Author Topic: Birman emigrating to Australia? Advice please!!  (Read 2559 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Birman emigrating to Australia? Advice please!!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
if i were going anywhere abroad i'd not allow my cat to have free range outdoor access, its just now worth it really.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
Personally there's no way I could leave my babies

Sometimes people are put in an almost impossible position, they need to go abroad because of work, but a cat may be to old  or frail to be granted a fitness to fly certificate, or the country you are going to does not really have a suitable climate or is just not cat friendly.
In fact as previously mentioned in Australia (especially certain States) they are very hostile to cats.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »
i think its all very well saying we couldnt leave our pets etc but in these situations the bigger picture for the human family has to be looked at, and if the cat / dog etc would be less stressed staying in this country then its sometimes a decision that has to be made. 

If she decides she cant take him i hope she manages to find a lovely home, perhaps even with a family member etc.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »
OK, thanks for all the advice - I'll pass it all one. I think one's she's made the decision either way she'll feel better about it. Personally there's no way I could leave my babies  :Crazy:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
I also though quarantine was 4 or 6 wks not 3 months.

For animals from the UK it is 30 days. Also Pets are only allowed to be flown to certain airports.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 12:23:09 PM »
she needs to talk to her vet asap as they will provide the up to date current advise coz the cat will need rabies vaccs and then blood testing etc a set time after wards and i think that all has to be done on an exact amount of days prior to entering country. Of course the current rules and regs can change month to month so i may be off track which is why she should  check asap

which part of australia is she flying to ?? you need to contact both companies here that deal with exporting animals and also the nearest quarantine in australia, I knew someone who had checked one out several times over there and was happy with it (her dog was her baby) but i dont know which one  it was etc.

I also though quarantine was 4 or 6 wks not 3 months.

I think the best thing would be to find out all facts and info first then sit and write out a pros and cons column.

also re the cat getting outside, it may be just aswell to have him as an indoor cat if she takes him rather than risk anything. animals do suffer bites etc over there.

also she could have a look on expat woman website etc that is mainly expat women who will have done it and gone through it all and hear from them what they did with pets, the best companies to use, would they do it again and how well their animals adjusted etc..bearing in mind i'd guess air con is pretty much on all the time in doors so that would be ok for the cat.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
I'm trying to push her to make the decision as she's avoiding it (too painful) but I don't want her to suddenly find she has a short window to go to Oz

If your friend intends to take her cat she needs to sort it now as there is usually at least a 5 month waiting list for a quarantine kennel in Australia as there are so few. Also rescues in this country need time.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
You could try this and ask.
The Birman Cat Club 
Catchment area: United Kingdom - Jane Tackley
2 Burnham Road
Coombe Lane, Hughenden ValleyƝ
Buckinghamshire HP14 4NY
Phone: Tel: 01494 564930

I just did a search on birman rescues in msn and quite a few hits came up, so you could also try that.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »
Hi Gill, Sealne (means 'blue' in Russian apparently) pulled out all his gold fur round his lower back, so he's just got a big patch of thin blue hair. I don't know any more than that really - I think he got lots of cuddles & treats and gradually calmed down as the baby got a bit older.

If my friend did decide to rehome him here, is there a Birman rescue? I'm trying to push her to make the decision as she's avoiding it (too painful) but I don't want her to suddenly find she has a short window to go to Oz and hasn't sorted out the cat. We'd love him but our dog is too bouncy for him and I don't think our cats would forgive us if we came home with another one...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
Sorry I dont know about rules for Aussie but that quarantine one sounds like a problem for a birman. It depends how much attention he will get there cos my birmans hate not having attention and whine at top of voices. They had been living in a garage before coming to me and had very loud voices but theu have quietened  down now but have not forgotten to how to whine when they want. He may get very stressed.

Sorry I know this off the subject but am interested in the comment you made about him getting stressed and pulling out fur cos Franta has pulled all hi bib out, I thought it was cos he is moulting bad but looked at pictures of him from last year and he had a great bib all summer...........wondering if he is stressed and he looks so bad without his ruff.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
I think the quarantine period for Australia is only 30 days,.

There are very very few quarantine kennels in Australia and you have to book up many months in advance.

See http://www.australiamigrate.co.uk/pets-australia.htm    on there is also a link to the Australian Government guide. also see http://www.pettransporter.com/australia.htm

I understand that in some parts of Australia they are not very cat friendly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:40:07 AM by Ela »

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
Birman emigrating to Australia? Advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
Hi everyone, hope you're all well - sorry I haven't been around much but I've been a bit busy what with finally sorting out a new car and starting my new job. Anyway, I need your help for a friend of mine please.

Her problem is this - she's got a beautiful colourpoint Birman called Sealne, who's 8 years old. He's been with her through thick and thin and they love each other dearly. He recently got very stressed when she had her 2nd child, and started pulling his fur out, but it's growing back a bit now and he's settling down again. My friend's problem is that they're emigrating as a family to Australia later this year. It'll cost a fortune to take Sealne and it'll be difficult finding rented accomodation that allows cats, but the money isn't an issue if Sealne will be OK there. So does anyone know if there are Birmans down under? Do they cope with the heat OK? Is he likely to get eaten by a snake or bitten by a spider as soon as he's let out? Could 3 months in quarantine (they may not be able to visit him every day) have a detrimental effect on him? What's quarantine like down there,is it run by nice people?

Basically this is the hardest decision she's ever had to make - does she take the cat and put him through 3 months of loneliness followed by a completely new life but with the family he loves - or does she rehome him here before she goes?

What do you lovely people think?

Thanks

Link to CatChat