Author Topic: Lost - my beautiful Buddy - Traumatised but home after 58 days  (Read 88006 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Lost - my beautiful Buddy
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
Come on in Buddy your friend is waiting for you  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2009, 01:56:46 AM »
Sending positive vibes Miriam for this to be Buddy and for him to go straight into the trap!~~~~~~ :wish:

If he has a favourite food of the smelly fish variety I would use that, also try to conceal the trap with cardboard or whatever to make it look less menacing to him!

Very best of luck!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 15:20:27 PM »
OMG PLEASE let this cat be Buddy - fingers, toes and everything else crossed - we could all use some good news at the moment xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
Just caught up with this Miriam - I have everything crossed for you both  :hug:

He won't have forgotten you - don't worry  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:23:11 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2009, 00:37:25 AM »
This is sounding so promising :crossed:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 23:38:15 PM »
Just seen this and I do hope its Buddy. He would remember you but his attitude to people will be affected by fending for himself for 7 weeks.

Lots of luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 23:24:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've managed to sort out a loan of a trap, my friend will help me collect it on Saturday morning as I don't drive.
The couple said they will keep an eye on him and keep feeding him.

i too also really really hope it is him. My biggest clue is that Buddy has a kink in his fur at the top of his tail and this cat has it also, there are also the identical marking pattern on his fur. If I could pick him up I'd know for sure! Buddy didn't like to be picked up at home anyhow, would always run away, only want a cuddle if he came to me, not if I went to him!

Thanks Dawn for reposting Pink Bear's thread, wouldn't it be great if mine ends the same!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 14:44:03 PM »
Fingers crossed for you miriam  :hug: :hug:
They get very spooked being lost and often cant be picked up and boxed like they normally would.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 14:35:16 PM »
If only this is Buddy  :wish: :crossed:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
Hi Miriam  :) I've only just seen this and so hope it is your Buddy  :hug: he certainly could be showing reluctance because he is cautious. 

:wish: for you and Buddy xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »
this is taken from a thread by pinkbear a while back its a story that I always remember because Tilly was missing very close by for ages but it shows that she did need trapping although settled down at home straight away
- I'm sure pb won't mind me nicking from her thread

On Friday morning, when it was still dark, a small streak of black fur darting across the street up the road, caught my eye. Although I had leafleted the house of the garden it was, I hadn't spoked with the occupant. On returning home that night, I knocked on his door.

The   confirmed a small black cat had taken residence in the nearby garden of a vacant property around 2 months ago. But "you won't be able to get near her. I've tried and she just runs..."   Well, she isn't his cat, is she!! 

I'm happy to report after a short trapping campaign, Tilly was caught at 3am. She was very hungry, a bit scruffy, full of worms but otherwise fine. The whole time she must have been less than 200 yards away but because her escape route had taken her via a door she'd never been through into territory she'd never seen before, she litterally didn't recognise her own front door. Because she'd been so scared, she must have only been coming out in the middle of the night so I hadn't seen her before.   

I'd like to thank my employer, Eastonways, for calling me up an begging me to work overtime that day as I never would have come out the door that early.

Anyway... take heart the rest of you. She was gone for 2 months and I'd accepted I'd never see her again but I found her... And knock on those doors because this neighbour bloke was as thick as   and I've still got a score to settle there. 

Off for a cuddle with my Tilly.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »
Oh Miriam just seen this and I have everything that I could possibly cross crossed for you!  :wow:

A cat does act differently if it is not used to a situation...Yes he would remember you but he will be so cautious after fending for himself for that amount of time!  ;)

Sending positive vibes to help Buddy realise that its his mum who has come for him~~~~~~C'mon Buddy, not long now till you will be safe and sound and back where you belong!!!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Very best of luck Miriam!  :wish:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
he do look at me when i called his voice and i think the sound of my voice kept him returning. No he sadly  not microchipped but if i could see him really up close I could tell better.
I know not to get my hopes up to high just in case but the shape of the body, albeit slimmer and his back and sides  looks exactly the same. All the other tabbies I crossed paths with in this neighbourhood were very friendly and approachable. This cat walks very low down. The couple has already spoken with the cat owners they know on their street and they all say that this is not their cat.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
it would be wonderful if this cat is Buddy  :wish: :wish:

but I know you will want to be sensible about it - is it certain it is a he?

does the cat show a response to your voice, calling to him as you called to Buddy? I don't think a cat would forget that in 7 weeks, and a lot longer, though it's understandable he might be wary of any human contact after that length of time

but Buddy is microchipped, isn't he, so you will know for certain if you can trap him
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »
oh miriam I am so hoping it is him!!!!

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
so I have spent two hours in the callers garden today, I do believe it is Buddy but I would like to see the belly to confirm but all his tabby markings are in exactly the same places as Buddy, the only different is in the eyes, the pale green colour is right but it could be just a look of caution in the eyes rather than relaxed.
They told me the cat normally is very shy and only comes out once in the morning. With me there, the cat came back about 5 times and they said he looked a lot more relaxed than normal.
But very, very nervous, I couldn't get very close to him without him running away.
I have left a message with my local cat protection branch to ask if  could rent their cat catcher/trap box so hopefully they will call me back or I'll go out and buy one.
The couple said they are keeping an eye on him and will keep feeding him.

Question? - can a cat forget their owner after a long separation? (been 7 weeks) or it is that they just are worried about anyone coming near them?
Thanks guys, will keep you updated.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2009, 02:26:00 AM »
I so hope that the cat is your Buddy, that would be absolutely fantastic  :wow: :crossed:

How far away is this persons house from the vets where Buddy went missing?  Also, I'm sure the man is genuine but can you take someone with you when you go to have a look or at least let someone know what time you are going and the address and arrange to text them at a certain time to let them know you're safe :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2009, 00:16:57 AM »
 I so hope its Buddy  :hug:
:crossed:
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2009, 23:44:12 PM »
 :crossed:
Really hope thats its Buddy -that would be fantastic news - good luck

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2009, 20:47:13 PM »
Oh that would be amazing.  Fingers crossed for you xx

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2009, 20:44:00 PM »
Hi,
I don't want to get my hopes up just yet but I had a call from a man who has a stray coming into his garden for a little while. today he managed to take a photo and send it to me, it's t fairly clear and I am about 85% sure that it is Buddy. He says the cat comes round about 7.30 in the morning so I am invited to his home in the morning to check if is Buddy.
If it is, it would be too good to be true.
fingers crossed xxx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2009, 22:54:12 PM »
each rescue has its own rules, but I would guess that being out all day is not considered a problem with older cats, who sleep all day anyway - at least mine do

there are so many cats in urgent need of a good foster home that I'm sure there are several who would be only too glad to bunk down with you for a while

good luck with it :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2009, 22:33:03 PM »
Hi Trigger,
TBH, I appear to have been thinking of fostering or something for a while, knowing that there are so many sweet cats out there needing a helping hand. I have learnt so much from the countless Purrs threads I have read through.
I live alone, work full time in the emergency services so my hours are all over the place. Do you think I could still be a suitable candidate?

MY nearest CP is Ealing and West London and I am pretty close to the Mayhew Animal home who take on a lot of animals found/confiscated/rescued by my fellow staff at my police station.
I  don't think Buddy would feel betrayed if I could help some of his fellow cousins.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2009, 21:58:39 PM »
I don't know if you have thought of offering to foster a cat for a rescue, Miriam, while you wait to hear  any news of Buddy?

would it not help you  to have a cat to look after, but not one which would make you feel disloyal to Buddy?

and  I would imagine, though I don't know for sure, that a rescue would be very willing to find another placement for the cat if Buddy is found
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2009, 21:46:34 PM »
You're right Gill, I don't know for sure if he is on the bridge or not. A friend of mine, last year when she was on holiday, a neighbour was looking after her cats and one went missing. After all her searching with no joy, she consoled herself with the belief that someone else had taken the little one in.

bizarrely I got a call via animal search UK a couple of hours ago, I went out to the call and it was for the same cat that I got about a dozen calls for but very touching that people still have my copy of the missing leaflet. Quite a lot of the calls were from people who had lost a cat themselves once and know how it feels to go through.
I still 'talk' to Buddy everyday. I even wake up super early at the times he would normally tap me on the head to let him out.
I got a couple of his photos made up into 18x12" poster prints, they almost seem life size which I love.

All such a shame.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2009, 18:47:47 PM »
This must be so very hard but dont control the grieving cos it means that you are bottling it all up and thats what makes you ill  :hug: :hug:

I think you have to try and be positive and as you have not heard of anything happening to him, he is probably still alive and therefore he is just missing and maybe in a new home. This of course doesnt help cos it gives you no closure but in your heart and head you need to make a big decision............are you thinking he is on the Bridge and therefore need to grieve properly or is he just missing and therefore you still have hope.

sending loads of these for you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2009, 16:21:56 PM »
next week I hit 50 days missing, 50 days!, I cannot believe it it such a large number!
Everyday I still put the day old clothes on the line, daily sweepings blow out into the garden and his biscuits get eaten up almost immediately by a pigeon who has cottoned on to there being food available.

For everyone who has gone through this, when does the pain begin to ease?, Some days at work I have to fight to hold my emotions down. At home, I can picture him in every single inch of the home and the garden, playing, sleeping, etc.
I've developed minor health problems, just the stress and anxiety showing itself physically so I'm trying to 'control' the grieving so that the problems only stay minor.
Wow, when life really wants to test you it sure can!

Come home little Buddy, promise I'll give you your favourite food for dinner and more kisses than you can ever imagine. Mummy loves you.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2009, 13:36:33 PM »
his survival instincts without you are far better than yours without him

Very true! Hang in there Miriam.....C'mon Buddy even your pal is wondering where you are!  :cat chat:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2009, 23:43:21 PM »
Buddy won't be out in the thunderstorms, Miriam - he will have found himself a little hidey-hole to shelter in - cats always do

it's truly awful for you to be wondering what has happened to him, and if you will ever find him - I can't imagine anything worse - but he is probably doing OK out there, wherever there is - so don't torment yourself unnecessarily - his survival instincts without you are far better than yours without him

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2009, 23:13:35 PM »
awww Miriam, hoping Buddy is back with you soon  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Essa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2009, 23:09:35 PM »
miriam hun, have you tried leaving an unwashed item of your clothing plus food by the back door ?? i was advised to try it when my joey went missing and he came back, they try and get home by scent... got to be worth a go ... good luck ...

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2009, 20:54:48 PM »
Thinking of you Miriam and keeping everything crossed that Buddy finds his way home to you xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2009, 16:17:37 PM »
over 6 weeks now since my little Buddy has been missing, I so do miss him.

This morning I was up before dawn as working an early. When I came back out of my bathroom, still dark outside, sitting on my kitchen counter was one of his friends, it was so nice to see a cat in my home!. For the first time in six weeks I opened a packet of cat food to give his friend a snack, I hope this cat visits again, he tends to visit when it is dark outside so not often in summer.
Earlier in the year, this cat ( I call him Fluffy) brought Buddy home as he had got hurt (limping) and as they came over the fence, Buddy looked up at me, his meow was like saying 'Mom, I'm hurt!'. His friend stayed with him until buddy was safe inside, I thought it was sweet of him.

Buddy used to run back inside from a strong gust of wind in the garden, I can't see how on earth he could survive the numerous thunder storms we have had this month.
Aaah, miss him so, so much. I wish I could find him and tell him.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2009, 22:08:54 PM »
Aw Miriam, I know (as do many of us on here) exactly where you are coming from, I hate it when someone is hurting..... :hug:

In reality, we all dont know what has happened to Buddy, I so wish I had a magic wand to make it all better for you!  :care:

Alas all we can do is hope...I sincerely mean that Miriam, strange things have happened as you have probably been acknowledging for yourself!

There will always be a story of hope, and you must try to remember that....I am so hoping that yours will be one of them!  ;)

Buddy if you are hiding out somewhere and getting tit bits to keep you going, please make your way back home soon!  :wish:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2009, 21:31:01 PM »
Thanks Bazsmum.
It's been over a month now. I'm in a strange strain of grieving I think. I keep myself as busy as possible, taking overtime at work etc but no matter how busy you keep yourself, eventually you have to return to an empty home and reality.
The daily biscuits I leave out in the garden are being eaten by a pigeon who's now timid with me. I tell the pigeon, 'go find Buddy and bring him home!, you can see where I can't see!'

I have a family of blackbirds in my tree who are now so relaxed, the mum brings her youngsters right on to my patio, guess there is no one chasing them now!
And two of Buddy's fellow cat friends have been coming into my garden looking for him and looked confused to not find him there, I tell them two also to go look for Buddy!

When you have no choice but to 'carry out' with normal life and you can still laugh at a joke or smile at  something, there is always the 'sad' feeling surrounding everything, I know a lot of people here will know exactly what I mean. Feel guilty if tears haven't fallen for a few days in case that means you don't care anymore or something which is so far from the truth. I noticed that I talk of Buddy in past tense more than present tense, like 'He used to this, he used to do that' and then I wonder if I should even be using past tense or not.
Everyday before I went out to work, my words to him would be, 'Bye buddy, mummy loves you' and I now say that to his photo and instead of kissing him, I place a gentle kiss on his chair.
Aaah, I guess the tears have returned!, best go.
Miriam

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2009, 13:20:37 PM »
Am thinking of you Miriam and wishing you well!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »
Hi Miriam,

I responded to your lovely comments about rocky on my rainbow bridge thread but just wanted to say how sorry i am for what you're going through. I love Buddy's photo, he looks like such a gent and I feel so sad reading about whats happened. It must be so hard coping with the uncertainty and frustration but don't give up hope. Your boy is clearly so very loved and I just know he will do everything he can to get back to you. Cats are such determined survivors and from all the stories on here of missing cats who make it home, you know there is always hope.

I can't imagine how hard it must be, when my Rocky went missing for four days I was going out of my mind imagining all sorts of horrible scenarios. i was lucky that he made it home (even if it was with broken hips!) and I have always believed that a much loved cat - like your buddy -will fight to survive even more than normal. I really hope you find your faithful companion and he gets to curl up in his directors chair and be spoiled by you.

Sending you lots of  :hug:

Nicola

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
just trying to keep in my mind all the stories of the people who got their cats back after a really long time, I know that there is always a small chance of being reunited with him.

My own vet told me a story about one of his feline patients.  The cat and his owner lived in Dorset.  One day the cat went missing and did not return for several weeks.  Meanwhile his owner had to move here to Fulham.  He gave up hope of finding his cat again but kept in touch with his former neighbours just in case.

Eighteen months after the chap had moved to Fulham, he got a call from his Dorset neighbour: his cat had strolled into their garden one day completely out of the blue.  He drove straight down to Dorset, confirmed the prodigal cat was his, and brought him up to Fulham, where they now live happily together.

Never give up hope  :hug:

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:57:49 AM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
My posters were animal search UK ones with two clear photos and reward in big letters and a freephone number but all the possible sightings that kind people called about were never of him as I got to meet all the cats they called about
just trying to keep in my mind all the stories of the people who got their cats back after a really long time, I know that there is always a small chance of being reunited with him.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
Dont want to sound like a pain in the bum Miriam but it may be worth doing some more fliers, with a pic of him on as poss, also stating a reward for safe return....(dos'nt have to be money, could be flowers, chocs etc).

Please dont give up hope.....cats are pretty amazing when fending for themselves!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat