Author Topic: Boosters  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Boosters
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 19:13:48 PM »
I read from cat chats info which i assume is up to date same as their FIV page! Maybe those cats are in the 15%?
Cat chat link to the info for the immunity test if its needed

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:28 AM »
Actually, there is evidence to the contrary on the age MM, in America the feeling is now older, as there are more cats that are contracting it up to the age of 2 I think. The other thing to remember with FeLV is that a cat can come into contact with it and shake it off, they aren't automatically FeLV+ - and if they do shake it off, they are immune for life, there is a special test that can be done for that, and if the cat is positive for that antibody, they dont need vaccinations. The Bristol site has the details for that test.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »
Immunity to felv is there by 6 months, another good reason to keep kittens indoors as it takes time for their immunity to build up (which is 85% same as the jab offers).
Kally, felv injection is one of those topics like collars, some wont use others wouldnt ever go without so its something to talk to your vet about and research

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 22:50:40 PM »
yeah but hes only 2
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 22:49:39 PM »
Misa had FeLv when I first got him cos it was done by CP but he was really ill and have never had it again.

Once they reach about 8 they usually have an immunity against it and my vets dont give it after 8 yrs old,

So now all my cats too old.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 22:38:03 PM »
None of mine have ever had the Felv jab (apart from Gwynnie and that was done by her breeder before I had her) and I don't plan for them ever to have it. Its the jab that is most likely to cause a bad reaction.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 20:41:02 PM »
i have just realised one of ours has never had the FeLV one ever done would you recommend him having it done?
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 20:28:59 PM »
but would you recommend having the felv booster done?

I will not have the FeLV done on any of mine

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 20:08:52 PM »
but would you recommend having the felv booster done?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 19:59:12 PM »
i get what your saying because if you go away and need to put them in boarding cattery or sometimes when you get a petsitter you need to have up to date vaccination card

You dont need the felv part to meet cattery requirements

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
Out of ours only Ace isn't injected as we have never been that close to him since moving 3 years ago as he is a really nasty feral and comes at you and last time he put me in hospital with cat scratch fever so we live with Profender and drontal worming tablets and he is hale and hearty - so that leaves 40 others all injected annually and Programmed twice a year and wormed every quarter

Indie will be going to the vet this week but currently she is not a one woman decant from pen to crush job so it looks like Friday will be her visit

We inject every year as we have a large number of cats and have a transient bunch on their way through - I inject all the ferals we trap and if we release them I feel they may have a better chance - they also get chipped and Programmed before they go back - some will never adapt to house life
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 00:07:38 AM »
Don't forget flu is air bourne !

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 00:02:22 AM »
i get what your saying because if you go away and need to put them in boarding cattery or sometimes when you get a petsitter you need to have up to date vaccination card

mine have an enclosure which stops them coming into contact with other cats, but I still need the vaccs for the cattery - you never know when you might need it, even if you think you would have someone available to look after them if you were away - better safe than sorry
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 23:59:26 PM »
Boosters are necessary and only one of mine who wont be getting any now is Franta because he is nearly 16 and two vets have advised against it for health reasons............he has been ill twice this year with a brain infection and they are worried they would compromise his imune system.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 23:34:23 PM »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 23:13:38 PM »
I often think about not having my oldies done because they never go out of the garden and I just think is it necessary but even though we've not had holiday for years you never know and that is really why I do.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
Boosters
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 22:53:44 PM »
I just wanted to ask even though i have asked before whats peoples opinions on boosters we get ours done every year but are unsure about them we will ask the vet when we take missy in to have her teeth looked at but only because its going to be a vet that doesnt particularly have anything to gain by giving the animals any that isnt neccessary (PDSA VET)

Link to CatChat