Author Topic: Solomon another collar injury puss, on the verge of being PTS  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: Solomon another collar injury puss, on the verge of being PTS
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 15:26:22 PM »
Heal up soon, Solomon! Hope all goes well for you.  :hug:

Regarding collar injuries, my Tobster is on that particular list of stats himself. He'd been fitted with a collar as a kitten, but his owner went into care and the son hated cats. The result of which being that the collar was never removed and re-sized, so it cut into his neck and the skin partially grew over it.

Unless you look closely, you really wouldn't know, but the hair over the scar is considerably shorter than the rest of his coat and bless him, he's now going grey there.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »
poor little baby lets hope it all heals well....kisses little one and head kisses from all my fur babes shame on the people that were not willing to give him a chance >:( >:( >:( >:(

My dad's Lottie (adopted cat)  had exactly the same thing. She had been taken in by her owner to the vet said she had just noticed there was a cut.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the Collar was embedded under her arm and did not want her as she never had the time or patience to care for her after. The vets (will not name) stitched it so badly as they were not prepared to spend any money and had recommended she also be PTS. My friend a vet nurse contacted me..I was mortified that such a young little one was just being written off basically

Sadly 2 weeks before my Dads baby had been PTS as she had pallet cancer........we agreed to take Lottie in and when she had recoverd at my house she would go to live with pops. She then went to pet paradise my vet and they were marvelous. The previous vet had just stitched and not even taken away the dead tissue and also stitched over infection GRRRRRRR. Lottie had a further 2 operations 3 months of cage confinement and plenty of TLC. she then went home to my Dads on xmas eve 2 years ago

She is now a house cat as she is a little tiny bit restricted through losing so much dead tissue but a beautiful happy and very spoilt fur baby.

Lets hope this little baby has a complete recovery. GET WELL SOLOMEN :best: :catluv:

We found only yesterday a red quick release Coller which always Makes me smile as its another lucky cat that didn't get caught up

XXX

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 22:13:50 PM by smudgepickles »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
He's a big soft soppy and will be great with kids I reckon - I'm glad he got a good home. He made himself at home in my kitchen in minutes so he will be no problem for them. Probably even soppier now he has been "done"  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
Exactly what I mean Mark! Stanely much better off with a young family who live rural, someone at  home most of the day with two kiddies he can cuddle up to, gowwww.

Besides would never really think about rehoming a young cat on that busy road, wouldnt last long I dont think with the through traffic. 

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »
Great for Stanley.. I'm suprised when the woman asked, you didn't ask her if her allergy has gone and her dog has turned cat-friendly  :evillaugh:

Great to hear Solomon is doing well.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed for his wound to heal, and it is so good that Stanley got a good home.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
Hi all
Despite a whole load of stitches and a few other problems, Solomon should be home with us today or tomorrow, after having spent a week at the vets.  My niece who works for the emergency out of hours vets has taken a deep shine to him and will thus be coming back our nearby fosterers, where he will be cared for by her indoors. Solomon has the potential to earn a place in their hearts and despite them having two otehr cats and a strict displine that CP foster cats dont end up with them, this one may just ticke the right boxes and end up staying. But I suspect it depends on their other cats.  The wound is going to take many weeks to heal and as the vet said sometimes it dosnt work first time.

The vets are doing this and not charging us anywhere near the full cost, but for us to be able to do that and them agree its taken many phone calls to them, we first wanted to move him to anotehr practice to get this done. However, the good thing is my niece has been there to watch over him.

So "hopefully" a happy ending to a lovely puss on the verge of being PTS, this one we we told about, but there are so many others equallly deserving.

On a plus note Stanley our loveable rogue puss got rehomed this weekend, Mark you will be pleased! Funny thing is that lady that rang me on the Sat demadning I come and collect him from the road, kept ringing me to ask if she could adopt him.  Of course not! He deserved a better home then that and as Mark can say, she was a very forcefull women am I sure thought we all go round in a llittle van collecting cats as a full time job instead of our spare time.  Besided I went off her the minute she told me I didnt care!

Lets hope for a quiet week on the phones for all rescues.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 16:32:51 PM »
poor little ones, the last cat I had besides his other injuries had a collar inbedded in his neck & again the big charities wouldn't pay the vet bill of over 500.

I think you would find that many branches of Cats Protection would. I know we often spend more than that on one cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

saffron

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 15:44:17 PM »
poor little ones, the last cat I had besides his other injuries had a collar inbedded in his neck & again the big charities wouldn't pay the vet bill of over 500. I am very pleased to say I fitted the bill & I am the very proud owner of a beautiful jet black persian boy who just loves everybody & my other furbabes. I must say that I was very ashamed of the rescues & the vets involed as all they thought about was money & were willing to pts this little boy.
Well done Canterbury Cats  :ok:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 15:22:12 PM »
awwwww poor little sweethearts

i hope that they are ok now x
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
A very short story to a very long story I tell you.

I know exactly what you mean, often I have to cut a long story short or I would have no time for more rescue.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:45:31 AM by Ela »

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:14:41 AM »
good luck to both little Babes, at least there both in good hands now bless then

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 22:50:11 PM »
Aww, so sorry to hear of more sad stories - fingers crossed for both of them, and thank god this will be Smudge's last litter, the poor love.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 22:29:18 PM »
What the vet was trying to say is that the op is not very successful and that the bill may be only the start of it. Although having a young puss PTS just because of "past experience" is abit harsh I say, there are always exceptions, like our Humphrey for instance.

What is the mess up was who was owning the cat, the lady who brough puss in but couldnt afford to pay or the otehr organisation that just said they would pay for basic stuff but no more.  Hummmmm! I have had dealings with the other organisation before and the motto seems to be if its expensive or not very easy to fix then PTS is the only option. Unofficially one cat has been "saved" from this fate! Only on the of chance my niece contacted me before the vet just the cat to sleep. She was homed 2 months ago to a lovely home!

Anyhows, we can only but try.

My other concern is now if Smudge turns out to be FIV! She hasnt had her kittens yet but no long I dont think. 

Now of to bed!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 22:26:56 PM »
Good luck to Solomon, it's great that you've managed to take him on board  :hug:  Also I hope Smudge's labour goes well, xxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 20:55:49 PM »
A long day and now very exhausted!

Understandable, but just another day in the life a a rescue helper, isn't it? One of the worst collar injuries I took in gangrene had set in, it was absolutely terrible, but with time, good vet care and lots of TLC the cat did survive

fuzziesdad

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 20:44:35 PM »
poor babies thats why my 4 oldest have not got collars on any longer (all 6 are chipped) and poor little girl reminds me of our talulah-belle(lu-lu) she had 3 litters by the age of 18 months 14 kittens all survived  as did she and is lying on my bed right now.
one of the reasons I like CP  they have a no kill policy.
please if you see them soon give them a cuddle from me.you are right it is tiring I sometimes took 50 phone calls in a day,you do a good job and I will say thank you even if no one else does.
roger.   

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 20:40:20 PM »
Just want to add here the reason that this took such a time was that we wanted to move puss to another vet who would be able to do the op for 1/2 the price. The original vet was not very keen on that idea. The cat was signed in by the lady who brought it in but as they couldnt afford to do much, it was then signed over to antoerh welfare organisation who paid for basic treatment but wouldnt pay for any more.  The lady contacted us on the hope that we may of helped her out as she would not agree to having puss PTS.  A very short story to a very long story I tell you.

Positive vibes for Solomon tomorrow.

• Super Cat
Solomon another collar injury puss, on the verge of being PTS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 20:33:34 PM »
Hello all
Just thought I would write a few words to the day I have  had. I have spent the last few hours trying to find a way to take in a puss with a very severe collar injury. Another stray brought into the care of a vets (a very expensive vets) from a lady that had been feeding it for while, a nnoteiced the collar injury yesterday, so took puss to the vets. To fix puss was going to cost 500 and that was way beyound her, local rescues didnt really want to get involved and recommended cat be PTS. She called us on the of chance. After many, many phone calls and a very bad headache later, we have agreed for puss to have op to sort out the injury through the collar. As opposed to 500 they are now charging us 100 as they have thought to do another experimental procedure to see if that works.  Puss in ginger and white, tom no more then 2 yrs old.  The injury is as most of these cases difficult to heal and thus needs lots of aftercare and maybe further surgery in the future.  I am so glad the lady just didnt call it a day and waited for someone to get back to her.  How an earth they got to a 500 odd bill for this procedure I will never now but at least our talking to them did something. Lets hope puss is okay and takes to the surgery well. I have named him Solomon and he will be having the op tomorrow.

Also a preg puss 4yrs old and now due her 7th litter. We were told the last litter all kittens were "disoposed of" whatever that means. Poor mite, this will be her last lot for sure. Why an earth had they let it get that bad, i dread to think the state of the colony she was living with on the farm.  She is a sweat natured black and white puss called Smudge.  Smudge is due any day.

A long day and now very exhausted!

Link to CatChat