Author Topic: If you could have your dream.....  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: If you could have your dream.....
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 08:02:16 AM »
I think if being owned by a BSH is your dream then you should go for it.  Having a pedigree cat doesn't mean you can't have a rescue cat too, at the same time or at a later date, or help out a rescue in other ways.  I have 1 rescue cat and 1 pedigree cat (a Somali).  I originally had 2 rescue cats and when one of them died I got my Somali as I'd always hankered after either a Somali or an Abyssinian.  I will definitely have more rescue cats in the future and I'll almost certainly have another Somali too.  If a pedigree BSH is what you really want dont' feel bad about having one.  Just make sure you find a reputable breeder.

Offline CustardCats

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »
I have already tried looking at rescue BSH, and they are either rehomed or too far away  :'( So typical of my luck! I could wait and see if any more need rehoming, and have actually been asking breeders themselves to think of me if they need to retire a cat from breeding - and had quite a few rude replies in return!  :-:

Somehow I knew people would say rescue lol  ;D
I'm going to visit a cat rescue today to see some of the cats needing homes, I have talked to the lady who runs the place a few times on the phone and by email, and can't wait to go and see them!
Trouble is, I just know I'm going to fall in love with them all and want to bring them all home!  :Luv:

How on earth do you choose? I remember it was a nightmare when we went to see our cat Pearl at the RSPCA, there were lots of tiny, cute kittens playing in the pens, my eldest son was only 3 and was going crazy for one - but as soon as I saw Pearl I knew, she came to the glass in between us and rubbed herself all over it trying to get to me! lol  :Luv: The guy who was looking after them actually tried to convince me to have a kitten rather than an "oldie"!!  :P

I think its always quite hard to tell a personality when they are in a pen, I just hope we can find a cat who can fit in, regardless of age, as I would hate to make the wrong decision and have to take them back! I'm actually a bit worried I might make the wrong decision, I'd hate to mess a poor cat about.

I hope there will be someone there for us, we've been looking for quite some time now, and always end up going looking at cats/kittens and having to make the hard decision that they aren't quite right for us, and coming home with nothing but crying kids! But I refuse to choose a cat/kitten just so my kids aren't upset! It has to be the right pairing!!
"In the beginning, God created Man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the Cat." - Warren Eckstein.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 23:43:12 PM »
I agree with Sam. You can rescue a BSH and that way you don't have to feel guilty! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 22:29:22 PM »
Why not do both!!! You can still have a pedigree and a rescue.  Try contacting the following:

http://www.britishshorthaircatclub.co.uk/rescue.htm

http://www.british-shorthairs.co.uk/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 22:27:56 PM »
Hi custard cats
sorry but rescue everytime.....just think how much more you would get out of rescuing a little furbabe that hadnt had a good start to life and all that money to spend on special treats and donate some to CPL

XXXX

Offline CustardCats

• Kitten
If you could have your dream.....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 22:23:24 PM »
If you could have your dream come true, would you?

I've always admired the British Shorthair, and I am now looking for a cat to join our family, I could save up and get a BSH, but feel more inclined to rescue a cat instead, my heart tells me rescue is the way to go, but my head - and a few people -  have said "why not buy your dream while you can??"

But I've always admired the BSH, not always wanted to own one. My hubby says its like his motorbike, hes always wanted a 1000 cc Gsxr, instead he has a 600 cc Gsxr, and hes fine with that, loves his 600, but if he could have the 1000 he would.

Do you think I should wait for a pedigree kitten, while I can afford it, or rescue a cat? My heart says rescue, I know its the right thing, and very rewarding too, but I can't help but feel tempted by a pedigree  :shy: Sorry rescue cats!!

Would you get a pedigree if you could, or would you still rescue?
"In the beginning, God created Man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the Cat." - Warren Eckstein.

Link to CatChat