Author Topic: Torn between choosing which cat to re-home  (Read 21506 times)

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
Re: Torn between choosing which cat to re-home - help
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 21:11:03 PM »
We both work full time too and Samson seems fine with that arrangement.  He's such a pampered puss when we are at home that I think he secretly likes his 8 hour break from all that fuss :evillaugh:

Definately approach other rescues or see if there's anyone listed on here who could be your next feline friend.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 21:05:26 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I was starting to think I was being unreasonable in my expectations of re-homing a cat as I've been to 3 separate shelters now and each have their own different conditions.  I got home and was so upset, as after the second time of seeing the male cat again I really fell for his charm   :(
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 21:08:47 PM by Debbie »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 20:54:37 PM »
I am so sad to hear this: OH and I both work a lot more than full time - and always have done - and our Blip is happy and well-adjusted.  Try another rescue  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 20:49:14 PM »
That's disappointing  :( I iknow they only have the cats' best interest at heart but how many single adult cats are there in households where people work full time - I'd hazard a guess it's a very large majority!

There's quite a few cat from rescues on Purrs needing homes - Polish sounds like a gorgeous boy...

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27690.0.html

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 20:46:34 PM »
this saddens me, and is not the first time someone has been put off by too many conditions IMO

I have twice had a sole kitten which I left at home alone five days a week whilst I worked full time - neither came to any harm, or had any behavioural problems

and neither Tiffany or Trigger would mind at all if the other disappeared tomorrow, even though they have shared this house for 6 years
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 20:37:35 PM »
I have since been told they will not re-home me only one cat as I am at work during the day.  So I went to see them both today and whilst they dont fight they dont bother with each other neither so I am not sure why I have to have them both instead of only one as I think they would still be 'lonely' even if I took them both if one was always in and one was out?

I hadnt really planned on having two and I'm not sure my finances could cover having two so I was dithering on the phone to her when she said actually they had a reserve on them anyway!  Not sure if she was saying that to get me to decide or put me off altogether as she said the person whom had reserved them would take any pair of cats they had in...

So I went another shelter and they said they would only rehome me a cat over 5yo that they knew would be ok left alone for long hours.  Another one wanted me to have a cat flap into the house which I cannot have as it is a patio door.  I am surprised anyone gets to rehome cats these days with all these conditions.  I totally understand that it would be quite solitary to be left alone each day but I thought cats slept more than humans?  That was the reason I was looking for an adult cat (5yrs+). 

I think I better put it on a backburner until I work part time or win the lottery and dont have to work altogether....

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »
I thought that too Amy!  :sneaky: ;) :hug:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »
 :shify: There really is only one solution here...

take them both  ;)
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 00:35:32 AM »
:welcome: back Debbie, I remember when Sam went missing  :hug: Glad you've felt able to let another furball into your life  :hug:

Whichever one you choose they'll be the lucky one that's for sure  :)

Seconded from me!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 23:41:56 PM »
 :welcome: back Debbie, I remember when Sam went missing  :hug: Glad you've felt able to let another furball into your life  :hug:

Whichever one you choose they'll be the lucky one that's for sure  :)

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 18:53:34 PM »
I am glad it's not only me then Woodlandcats.  Whilst I was there I was in and out of each pen as I couldnt make up my mind.  The guy said he always brings out one puppy when a female is there choosing her new dog, if he brings out any more and she has to choose he is there all day!  I kinda had to agree with him...

I think I'm erring on the the boy cat, I've always had boys and he was just so big and gorgeous he was like a cuddly bear!  when I was looking at the female he meowed in the pen behind me as if to say hey dont forget I'm still here!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 18:46:21 PM »
I was terrified of cats we soon overcame that.

And have you ever!!!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 18:20:09 PM »
Before I began rescue work I went to the kennels seeking a rescue dog, when I arrived i couldnt look at the dogs I merely said " Give me the one thats been here the longest that nobone else wants" I took Winnie home there and then and began my rescue work less than a week later, should add at that point I was terrified of cats we soon overcame that.
Good Luck with your decision.

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 18:04:23 PM »
You are very lucky just having to choose between two! When I went to look for a cat to adopt, there were about 15 and I nearly cried, so difficult it was.
Years ago when I went to the shelter to have a little calico, there was mum calico with two calico babies and I would have loved  to take them all three but neutering 3 females, couldn't afford it.
So I had this woman taking the two kittens in her hands behind her back and then put one on the table. Out came Noa, not my first choice in appearance, but she turned out such a sweet darling!!
So let your heart decide and I think fate has it's own way.
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 15:36:24 PM »
Fair comment, I thought I would get a similar reply.  I always seem to want them all when I get there.

I'll think it over and then if they are reserved in the meantime then they werent the one for me.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 15:34:47 PM »
Agree with Trigger, only you can decide and I would go for the one that could be harder to rehome....and if they are both the same I would pick the cutest! LOL!

At 5 they are probably both content to be lazing around all day. I wouldn't be too worried about the boy wanting to be out a lot.... not all boys do.  Mine is never happier than when he is snuggled on a bed, even in summer!  And when it is winter, well, we are lucky if he is out for more than 15 minutes!  It was the girl who was always out regardless of the weather or temperature!

The girl cat may be more of a "project" - may need more work to get her confidence up and if you are out a lot it may not be ideal.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 15:25:05 PM »
I'm not sure anyone can answer this question for you, Debbie

all I can say is, if I couldn't choose between two cats needing homes, I would adopt the one I and the rescue thought the less likely to be homed by someone else, and/or the one doing less well in its current placement
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
Torn between choosing which cat to re-home
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 15:13:52 PM »
Hi

I lost my cat 2 years ago, he was only 2 at the time and I didnt feel I could take on another cat until now.  Anyway I have been to see two cats today and I really am torn as to which one.  I'm looking for opinions.

The first is a ginger boy, very affectionate.  He apparantly is very laid back and a bit lazy as he sleeps mostly during the day but when I saw him he was very alert and came out of the pen to greet me.  The second is a shy female, very affectionate too.  They are both aged 5 and lived together but the rescue has since realised they dont really get on as the boy bullied the girl so they want to get her to come out of her shell, which she did when I went into the pen, she came out of her housebed for strokes and was purring and licking my hand.

So, I work and there will be no-one in the house for 4 days a week.  I wouldnt want them out whilst I was at work but if they did not come back before I left I have a catflap into my shed as a bit of shelter and I would put a bed in there.  Dont think the female would want that somehow, and its likely she would only go out for short periods if at all.  The male though, I've only ever had males that wanted to go out.  Not sure if he would just sleep as they said or want to go/stay out?

They were left behind when the owners moved house so they cannot tell me if they were indoor/outdoor.  I dont know which one would be better to live with me....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 19:07:29 PM by Debbie »

Link to CatChat