Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 72710 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I'm a bit annoyed as the supplier would only sell the vet a whole box of 50ml syringes, which I have to buy. There are 40 in the box! It is easier with a syringe than the bag-giving set method but still. I am a bit perplexed as to why they can't supply other clients with CRF cats with some of them. Max is hardly the only CRF cat around.

Thanks for the vibes as I am very nervous about tomorrow.

Yes, I reckon its easier with syringe - I didnt try the other method, but looking at the demos I decided syringe would be better. Thats a bit much about the syringes!  Hope the bloods go ok tomorrow. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
I'm a bit annoyed as the supplier would only sell the vet a whole box of 50ml syringes, which I have to buy. There are 40 in the box! It is easier with a syringe than the bag-giving set method but still. I am a bit perplexed as to why they can't supply other clients with CRF cats with some of them. Max is hardly the only CRF cat around.

Thanks for the vibes as I am very nervous about tomorrow.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Well done on managing the subs on your own,i bet your feeling tons better now and im sure Max  will benefit from them, Good luck for tomorrow with the bloods :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
I bet you are feeling a lot better in yourself knowing that you are doing the sub cuts correctly!  :hug:

Good Luck for tomorrows results!  ;)

Big head rub for Max x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Glad that you're managing with the fluids hun, and that Max is being a good boy for you.

Best of luck with tomorrows bloods, will be keeping everything crossed for you  :hug: xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
New bag and I did the sub cuts (2 syringes) by myself this morning. The vet's nurse showed me a trick or two that the vet hadn't, which is great. Max is normally an easy patient but he did move, so thank goodness i had the butterfly needle and could follow him. He then lay down on the futon so the rest was easy. He enjoyed the massage afterwards and then ate a small plate of food. It def makes him feel better.
Tomorrow is his bloods. They only had an appointment at 9.40. I know I can't feed him but not sure if I can give him his fluids first at 7.30 or if that mucks up the reading too? He is going to yell if he is feeling ok and there's no food.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Idiot mum here broke the bag tonight. (which takes doing). I was taking out the needle after we'd filled the syringe and Saleem squeezed the bag and the needle flicked it and pop - a little hole. So Max got less fluids than he should have and I have to work out how on earth I am going to do his fluids in the morning. I can go and get another bag but it's really a 2 person job. I don't want to take him back to the vet unless I have to and anyhow he is going back on wed morning for bloods. I know they won't do any fluids until after 11.30 tomorrow which is a bit long. Wish me luck, trying to do them by myself (may have to glue Maxy's little feet to the spot!).

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
He's not eating much but at least he feels a bit better after his fluids. This morning he had a little lick and bite at the catnip banana and was quite perky for a bit. He's due more bloods on wednesday. He does suddenly look a lot older though, especially in his face which is quite white. Although I'm afraid of the blood results, we will treat him as he is, not the blood results. Anyhow he is enjoying having a good fuss made of him a lot of the time but for us it is heartbreaking. It's also funny as he doesn't appear dehydrated and his coat is shiny and he's still at 4.9kgs after his week in hospital, so something has gone wrong with the functioning of his kidneys that isn't classic CRF.
He and Swampy had a 5 second paw bat in bed this morning after his fluids.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Some of my kitties have not been eating as much in the heat so I hope this was just a case of that!

More positive vibes being sent to Max and yourself!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Sending lots of keep well vibes for Swampy and Max from us in Lincoln.
It maybe the hot weather why he isn''t eating much -Winston didn''t eat anything only a handful of biscuits until tonight and then he has only had a bowl of prawns , all the others didn''t eat much till tonight either .
Hope you have a better week with them both -  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  to all of you.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks. I got him to eat a bit of the hi life turkey and giblets pate earlier but he wouldn't really eat this evening. He turned up his nose and walked away from the plate. I hope it's just that it's warm and he's not going downhill already.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
They definitely have them in ASDA. It's the only way I can get my two to take tablets.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Asda, Morrisons, Tesco all sell them, although Asda is the cheapest place. PAH and Morrisons also do mixed boxes of the pate, you get flavours you can't buy individually.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks Philip.  The vet emailed that I can give 100mls. I'll have to give it in 2 bits as only have two 20ml syringes (can get 25mls into them). I plan to get 50ml syringes asap.

Max is eating a bit and happy to be cuddled a lot but is miaowy. As he's always been vocal, it's hard to tell if it's from toxins or from just sounding off. Maybe both. It is freakish though as his coat is still good and shiny and he looks well (for the moment). I've found he will eat Hi Life petit pate cans, the little turkey and chicken complete food ones - can't remember where I got them. Does anyone know please where they sell them?

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
At the end of Maddy's CRF, I was giving her 150ml sub q per day.

Tiffy also was getting a similar amount in his end stage CRF

I really hope Max turns a corner.

:hug:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 21:46:43 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
I don't know much about CRF and fluids Kate but would it hurt if he had more fluids than the vet said?  Whatever, I hope he does ok and you can get enough into him.  Positive vibes for a good result  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I've been reading up and it does seem that 100mls per day is average for a cat with serious, end stage CRF whose numbers rise when not on IV. The vet did say 100mls initially but then he didn't have any 50mls syringes in stock today (busy saturday too & he doesn't keep them routinely as they are 'expensive': hey, I am paying here) and I'm unhappy that he told me Max must now have 50mls pd as don't think it's enough. He's been on a 500ml drip bag in 24 hours or so. I am going to email the vet to check but what is given on average? Is 100mls per day such a lot? I'm sure that is what Max had in the first week after his blockage before his numbers had been dropped on IV.

The vet just said today that a cat who needs 100mls a day hasn't got much of a future. But that's what he thinks for Max anyhow - he thinks he is end stage. I know when he was home before and we only gave about 30 - 40mls daily he didn't do well. I just don't think it was given enough thought again today, especially when he realised he only had 20mls syringes. All the american sites I can see use 100mls of lactated ringers (I asked for ringers, they didn't order them so I have got some fluids with potassium and lactic acid in as well as saline for Max). I am actually feeling anxious and angry now that he is home and I feel that the advice from thursday has been changed. The vet isn't at work now until tuesday either, which is a long time in Max's life.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
My Max is home. He's quite nervous poor little guy and is currently hiding in a cardboard box - but purrs when "discovered" and has eaten a bit of fresh chicken and had one of his horrible 1 minute wees.
His face is so white now and he looks older but he's glad to be home and had a lovely rub against the doormat.

The vet gave us 20ml syringes and seems to have changed his mind from giving him 100mls to now giving him 50mls a day - we think he was busy so will probably try to give him about 75 using the syringe and butterfly needle system, which looks just as hard as the other one but at least you have some idea how much you are giving him.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Here's hoping he manages to keep well when he gets home tomorrow....Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Home tomorrow at about 12.30 I think, at the end of surgery. We are going to be shown how to do sub cuts with a syringe so we can measure his fluids exactly (theory!) twice a day. He needs to be home now. He's happy in there and eating and I just hope he will keep eating at home. He's only getting fresh chicken and chicken Applaws now - anything he likes basically.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
That's down a fair bit isn't it?  Hope he has a good weekend is he home?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max just had in house tests done. His creatinine is at 375 (probably 100 lower in the lab) and urea up to 19. The vet just warned me that he thinks Max is very ill despite the normal phosphorus readings and very low protein in his urine. We must just make the most of what time we do have with him.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Sending lots of positive vibes for Max and hope he has a better day today and you also  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Adding my hopes to those of Gillian and Bazsmum, and all of us thinking about you and the boys.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Hope tomorrow's visit is better for both of you  :hug: and that Max remains stable when he comes home on Saturday.

Ditto!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Hope tomorrow's visit is better for both of you  :hug: and that Max remains stable when he comes home on Saturday.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Today's visit wasn't great at all. Max had dogs either side of him, so he was so stressed and I had to virtually climb into the cage and stick my head under his blue blankie and then I got a purr. I also couldn't stay long as had to come home to see to Swampy and try to put a drop in his blood filled eye.
Max looks like he is coming home on saturday. The vet said today (for the first time) that fluids for so long can impair the efficiency of kidney function, but being on them this long will bring down his creatinine, which if it is too high, is just going to be hopeless. So it's a tough call. He thinks one more day though is a good idea. I could see that he doesn't think either situation (coming home sooner or on IV longer) will make a big difference in the end, but lower nos won the day. I just hope it's the right call.
Max will have in house tests on saturday and then ones sent to the lab on monday or tuesday next week if he is all right until then.  When I said he looked so well, he said sometimes cats just do, ones that don't have 'normal' gradual CRF. Plus there could be something wrong either with his kidneys or one of them, or with his heart (which would affect kidney function) which without scanning all of him (no way) we don't know about. It just does show how vet medicine and what is possible lags behind human medicine, although the care and attention Max gets is way above anything one of us would get from doctors isn't it.

I hope no dogs tomorrow and that Swampy is fine and I can have a restful, quiet visit with Max.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Sending lots of good wishes your way  :hug: :hug: The Team are sending lots of purrs and headbutts to Max xxx
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Topping up with more good luck vibes for Max  :hug:

and from me too xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Topping up with more good luck vibes for Max  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Thirded:)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
here's hoping you will have many more.....   

Seconded.  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Ah how lovely, so glad you had a good day with Max, here's hoping you will have many more..... :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Oh Kate i am so glad your visit went well and Max was more relaxed. Sending more good vibes for Max. :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
whatever happens when he comes home, I will always remember this afternoon. Max was in high spirits and sat on my lap, nibbled my earring and my forehead, played his favourite game with me, ate, purred and generally is feeling such a lot better. He is calm in hospital and I think enjoying the undivided attention, which is such a relief. He only gets stressed when he sees the vet (sensible!). I had a lovely visit with him. It just does make it so incredibly difficult though that he can be so well with the IV in him and then so grotty so quickly when he is home, but at least we had today and a huge love and cuddle.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max was calm and quite ok in hospital this afternoon. He does so well on that drip, looks like himself and you'd not know he was ill. I wish there was some way of keeping him as hydrated off it, but sub cuts just don't do it for some odd reason. None of it makes any sense, but we must just make his days as enjoyable as possible and keep getting fluids into him too. The vet is changing the bag from isotonic (I think) saline to ringers (the one to bring home) and is going to show me the syringe method of hydration as that can more easily be measured in theory anyhow. The American yahoo group on CRF seem to think that lactated ringers may sting a little less than the other bag so it may be easier.

I have to make the difficult decision on when to bring him home. If he is still happy enough tomorrow, like he was today, we may wait until thursday to do bloods and discharge him. I'm hoping against hope here.
thanks to everyone for all your good vibes and prayers for my baby Max.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
More vibes for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Aww this is sad  :(

Sending Max stay happy vibes  :)

Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Having just been through this all you are in my thoughts and prayers.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Link to CatChat