Author Topic: Toilet Troubles  (Read 2169 times)

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Toilet Troubles
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
Rajah has been using his litter tray now for all his toilet needs.  I think he would use the bath or basin given the chance as they still hold an intense fascination for him.  Last night just before I went to bed, I found him in the kitchen investigating the sink, which fortunately had a cutting board in it, and to which I added a couple of mugs just to make it more awkward.  He does seem to like the much larger cage bottom that we have put his litter tray in, as it is deep and catches all the bits that he throws out. 

I can no longer blame hubby for the ghastly smell in the toilet, as 9 times out of 10, it will be Rajah who is to blame.  The bathroom seems to be the better option for Rajah's toilet, because the kitchen/lounge is very busy, with the dishwasher and tumble drier going all the time, and the tv is on perpetually, so the quieter environs of the bathroom suits him better. 

Thanks all for your help regarding this issue.  Hopefully it will continue to stay resolved, and I won't have to deal with any more nasty surprises. 
Pam

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »
I think Catsan do a fine grain one in a yellowy bag. Not tried it though. Sainsbury's do one called "ultra clumping" which has a gorgeous blue cat on the front. It's £4 a bag which seems a lot but it's pretty economical because it clumps so well.

I normally buy this one: http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1j01+litter/product-is-22307 it's really clumpy and good. They had it on special offer in a big bucket size but I've only seen the bags since. They do a kitten one which looks like it might be just what you're after...

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1j01+litter/product-is-22306

Good luck!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »
no waitrose omg!!!  lol - not sure never tried catsan - a lot of us use oko cats best but that is a whole other story, I'm sure catsan must do a fine grain one, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
EEEE!  I hear you!  The toilet seat is usually always down anyway, just thought that if he was looking for a depository for his poo in the bathroom, it would have been as good a place as the bath or basin.  ;)   However, with my mind now firmly changed......... I have continued with the containers and some water in the bath and basin, which seems to have detered him for now, although he still prowls around the edge of the bath looking for a point of entry.  We have taken his litter tray and placed it inside the bottom of my old rat's cage, which for some reason he seems to quite like and has used it twice to poo in since the change.  

Ideally, I could use the whole of the bottom of the rat's cage for his litter tray as it is ginormous, (rabbit cage really) but I would use about a 8l bag of litter in one go.

I have thought of changing the litter to something softer and probably will do if none of these best laid plans work.  Unfortunately we have no Waitrose where I am in Scotland.  What is Catsan like?
Pam

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 09:05:29 AM »
I know vicky halls recommends something as fine grain as possible, waitrose do a very fine grain clumping litter

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 19:12:38 PM »
please don't leave the toilet seat up, he could drown
Not to push the issue but I have heard of this happening a few times. I think even someone on here lost a cat that way. If they fall head first, it is impossible for them to scramble backwards  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:23:49 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 18:58:05 PM »
He might not like digging in wood pellets for a poo, something soft and fine underfoot like worlds best may suit him better

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 16:53:49 PM »
oops!  ok!   :-[
Pam

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 16:29:49 PM »
please don't leave the toilet seat up, he could drown

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 16:28:50 PM »
He pooped in the bath today right over the plug hole.  My daughter cleared it up frantically before OH saw it.  I'll tell her next time she must put it in the tray.  I think I am beginning to think that he is associating the bathroom with going to the toilet.  We have filled the bath with a bit of water and left the containers there to put him off using the bath, and the same for the hand basin.  Last night he jumped into the hand basin and got thoroughly wet, and later did his business in the tray.  I left the toilet seat up in the hopes that this will be his next choice.  How convenient would that be if he used the toilet?  :wow:

I asked OH this afternoon to get me another tray as he was going out.  I don't know if he understands why though, because I got a rather confused look even though I did explain.  If the problem continues, I may try another type of litter too, just in case, although he doesn't seem to mind urinating in it - The cat, i mean, not hubby!  :rofl:
Pam

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
Teresa is right Nutzy and it can help to put the kitten in the tray after meals if you read this link from our Guides section it should help:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:32:51 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »
You really must put any offending poop in his litter tray so he understands where to go, also I would provide an extra tray to replace the one you have removed from kitchen.

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 21:43:39 PM »
The poos I have put down the toilet.  He was using the litter tray all along to do his poos in, just last night and again this afternoon he decided it would be better to use the hand basin.  I have now partially filled it with water and put a bottle of soap in the water, and I have put bottles of bath stuff and shampoo in the bath and on the step in the bath so he will not use the bath.  I have cleaned the litter tray and moved the it into the bathroom too.  wish me luck!
Pam

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 16:59:46 PM »
Not had time to read all of this thread , can I ask what you are doing with the offending poop ? you need to pop it into litter tray and then gently pop kitten in so he knows where it should be done, if you are just cleaning it away he thinks he is doing nothing wrong.

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 16:54:44 PM »
Well, he's done it again!   :(  Hubby is less than pleased and is saying that the cat will have to go if this behaviour doesn't stop.  I am not happy because I don't know if it will stop at the hand basin.  I have partly filled it with water in the hopes that he will be put off, but then he may use the bath, which I could also partly fill, but the bath has a step, which he could use, or the pooing may happen on the furniture, or horrors, the kitchen counter or kitchen sink.  So it's a bit of a dilemma!  Hubby is not very tolerant when it comes to bad behaviour in pets.  Wish me luck!
Pam

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 13:22:35 PM »
Thanks Janeyk - I will do that!  ;D
Pam

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
Hi Nutzy,

I notice Rajah is only young and you've not had him long bless him  :) if you check the behaviour guides there are good info in there which may help you eg, links about spraying and soiling and settling in new cats and info on kittens etc.  There was also a similar post yesterday titled 'help' where another member's cat had a similar problem you may like to read through as some links are on there  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:52:42 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Toilet Troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
Rajah (3 months) did a poo in the basin in our bathroom last night.  He has been with us for nearly 2 weeks and has always used his litter box which is why this comes as an unhappy surprise.  I clean it regularly, removing his poo almost every time he goes coz it stinks so badly, so he can't complain about a dirty tray.  I also haven't changed his litter - wood pellets - which he was on with his previous owners. 

He does have a fascination with water though, and will spend ages scratching in the basin especially if the taps are left on to run gently or drip.  The other evening he was scratching the inside of the wash basin which reminded me then of what he is like when he is in his litter box, and I wondered if he would urinate in the basin - deficating did not cross my mind for a second !

How can I stop this from happening again?  Do you think I should move his litter tray from kitchen to bathroom perhaps?  A friend of mine had a cat many years ago that used to do his business in the toilet.  Hopefully, Rajah will get the same idea! What do think the chances are?  ;)
Pam

Link to CatChat