to get up at 3.00 a.m. ish and let him out for a wee and with in the cold until he came back in.

It's easier said than done about being harder with them.  :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck.

Mary and the Good as Gold Bonnie  :rofl:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Time to take a stand - Jaffa, I am calling your bluff (wish me luck)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
I've had enough and am going to be a bit tougher with Jaffa.  Yes, really.  Monster Mosi is a good boy at night time now - he actually sleeps.  He has his moments, but once he's settled down for the night he usually stays snoozing somewhere or other until a reasonable time.  Jaffa, however, has become a pain in the  :censored: and wakes up, gets up and starts whining and being a pain at approx 4.30am every night.  This morning it was 3.55am.  I am scared to ignore him because he tends to go for attention seeking spraying of the wardrobe, so I tend to leap out of bed, shut the pair of them out of the bedroom and go back to bed.  That used to work but now Jaffa has started whining when he's shut out (I do ignore him then and he eventually stops and stays quiet until I go out to him) so I get wide awake and can't get back to sleep.  I also feel mean when Mosi is sleeping and I have to stir him to make him go out the back with Jaffa (I can't have one in the bedroom and one out because the litter tray is in the living room so they need to be both out there or have the door open).  I have tried to be tough before and ignore Jaffa and it usually works in that after about 20  mins, he jumps back up on the bed and settles down again, but I never stick with it.  One morning he whined for a few mins then sprayed the wardrobe immediately  :shify:  so that has made me wary of ignoring him.  This morning I put the light on so that i could keep an eye on where he was and what he was doing, but paid him no attention and after about half an hour he came back on the bed and slept until 6am when he started up again.  Unfortunately Mosi then came and snuggled up the other side, so while the pair of them went to sleep I was awake, squashed between 2 cats, hot and uncomfortable. 

I think I've trained him to wake between 4-5am by rewarding his whining with a treat - he always gets a treat when I shut him out the back - so have to ignore him and hope that he gives up if he gets no attention.  I'm sick of sleepless nights so think I'm going to have to harden my heart and ignore his plaintive whines and just hope he doesn't go for the protest weeing (it's definitely attention seeking btw - he has been vet checked - and he only ever does it if I'm neaby and can see him, he won't do it if I'm in another room) 

Link to CatChat