Author Topic: Cystitis - prescribed diet for rest of his life??  (Read 9093 times)

Offline Lindsk72

• Adult Cat
  • Cass and Syd
Re: Cystitis - prescribed diet for rest of his life??
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 15:47:37 PM »
I don't know if you've seen this site by vet Lisa Pierson, but if you scroll down you'll come to the info about cystitis/crystals and diet etc http://catinfo.org/ - she recommends that book by Elizabeth Hodgkins too - you can get it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Your+Cat+Elizabeth+Hodgkins&x=15&y=19

great article - I am trying to find somewhere else that sells Your Cat - Amazon is shipping from Canada and can take 2-3 weeks

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 15:38:14 PM »
I don't know if you've seen this site by vet Lisa Pierson, but if you scroll down you'll come to the info about cystitis/crystals and diet etc http://catinfo.org/ - she recommends that book by Elizabeth Hodgkins too - you can get it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Your+Cat+Elizabeth+Hodgkins&x=15&y=19

Offline Lindsk72

• Adult Cat
  • Cass and Syd
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 15:32:16 PM »
A proper cat diet i.e. high meat (no grains/cereals/veggies) wet food is certainly more suitable - and palatable! However, diet isnt necessarily a 'cause' of flutd, it can be a combination of things - diet may be partly responsible, but being overweight and/or inactive can also contribute, as can low water intake - and stress is a often a major factor. So diet alone isnt always the answer, you might want to look at things like Zylkene if stress is a factor, and perhaps Cystaid which is said to help sooth the lining of the bladder. Fish is actually quite high in magnesium and could contribute to crystals, if a cat is prone, I understand.

My cat Ben had a blockage over 5 yrs ago now, (think it was partly diet - at the time I only fed dry, and partly stress - had moved house) and I changed his diet to raw meat plus high meat content pouch/tins (applaws,, hi-life etc) and he never had another problem.

thanks for this. Syd was previously 5.5kg which the vet said was on the high end, he used to eat a mix of wet and dry and is an indoor cat. so when he had these episodes, we did lots of research and realised there was more to it. so now they both have an outside run, which they get to via a 2 storey hutch, which houses 2 litter trays. he now weighs 4.5kg (loss of 1 kg in about 5 weeks!) and we bought a Felliway about 3 weeks ago. we play with them when we can and try to keep them both active and happy. he did used to like other wet food - but just struggles to enjoy the RC

I have read a bit about raw meat and am currently searching for the book - Your Cat by Elizabeth Hodgkins, which was recommended. i just dont want him to go through a blockage again but want him to be happy (and not so skinny)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 15:27:49 PM »
A proper cat diet i.e. high meat (no grains/cereals/veggies) wet food is certainly more suitable - and palatable! However, diet isnt necessarily a 'cause' of flutd, it can be a combination of things - diet may be partly responsible, but being overweight and/or inactive can also contribute, as can low water intake - and stress is a often a major factor. So diet alone isnt always the answer, you might want to look at things like Zylkene if stress is a factor, and perhaps Cystaid which is said to help sooth the lining of the bladder. Fish is actually quite high in magnesium and could contribute to crystals, if a cat is prone, I understand.

My cat Ben had a blockage over 5 yrs ago now, (think it was partly diet - at the time I only fed dry, and partly stress - had moved house) and I changed his diet to raw meat plus high meat content pouch/tins (applaws,, hi-life etc) and he never had another problem.

Offline Lindsk72

• Adult Cat
  • Cass and Syd
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 15:23:37 PM »
My Sylvester had cystitis which after putting him on a half RC urinary diet and half other foods it just got propgressively worse until we kept him on a strict RC urinary diet and then no more bouts.     

I would recommend being strict hunnie as with male cats cystitis can quickly become dangerous and affect male cats quicker than females.

thanks MrsR - does Sylvester like it or just tolerate it?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 15:21:45 PM »
My Sylvester had cystitis which after putting him on a half RC urinary diet and half other foods it just got propgressively worse until we kept him on a strict RC urinary diet and then no more bouts.     

I would recommend being strict hunnie as with male cats cystitis can quickly become dangerous and affect male cats quicker than females.

Offline Lindsk72

• Adult Cat
  • Cass and Syd
Cystitis - prescribed diet for rest of his life??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 15:09:11 PM »
hi

our boy was rushed to the vets about 2 months ago with a blockage - luckily they operated successfully, got rid of the crystals and he came home 3 days later. They gave him metacam and put him on Hills urinary which he refused to eat so was then given RC urinary S/O which he tolerates

but he is losing weight and really resents eating it - his sister eats coley which he loves

Does anyone know if he should stay on this RC prescription food for the rest of his life, as the vet says? we really want to put him back onto coley with lots of water - she said this would affect his PH though. We are so confused and just want him to have a happy life - he is only 1 year old and i can't bear to think of him having to 'tolerate' food rather than enjoy it for the rest of his life

:(

Link to CatChat