Author Topic: I Think it will soon be time UPDATE = OLIVIA is HOME  (Read 13408 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: I Think it will soon be time
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 23:56:39 PM »
So pleased for you Stuart, Misty and Hamish would be proud  :hug: She's a beautiful girl and I'm sure she'll be a Daddy's girl in no time at all  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 23:10:26 PM »
She's lovely!  :Luv2: gorgeous cream - or is she a cameo? as I can see whitish undercoat. I think she is going to love living with you Stuart - doesnt sound ideal the way she's living at the mo.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 22:01:42 PM »
What a beautiful coat and so well groomed  :Luv: 

What's the betting she turns out to be a daddy's girl when she has the measure of you Stuart  ;)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 21:58:58 PM »
Congratulations - shes a dolly! :Luv: :Luv:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 21:40:02 PM »
Oh Stuart, she's just beautiful.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 21:19:59 PM »
congratulations Stuart on the new lady in your life

and a right madam she looks in the middle pic - a glamour puss indeed and doesn't she know it  :shify:

I think you are going to have many happy years with her, and she'll have you eating out of her hand in no time at all :rofl:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 21:02:23 PM »
Just got Back from Liz's, and we've decided to adopt Olivia  ;D She'll be 5 in two days time
We're even more concerned about getting another additional Furbabe now tho, as Liz said she has always been Timid and Quiet
and has always preferred Her own Company, the 4 of them were in the Living room, and there was quite a bit of Hissing going on  :scared:
She did go over to Carol for a short period, but seemed skittish with Me  :( She was fine with Liz and Mike, but then that's who she knows
It is still early day's tho, and we'll have to wait and see how it all pan's out during Her settling in, before we can decide to try and adopt
another Furkid ( OH has now decided that ATM, three would be too much, but would think about it after we have two.
have said in the past that it would be early June before we took any, but ATM that looks like thats going to change
maybe be as soon as tomorrow  :evillaugh:
There has been no mention of Money for Her, but will still ask if she wants anything
I asked Liz why keep them in the shed?? and it is mainly because she has lost so many to the road in the past, that she dare not let them
out, at the same time she can't keep them in the house alltogether because there would be a riot and the fur would be flying.
she usually splits them up i.e. two in the shed and two in the house, but Her 13 yr old Persian ( can't remember name now)
has got a bit of a cold, and she is not putting her back out to the shed ( thats Olivia's Mum  :Luv: )

anyway Here's some Piccys  :Luv: :Luv:

all eyes and no nose  :evillaugh: :rofl:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 21:06:34 PM by Stuart (Dad to Bridgebabes Hamish & Misty) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 13:52:52 PM »
Going out to see the Persian tonight ( Olivia who's 4 yrs old) will try and get a photo  ;)

she told me it would be better that she was the only cat as one of her other ones ( Jack) keeps chasing her
Idid mention that I was thinking of getting one from a rescue, but se made no comment to that  :scared:

The doesnt necessarily mean there will be the same problems  with the cat/s you get from rescue as long as you do the intros carefully.  :)

Looking forward to the photies!  ;)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 13:39:56 PM »
Going out to see the Persian tonight ( Olivia who's 4 yrs old) will try and get a photo  ;)
She has four all together plus two dogs, still didn't really get a straight forward answer when I asked; " why are they kept outside "
although they are in the house during the winter, most of the time they are kept in the shed.
one problem .... she told me it would be better that she was the only cat as one of her other ones ( Jack) keeps chasing her
Idid mention that I was thinking of getting one from a rescue, but se made no comment to that  :scared:

oh well, like I said, I'll try and get some photos
but in the mean time, I'm away to my bed cause I'm nackered  :tired:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 21:24:23 PM »
No probs I am arounf next week but have Peanut at the vet on Wednesday for her tail inspection to see how things are going
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 21:19:20 PM »
Ok Liz, I'll give you a shout later  ;) ( once I've turned around  :tired: )

2 B honest, I very rarely Drink now, too  :scared: of hangovers n stuff  :sick: :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 15:35:32 PM »
O f course it includes a cup of tea Stuart - something stronger though if your OH is driving!!!! ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
That certainly sounds a good idea to take the Persian in first, would also be an excellent chance to work on the poor baby's coat!  ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
I have been worried sick so many times in recent years Stuart as we have lost 3 puds since April 2006 and have rehomed 7 puds in total since then.  Most settled very quickly as I was careful on intros. Freddie was a challenge but he had only recently been spayed and needed to assert his authority mainly through peeing everywhere.  I don't think puds being tormented and picked on by others is very common although initial tetchiness should be expected.

For 6 cats we have one very large cat tray in back bedroom (primarily the pee tray), normal size one in our bedroom (happily rarely used) and another by front door (primarily the poo tray which is fab for visitors  :evillaugh:).  Seems to be enough as the 4 big uns have outdoor access. I scoop the poop from little uns though as soon as I notice it. 

There's no reason why you should choose to rehome 3 all at once Stuart.  Presumably you could introduce the persian 1st and see how it goes and then bring in other 2 later? The persian girl seems the more urgent case.  Just a thought as I am positive whatever you decide will be well thought through.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 00:30:30 AM »
Thanks for all the info about the Persian Temperaments, They sound like a really couthy laid back breed
Just hope that If and when this happens it will all work out Fine, couldn't bear to watch one being tormented and picked on
that isn't allowed in my house  :sneaky:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 00:31:13 AM by Stuart (Dad to Bridgebabes Hamish & Misty) »

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 22:03:40 PM »
Stuart, I am so pleased that you feel able to think about welcoming new furbabes into your home.   It is indeed a very empty place without any but the time has to be right and it sounds like it is, which is good, and I think three is a great number to adopt.     Over the years I have owned three persians and one half (sadly two of which are now bridge babies) and they have all been so friendly and totallly OK with other cats - of course there will always be exceptions but, for me, that is the breed I would be least worried about introducing.   I do hope things work out well and look forward to any updates.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 21:32:31 PM »

Invitation is still open on how our 42 live together with their pets our 3 dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D

does this Invitation include a cup of Tea ??  :sneaky:  :evillaugh:

Like I say, We are not going to Jump in Blindly, when I get Home ( Monday ) OH and I shall be having a long talk
about all the pro's and con's / the In's and outs etc,etc
Will see Liz ( Lady I got Misty from about Persian ) just to find out more info, See if she has a cat run etc
She tried to show me her when I was last out, but I said No, just in case I couldn't refuse  :evillaugh:

Will keep you's all updated, but as I said , it could still be June/July before we sort things out  :shy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 20:52:41 PM »
Outside cats adapt to living inside very well - we have 18 indoor only - mostly at our choice but some through illness related things

Our latest adoptees from May 2008 were 3 ferals aged at that time 14 and her 2 kids aged 8 - all are now injected and none look to go out at all having spent all their previous lives outside fending for themselves I have 3 very greatful cats

We also have ferals trapped and not put back for their own good - we also bought our feral colony when we moved and all are indoor cats and all live happily inside and most folks can't tell them apart from my domestic crew

Cats do adapt and as long as introductions are done carefully and supervised then it can work it takes a lot of work on the human side and I know Stuart and his OH would do all of this

Whatever you decide can't wait for photo's and stories

Invitation is still open on how our 42 live together with their pets our 3 dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 20:16:11 PM »
Im glad you have decided the time is nearly here  ;D
Will the persian want to be 100% indoor, obviously it would appreciate access to a home but would it want to adapt totally, something to think about if you bond and it isnt happy.

This is a really good point. Many cats who have had regular outside access literally wilt if they are forced to remain indoors :(  It would be awful if the persian became unhappy, and doubly so if it is rejected by the other two (and had nowhere to escape to).  A living hell, I'd imagine.  I personally wouldn't risk it, although I can understand why you would like to adopt the persian  :shy:  Good luck with the new kitties, whatever you decide to do :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 14:02:59 PM »
well I've got four, two came as a pair and don't like each other but get on with the others!  good luck what ever you decide to do, they will be lucky babies indeed

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 18:47:18 PM »
Im glad you have decided the time is nearly here  ;D
Will the persian want to be 100% indoor, obviously it would appreciate access to a home but would it want to adapt totally, something to think about if you bond and it isnt happy.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 14:34:52 PM »
Stuart speaking as a Mother of 42 cats since we lost Sailor I can state that even bonded siblings can have we hate each other moments and that when we had only 3 - yes once a long time ago we had Sweetie, Toerag and Tiger - Sweetie was in cahrge and the boys bonded together at a combined weight of 40 lbs were terrified of Sweetie at 9 lbs

The litter tray issue can be solved - we had a covered one in the kitchen - door removed, one in the bathroom and one in our bedroom under a chair and they tended to use 2 out of the 3

Have to say as long as you scoop regularly the smell isn't an issue unless the become exhibitionists and will wait for visitors them perform!

Introductions can be done and I know that you have the knowledge and experience to do that and that a full home is a nicer place to be than an empty home

Good luck and if you and OH need advice give me a shout I can show you how to live with 42 and 3 dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:19 AM »
The other issue as well as trays is do you have the space to introduce a cat to an established pair, and will you be able to afford all 3? Will both you and OH be OK if the persian needs more grooming than Misty did?
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »
If its an established pair and then you bring in another outsider you would need to be very cautious with introductions,ive usually found that when i bring a newcomer in i put them in the spare room with the door closed for about a week ,then open door and put a grill door up so they can see mine and vica versa but no actual contact  after a few days i can then open the door completely and let them inter mingle,apart from the initial show of a few hisses i find that they will accept the newcomer,of course there is exceptsions to the rule where the established cats dont accept and either totally ignore the newcomeer or make their life hell,my bridge babe Ninja never accepted Henry and altho only half the size of Henry used to stalk him and make his poor life unbearable,      Im sure your aware of the pitfalls and i hope you can sort out whats best and give whoever you take a wonderful life :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
3 will be fine Stuart....I had 4 indoor's in a 2 bed flat before I moved and no probs there!  ;)

Im sure you must both be looking forward to having them around!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »

However I have had at times two in bathroom , one in bedroom, one in hall downstairs and in front room LOL

:shocked:  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
I have one tray in the bathroom and two in the kitchen , which are hardly ever used.....I have a big kitchen.

However I have had at times two in bathroom , one in bedroom, one in hall downstairs and in front room LOL..........just had to put them in the most needy places from time to time.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 00:49:44 AM »
I have been offered two cats from someone, when I lost Misty ( 2 elderly, any colour etc,etc ) which I have kept in mind
The only conundrum I have with these are they are very well looked after where they are at, and maybe there may be
some needier elderly Cats at our local CPL ??
but then in saying that, the Persian I have been offered is in the same situation ( apart from being kept outside  :shocked: )
I actually was Offered Her when I lost Hamish, but due to Misty's age and the Persian only being 1yr old I decided that the
last thing Misty needed was to be harassed by a young thing who was wanting to play, while Misty was only wanting to sleep
This Persian is from the same Lady whom I got Misty from ( She has Three as far as I know, but they are all kept outside )
never knowing the comforts of being inside a house or having the company
Because of this I cant stop thinking about Her  :(

at the end of the day, If we decide to get three, 2 will be close and the Persian will be the outsider, and yes!!
"would they get on?? is the big Problem"

I remember when I was courting my old GF, she had BK, Marlyn and Monroe and I had Misty and Hamish
at times I felt really sorry for Marlyn, because when it was only Marlyn and Monroe, she was fine, then the GF took in a stray
and that was the day Marlyn changed, and of course when I came along with My two, It just got worse, poor Marlyn
just didn't like other Cats ( Just for Torment, Misty used to chase her ) and her running away Growling and hissing  :(
She came accross as a really unhappy cat

On Her own she was Lovely and really affectionate  :Luv: until another cat walked into the room  >:(

Last time I spoke with the OH she said she was wanting a Farm with Loads of Cats and a couple of dogs  :shocked:

I said OK, you buy the Farm, I'll take care of the animals  :evillaugh:

I have thought about the ( I may have to have 3 litter trays ) and can't really think where the ell to put them  :doh:
I suppose for easier access I could get rid of my kitchen table, Hmmmm, I've just had a Brain storm on how to remedy that  :sneaky:

Like I say tho there is no immediate hurry ( I ain't gonna jump in with my eyes closed  :doh: )

will be back home on Monday so I can talk through these ideas with My OH
just wanted some feedback from you folks, because I know there's a lot of ppl on here with more than 2 Furbabes :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:01:44 AM by Stuart (Dad to Bridgebabes Hamish & Misty) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 23:15:29 PM »
I have 4 but it can be a struggle when they all want attention in their purrrsonal space!

I agree that to start with at least you would need 3 or 4 trays, espewcially if they are indoor cats.

I think that it will always be hit and mis whether they will get on  unless they all come from the same place but some cats and breeds are much more laid back than others and think that persians and exotics are in the laid back category usually  ;D

Lots of luck in finding the right cats  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 23:09:59 PM »

Our cats are strange though, number 1s in one tray, number 2s in the other!  :evillaugh:

Thats quite common.  A lot of cats don't like to wee and poo in the same tray.  Korky is one of them but he only has one tray - not normally a problem because he's very regular and we are in most of the time so can deal with it.  However, if he does have to to do both together he squats with back legs in the tray and his front legs on the floor at the front of the tray to wee then walks round to the other end of the tray and repeats the procedure at the other end to poo.  It really amuses me. 

Good luck with new puds Stuart whatever you decide.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 22:45:42 PM »
the only thing about 2 rather than 3 (if the 2 get on well) is that most cozy cat beds fit 2 furbabes in, whereas 3 would be a bit tricky. Plus the extra no of litter trays in a flat ( we have 3 trays currently for 2 unwell cats in our 2 bed flat and they take up a lot of room). But if that's not a problem, 3 sounds lovely.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 22:37:18 PM »
3 is a walk in the park Stuart .....
Let us know when they arrive  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 22:19:29 PM »
Well if you are going for two, then another one isnt going to make that much difference really - well speaking from personal experience of course!  ;)

Are they all from the same home?

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 22:12:26 PM »
Aww its lovely that you are now thinking of becoming a cat slave again  :hug:

Just FYI, my two cents - we have three indoor cats and they get along just fine, it may be best to get three cats that are part of an established group already to avoid purrsonality clashes - not that we did this but I know some cats can have completely different traits etc and not get on too well with others in close quarters.

As I said, ours are happy to be indoor and we only have a smallish 2 bed house so I don't think space is an issue, I would recommend more trays though, especially if you do get three they might appreciate 1 per cat especially whilst settling in. We have 2 between 3 cats now but started off with 3 - they just never really used one of them so we didn't see the point!

Our cats are strange though, number 1s in one tray, number 2s in the other!  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 22:08:49 PM »
I hope it all works out for you- how lovely  :Luv:
I think 3's a great number but you'll definitely need more than one tray. Have a think about how you can use the space best and I'm sure with a little thought, it will all be great.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
I Think it will soon be time UPDATE = OLIVIA is HOME
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 21:42:53 PM »
To give a couple of Furbabes thier Forever home,
But I have also been offered a 3 yr old Persian ( who is kept outside  :shocked: ?? ) I know, I know, but i didn't ask why  :-:
while I have been away, OH told me over the phone, she think's it's time because she also now saying the house is so empty with Misty gone  :'(

My dilema is though, would three be too much ?? two bed flat and they'd all have to be indoor babes
Hamish and Misty were no Problem and always used the same litter tray, but just wondering how it would be like with three ??
nothing set in stone yet, and it may be june/july before we take the leap

but I was just wondering has anyone any advice concerning this decision ???

Cheers
Stuart...........

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 20:11:52 PM by Stuart (Dad to Bridgebabes Hamish & Misty) »

Link to CatChat