Author Topic: ADVICE ON AN OLDIE  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: ADVICE ON AN OLDIE
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
When our Squeaky became hyperthyroid he starting knotting badly and I had to just feel and check for any forming every few days and comb/clip them out.   Schui couldn't groom and used to get tiny ones round his legs so I just used to pull them out gently when he was curled up next to me and keep fussing him at the same time  ;) it's a pain but it was the only way to keep up to them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:39:05 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
Ginger used to matt terribly, and the vet did his, that way there was two of us to hold him and one to brush him, as he wouldnt let me do it. I then changed his diet to HiLife, and he stopped matting, so it might be worth looking at his diet
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 00:21:10 AM »
Only if the vets peeps know what they are doing though.

My vet in London used to be able to trim Kocka without sedation and no problems but came here and the vets hurt her bad by curring into a cyst grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 19:07:09 PM »
You could try a groomer or the vets may be able to sort him without sedation if they are not too bad, they often behave better away from home and mum

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 16:45:03 PM »
Could you use these little clippers on him? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Pocket-Trimmer-Battery-Rubberised/dp/B000HC2MDE . They are very small and not too noisy and will work on small knots.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
ADVICE ON AN OLDIE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:57:28 AM »
Need some advice ref my old George (19) he spends a lot of time asleep altho he does have his moments the problem i have is his coat,George is s / ginger and he hates being brushed >:( i can do his back and his chest / neck but he will not allow anywhere else ,his legs and under belly are now getting small knots from lying down for long periods, he gets very stressed and lashes out with all claws extended( means business ),ive tried distracting him while i try but to no avail,even tried cutting them out with nail scissors but he knows what im going to do  and warns me off,i dont want to subject him to the vets at his age and sedation so can anyone come up with any ideas please
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Link to CatChat