Author Topic: PDSA financial assistance  (Read 9008 times)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Re: PDSA financial assistance
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 15:11:44 PM »
yep everything happens for a reason
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 14:46:24 PM »
Insert Quote
my mum was turned down for a cat from cpl because they didn't think she could afford the cat, to be honest its probably true as regards vet fees but she ended up with a cat down the road moving in when his owner moved away without him and I pick up his vet bills

They do say that everything happens for a reason, don't they?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 08:32:02 AM »
But we do all have to make sure we can get our pets treatment at short notice should they need it.  the .

I agree, as many of you know I along with other posters have had a bad time with pets in the last month, I have needed to pay almost £1200.  My pets are not insured and even if they had most vets nowadays expect people to pay and the claim back from the insurance company.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:32:49 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 08:24:24 AM »
I dont tend to ask what their financial situation is, I

I would never ask but it is something that the caller says that lets you know. Also if someone tells me its OK to have another little one as they are at home all day and they are a one parent family,  or when I ask which vet do you use they say xxxxx as they do PDSA,  that sort of give me a clue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 21:56:13 PM »
im sorry but i know loads of people on benifets who have lots of kids and they still dress there kids in all the latest fashions buy them the latest games consoleand they are fed properly etc
As a tax payer I'd take issue with families on benefits spending their money on the latest fashions and games consoles, but that's another argument!

The fact is veterinary care costs money, and a pet can get ill at any time.  We all know that out of hours vet treatment isn't cheap (approx £70 for a consultation) so it's the responsibility of all pet owners to either have that money, be able to raise it at short notice, or to know that they can get emergency treatment via a charity like the pdsa.  I don't think anyone should feel they can't have a pet because they are on a low income or on benefits, and I don't think less of anyone who has to ask for help with vets bills, but charities don't have an unlimited amount of money and what they do have has to come from somewhere.  I do think it's unfair for anyone who is on a low income (and by low income I mean unable to afford veterinary care - including emergency treatment - for their pets) to just keep on adding to the number of pets they have and expect someone else to fund their treatment.   Of course if they can afford it one way or another or have insurance then that's no problem.  But we do all have to make sure we can get our pets treatment at short notice should they need it.  One of the reasons I only have 2 cats is because I don't feel I can afford to care for more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 21:58:11 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 19:59:23 PM »
I think as long as people can care for the cat on a day to day basis and are prepared to go out of their way should they need to due to being on a low income, there shouldn't be a problem.

There are SO many cats needing homes with people that will genuinely care for them, it  amazes me that it's felt that rescues can be quite so specific in what they feel is necessary when caring for an animal.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 19:39:26 PM »
The PDSA is an issue in this area, my vets wont use them due to not getting paid, and we are not in the right postcode area for the hospital. I have to say that while I might not home a cat to someone who is already using something like the PDSA, I dont tend to ask what their financial situation is, I wouldn't like someone saying that to me - if someone had when I took on my first cat, I would never have had one - yet I found the £350 for her emergency vet visit, even though it left me with £20 to last the 2 weeks till I got paid. When teh next cat came, I got a credit card so i could do any ver care they needed and figure out paying it later - yet my neighbour, who earns more than me, made her cat wait months for a dental, despite having a credit card, and booking holidays abroad. I did ask once, but purely cos it was a 19yo student who was moving into her first home - her mum put us at ease completely though. Finn went to a single mum who didn't work a lot of hours, but I knew from waht she was saying he would be spoilt and looked after well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 19:22:35 PM »
if u r thinking i cant afford just coz i ask for help with neutering

I personally do not consider help for neutering the same as asking for help (treatment) for other vet care, all I am interested in is having all cats neutered/spayed and would willingly give a voucher to a millionaire.

I also think that perhaps this topic has not come to its conclusion, we are in danger of going in circles.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:18:59 AM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 19:16:48 PM »

Im Sorry Ela but my house isnt council it was left to me by my father when he died
oh and the council here let u have 2 pets but many people have more

I wasn't meaning you lived in a council house and even if you did that would not be a problem to me. I was just stating that in our area people in council houses are only allowed 1 cat The fact that some people may have more again is not my problem as long as we do not help the tenants break the by laws.

with so many cats in rescue don't u think its silly not letting a person on benefits with a lot of pets already (who are all looked after excellent ) have another cat

No,we have a responsibility to the cats we home and we need to ensure all their needs can be provided for and that includes any vet care if and when necessary.

sorry but u may find someone with a private house and a job who donut giv a stuff about there cat and theres someone on benifets with other pets who would treat that cat like a son or daughter .......

I agree and we treat all people as individuals irrespective of where they live.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 19:11:06 PM »
With my Mod hat on, please remember the golden rules - we do not make personal digs here but discuss things in general terms.

As a board member we have always had a sort of consensus on this board that if you can afford both the time and the money then fine. If you can't then you should consider whether you should adopt another cat.

There is always the option of fostering if you have a multicat household - getting food/expenses paid for the foster cat and getting the benefit of knowing you are REALLY helping the cat population.

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 19:08:42 PM »
I Dont know but if i had a bigger house id defo have at least another dog
and if a stray cat turned up at my door tommorow id defo not turn it away, i like to help animals and people in whatever way i possibly can , i was brought up to believe u must always put other peoples needs b4 ur own .

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 19:07:43 PM »
I think your getting the wrong end and things starting to get a bit out of hand with this. I was not meaning you, I use the PDSA myself so why would I criticise anyone? I'm just saying why should the people who use these charities be seen as bad.

And the CP neutering vouchers arnt just for people on benefits.

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 19:02:59 PM »
Forever I also agree with what your saying, the social services dont come round to inspect your home before you have a child incase you have too many.

And I also think a lot less kittys would be in rescue if they could be homed in multicat homes, why should this be a bad thing, it shows you love your animals.

How many animals is too many?

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 18:58:55 PM »
if u mean me then im sorry but i can afford to pay for whatever my cats n dog need theyve all done fine so far
and if u r thinking i cant afford just coz i ask for help with neutering ,it was only last night me and the oh was talking about donating something to ur cpl in return for the vouchers

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 18:58:36 PM »
And Im sure when I get back to work I will no longer be using the PDSA, but at the moment its the only way I can keep Ollie alive.

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 18:56:29 PM »
ur all geting hold of the wrong end of the stick
i said psda is for mecial emergencies
its fine to go to the pdsa if ur on low income/bennifets etc and make a dontaion but its not fine to ask a charity like the cpl when they are for cats who have no one else in the world .

Im Sorry Ela but my house isnt council it was left to me by my father when he died
oh and the council here let u have 2 pets but many people have more

re being on benifets: what makes anyone think just because someone is on benifets they cant afford to take care of there pets properly or give them what they need
my animals want for nothing ( apart from if i could afford it id have one of those enclosures built in the garden so they could enjoy the summer time)
im sorry but i know loads of people on benifets who have lots of kids and they still dress there kids in all the latest fashions buy them the latest games consoleand they are fed properly etc
so why is it different with having lots of pets ??????????????
with so many cats in rescue dont u think its silly not letting a person on bennifets with a lot of pets already (who are all looked after excellenty ) have another cat
im sorry but u may find someone with a private house and a job who dont giv a stuff about there cat and theres someone on benifets with other pets who would treat that cat like a son or daughter .......

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 18:53:08 PM »
Ela what I meant was why do some people think it wrong to ask these sort of charities for help if you need it.[

I don't know, you would have to ask somone who thought it wrong. What I think is wrong is adopting another pet when you have some already have pets  and cannot afford to pay for the treatment of those you have already got.

Just because you arnt rich in money doesn't mean your not genuine.

I agree, but people just cannot expect charaties to keep paying. I would also say that some of the rich are not the best pet owners.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 18:54:37 PM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 18:36:13 PM »
Ela what I meant was why do some people think it wrong to ask these sort of charities for help if you need it. Would they rather you let your pet suffer or be pts? Just because you arnt rich in money doesn't mean your not genuine.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 18:22:55 PM »
just hate the presumption that if you have pets and you need help its wrong to ask for it.

Absolutely, we would all have loads of pets if someone else paid.

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 18:11:50 PM »
I agree with you both, Susanne and Ela. I only use the PDSA for Ollie but have 3 other cats which if they need to go to the vets they go to a private 1. I just hate the presumption that if you have pets and you need help its wrong to ask for it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 18:04:43 PM »
im sorry but down here if u rang up the cpl and ask them for help with a medical emergency theyd tell u no   way ,if u cant afford to pay for treatment then theyd suggest u ask someone to lend the money if not sign ur cat over to them

That is because paying for owned cats is not what Cats Protection is about, it is about helping cats who have no one. When people give money to Cats Protection it is for Cats Protection cats and should not be spent on owned cats, they could get into trouble with the Charities commission if the money is not spent on CP cats. The Voucher money is different as that is from a different account.

so are u saying if i came to u wanting to adopt a kitten youd say no

If you were on benefits or lived in a council house, yes. And before anyone says anything I dont think there is anything wrong with those who live in a council house, but round here they are only allowed 1 cat and 1 dog.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 18:13:11 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 18:00:50 PM »
can't speak for ela, but

You can because I agree with you completly. There is no way I would home a cat where people had to rely On PDSA for treatments. Also remember that round her there is no PDSA hospital or clinic and so a person can only register 1 pet and that is only if they live in a certain post code. some post codes are not covered at all. It is only the hospitals and clinics where you can register 3 pets and usually people who ask for more cats who are on PDSA have more than 3 pets anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 18:10:17 PM by Ela »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 17:50:47 PM »
i have a dog and 7 cats and all of them are well looked after all up to date with jabs,flea and worm treatments ,all neutered apart from makosi , all of them get good food ,treats and a whole lot of love 24/7 in our house the animals come first end off !
theres nothing id not do for any of them , so are u saying if i came to u wanting to adopt a kitten youd say no ?

someonelse could come to u with only 1 cat and ask to adopt yet after the adoption they may let there cat out to roam the streets , work all day not bother with there jabs or flea.worm treatments ,
just coz someone has a lot of pets it doesnt mean they are not as well looked after and cared for and dearly loved as someone who just has the one cat or dog .
I can't speak for ela, but imo there's a difference between having 1 or 2 pets when money is very tight (or having several and circumstances changing) and acquiring more when someone can't afford veterinary treatment for the ones they already have.  There's nothing at all wrong with getting help with vets bills via pdsa etc. but I think for someone to take on more pets when they already need financial help for the ones they have would be wrong. 

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 17:40:51 PM »
if the person was genuine then they'd ask someone to lend the money ,take out a loan , or sale or pawn something to raise the money

So Forever are you saying its not right to ask the PDSA for help? What about people in my curcumstances that just cant afford the on going treatment for the rest of their pets life? I'm sure without the help of the PDSA my Ollie would possibly die. Why should only people who have money be seen as responsible owners.

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 16:22:16 PM »
Ela : why wouldnt u ?

i have a dog and 7 cats and all of them are well looked after all up to date with jabs,flea and worm treatments ,all neutered apart from makosi , all of them get good food ,treats and a whole lot of love 24/7 in our house the animals come first end off !
theres nothing id not do for any of them , so are u saying if i came to u wanting to adopt a kitten youd say no ?

someonelse could come to u with only 1 cat and ask to adopt yet after the adoption they may let there cat out to roam the streets , work all day not bother with there jabs or flea.worm treatments ,
just coz someone has a lot of pets it doesnt mean they are not as well looked after and cared for and dearly loved as someone who just has the one cat or dog .

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 16:15:43 PM »
Im sorry but down here there are 2 pdsa`s  one is a clinic one is a hospital
u can register 3 pets with them and as long as u show them ur proofs u can see the vet the same day as u register ,yes u do have to re register every 6mths but that is no big deal as all u have to do is show the proofs and sign , also if its an emergency u get an appointment the same day straight away ,

im sorry but down here if u rang up the cpl and ask them for help with a medical emergency theyd tell u no  :censored: way ,if u cant afford to pay for treatment then theyd suggest u ask someone to lend the money if not sign ur cat over to them ,

if the person was genuine then theyd ask someone to lend the money ,take out a loan , or sale or pawn something to rasie the money , i myself have recieved charity by having the neutering vouchers but id not dare ask a charity for help to pay a vets bill ,
honestly where i live theyd die of shock if u ask them for help with paying a vets bill for ur own cat ,
if people have pets they have to take in to consideration there situation may change but they still have to ensure there animals see a vet when there unwell  and even at the pdsa u do have to make a donation.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 16:01:37 PM »
I think some peoples perception is why get another pet if you have 1 that is sick, but many people already have other pets when another becomes ill, we can only play the hand we've been dealt.

You would not believe the number of times people apply for a cat or kitten are on benefits and already have 6 cats and other pets. I just cannot home another little one in these circumstances.

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 15:14:35 PM »
Thats true Ela, my mum had to get PDSA help through a private vets because there were none in the area. Although I don't know how long it took to come through, the vets were very understanding and helped in every way they could as the cat was ill and had cancer. And yes you can only register 1 pet through a private vets.

I think some peoples perception is why get another pet if you have 1 that is sick, but many people already have other pets when another becomes ill, we can only play the hand we've been dealt.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 14:22:46 PM »
Ela can I just ask from your experiences in which cases will they not help with medical emergencies? The 1 I go to will even help a stray if its an emergency.

There is a difference between PDDA hospitals/clinics I understand you can take them there on the day and perhaps register. Also I understand you can register more than one pet.

However in many parts of the  country they  do not have a PDSA hospital/clinic and they are covered by private vets and even then they do not cover all postcodes in every area. And so if you had not registered under the PDSA with the vet (Only one pet can be registered, and it take about one month to come through) if you had a medical emergency quite simply your pet would not be covered. Also a number of vets have dropped out of the PDSA scheme due I understand payment problems.  I understand very occasionally people can ask for a special case, to be made however, I personally  have never known an animal being accepted.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 14:16:48 PM »
At the PDSA I go to you show them some sort of proof that your getting a qualifying benefit and they register you on the same day, and yes you do have to re- register every 6 months, and you can also register 3 pets at mine.

You are only allowed to register one pet per household in our area. :(

And I also think that if someone asks for help from an organisation like this they are caring owners and just want to help their pets.

I agree. Better to feel a bit humble and get the help necessary for your pet than to let it suffer purely down to lack of funding, as some people do.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 14:01:55 PM »
I use the PDSA with Ollie as he has to have on going treatment, which I was using a private vets before my curcumstances changed. I don't see this as me sponging off them, I'm just trying to do the best for my pet.

At the PDSA I go to you show them some sort of proof that your getting a qualifying benefit and they register you on the same day, and yes you do have to re- register every 6 months, and you can also register 3 pets at mine.

Ela can I just ask from your experiences in which cases will they not help with medical emergencies? The 1 I go to will even help a stray if its an emergency.

And I also think that if someone asks for help from an organisation like this they are caring owners and just want to help their pets.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 13:40:12 PM »
I have to say, I myself am in what is probably considered by most people to be an entirely inappropriate position to care for my cats financially should a big medical emergency arise. But for day to day care, my cats have everything they need and possibly a little more. I love my cats an awful lot and will always find a way to raise the money, should it be necessary.

It's a grey area. Some people who have (and sometimes have always had) a small amount of money will put their all in to caring for their pet and will go without themselves, when necessary. As opposed to other people who have ridiculous amounts of money and have no concept of what compassion is with regards to their pet. People with money don't ALWAYS make the best owners.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 13:30:14 PM »
I was just  thinking how I could bring up this topic having read the post.

but it makes me sad to see assumptions being made about things like this.

I agree with you 100%, I know sometimes people circumstances change when they already have a pet, but to take more on when the cash situation is not too good in my opinion is so unfair

if someone is on low income then the PDSA are there to help with medical emergencies."

Not in all cases

I would just like to say with regards to the PDSA, in some areas they are able to offer very little financial assistance. They only have PDSA surgeries in a few large cities, and a lot of places where the PetAid scheme is run, can't get vets to agree to participate in it.

I agree, also if it is a Private vet that deals with PDSA you cannot just take the cat when a emergency arises, the cat has to be registered for PDSA and the registration usually takes about a month to come through and then every 6 months you have to re register. Also in these cases you can only register 1 pet.

I think it shameful when people adopt a pet knowing they are not in in a position to care for it and expect others to pay.

As previously stated people already with pets and their circumstances change through no fault of their own is understandable.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 13:32:47 PM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
PDSA financial assistance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 13:15:25 PM »
From the Pregnant cat thread:

"Ela: I can't believe people have the cheek to ring up the CPL and ask if they can help towards a medical emergency. I'm sorry but that's taking the   :censored: , if someone is on low inome then the PDSA are there to help with medical emergencies."

I would just like to say with regards to the PDSA, in some areas they are able to offer very little financial assistance. They only have PDSA surgeries in a few large cities, and a lot of places where the PetAid scheme is run, can't get vets to agree to participate in it. If people phone the CPL for help with money, you can't always assume they're irresponsible chancers. Sometimes, they're caring owners who are trying desperately to find a solution to a difficult situation.

Sorry if I offend anyone with this thread, but it makes me sad to see assumptions being made about things like this.

Link to CatChat