Author Topic: My 6 babes have severe cat flu given by stray tom cat. Devestated!  (Read 9934 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: My 6 babes have severe cat flu given by stray tom cat. Devestated!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »
Oh Hun I am so sorry to read that your babies are poorly - sending love, huggles and healing vibes xxx wishing Ruby a full and speedy recovery - how old is she?  :hug:  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
How awful for you and your babies, fingers crossed they are all back to full health again very soon, and you can find out where the tom has come from  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, they are up to date with jabs but are due their boosters very soon which won't happen until the flu is totally gone.

The vet said 'yes' they can still get flu but in mildest forms. Unfortunately, the mild forms has proved not so mild.

Narla & Inka have got their energy levels back now though still sneezing.

I thought I would get up this morning & find Ruby dead, but she remains as poorly & lifeless. Back to the vets this afternoon.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »
Sorry Sue - it's a horrible situation  :hug:

I think if the RSPCA got invloved, they would just PTS the Tom in the van  :( - It's not his fault he has the flu and is un-neutered. It's the owners that are at fault.

I hope your cats are on the mend soon - Poor Ruby  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:56:59 AM »
Fingers crossed for all of them, especially Ruby. I have never tried to get the RSPCA to take a cat, you might be best speaking to local CP.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 00:54:42 AM »
I am so sorry that they are all ill and hope that the treatment works for all of them  :hug: :hug:

I assume yours all have flu jabs uptodate?

If so and I apologise for sorta going off course hear but if your are all flu jabbed , I dont understand how yours all have come down with flu.....are we wasting our money getting flu jabs?

I really hope that all of yours will be OK  :hug:

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
My 6 babes have severe cat flu given by stray tom cat. Devestated!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 23:39:38 PM »
A few weeks ago a stray tom cat started visiting, shouting, coming in through flap & stealing food. It also is spraying all over the garden & in the house when I am not around. Disgusting!

Then 10 days ago my Bengal boy Inka & cross Narla started sneezing none stop & became really lethargic. I took them to the vets where I was told it was the flu & conjunctivitis & given ointment & antibiotics.
Then Poppy started so she went too. From there, Lillie Koko & Ruby developed it & so treated. Koko has sneezed today 37 times in succession. All are really ill though Inka has responded to treatment & picking up.

Ruby (Bengal) is the worst & have been in such a state too as I think I may loose her. Today has been terrible & had to rush her back to the vets as she was not responding & had glue like saliva dripping from her mouth & totally lifeless, not a movement from her.
She has blisters all over her mouth & tongue.
She is the love of my life with her mischievous antics. This time last week she was so busy & active & now it is like she is dying.

I have cried & cried today, even in the surgery which was embarrassing. I have longstanding chronic illness, widespread pain & have barely been able to walk today so all this on top of the worry has just exacerbated how I feel & coped.

The vet confirmed that it is more than likely the stray tom has passed the virus on from coming in the house & eating from their bowls. I have contacted my local vets to see if anyone has lost it but no.
I cannot get through to a real live person from the R.S.P.A to report him.

All normality for mine has been disrupted as they don't have the freedom of the flap anymore as keep it shut as much as possible.
I have ordered a microchip flap & hope it fits the hole in the door. Expensive but peace of mind it will be worth it. I just need a 'nice' handyman to fit it.

Does anyone know how to get through to the  R.S.P.C.A  so they can get involved?

Many thanks for reading.

Link to CatChat