Author Topic: Pregnant cat - lots of advice needed, please.  (Read 64156 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Pregnant cat - lots of advice needed, please.
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2007, 14:32:55 PM »
I just think of a scar faced ginger bruiser  :evillaugh:

ALthough the scarfaced ginger bruiser I'm thinking of was called Tat so I don't know why  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2007, 14:18:09 PM »

Belle is good but Thomas O'Malley will end up plain old "Tom"  :evillaugh:

Whats wrong with plain old TOM Mark!!!  :rofl:

Tom said to tell you he likes his name fine  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #297 on: April 10, 2007, 14:09:52 PM »
You could go for the predictable "Shelley" like my mum did  :evillaugh:

Belle is good but Thomas O'Malley will end up plain old "Tom"  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #296 on: April 10, 2007, 13:29:40 PM »
I'm glad he had a name, and such a nice one too  :Luv:

As for the other three, they need names. My two eldest daughters want to name them, but they haven't been allowed a good look yet. My eldest wants to call the little grey and white girl Belle, and my middle daughter wants the boy named Thomas O'Malley (think it's all Disney names we're going for lol)
But little tortie is, as of yet, nameless.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2007, 13:21:03 PM »
Glad everything else is going well, the 2 mums seem to be coping well  ;D
It was such as shame about Lucas but I heard it is really common for 1 or more young kittens from a litter to die. I'm glad at least he had a name, even if it was only for a short time.  :'(

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2007, 13:12:43 PM »
Yeah, two girls and the boy is black and white. Although with them only being about 10 hours old when the vet looked he said it's possible he could get it wrong. I'm sure the wee black and white one is a boy though, he looks boyish already  :rofl:

She might do, Lynn. She's gonna come over in a couple of weeks to have a look at them.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »
2 girls and a boy I believe.......not sure if the boy is the grey & white or black & white
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2007, 12:57:13 PM »
aw thats great news.

what are they by the way, one is a girl but what are the other 2 ?

anychance of your cousin being able to manage 2 ??

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely keeping one, I don't want to think about which one to keep yet though.
My cousin has said she'd love a kitten, I'd like that cos I know she'd take great care of it.
The animal sanctuary I was in touch with that gave me the neutering voucher said they would rehome them if needed.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
[week I couldn't handle x 4. /quote]

so does this mean you could maybe keep 1 and rehome a pair  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
Thanks, everyone  ;D

I'd love to keep them all, but I need to think sensibly and I can't really afford 4 cats. I could manage feeding etc, but sudden vet bills like I've had this week I couldn't handle x 4.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2007, 22:00:01 PM »
Hey Karen,

Only just catching up on this thread as I have been away for easter and crikey what a rollercoaster you have been having.

So very sorry to hear about little Lucas but it would seem that Miss Jasmine is doing a Fab job even with the collar on, I think you have done great with them as well considering this was your first time well done to you.

Are you going to keep them all  ?
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2007, 21:21:36 PM »
i am glad they are doing so well - if the kitts are only taking small amounts, it sounds like she is feeding them well enough and they dont need supplementing.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2007, 21:14:04 PM »
Karen, you're looking after Jasmine and her brood brilliantly...good on ya!

It looks like Jasmine is doing alright with the collar. My oldest girl won't wear one even when it's necessary. She once walked backwards for 3 hours trying to get out of one!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2007, 20:06:28 PM »
They're all looking great Karen!

It must be so exciting seeing them grow by the day  :Luv:

I presume you've been able to get a bit of a well earned rest then hahaha, poor Karen  :hug:

xxx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2007, 19:54:06 PM »
 :rofl: She doesn't like the camera much, never has, bless her.

Can you see how much bigger the babies have gotten in that pic? They're bigger by the day!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2007, 19:15:21 PM »
Karen they look lovely.

:hug: to you and the furbabes. They are very happy kitties I am sure.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2007, 19:08:47 PM »
 ;D  I agree gill she does look like that doesnt she  :rofl:

Karen well done to all concerned coz mum and babies look great  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2007, 18:21:48 PM »
Great picture and I am so pleased that the family are doing well  ;D

I think Jasmine is watching you suspiciously  :rofl:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2007, 18:17:54 PM »
Hey, Yvonne  ;D
Yeah I've got your number, thank you  ;D

No news is good news. Jasmine's doing really well, and the kittens are growing. It was bright enough today to take a pic without a flash, not a very good one, but anyway....

She's doing great with the collar. She's taking good care of the babies. I haven't taken it off her at all. I know if I did she'd go mad when I went to put it on her again, so while she's managing fine with it on it can stay on. It's just another week until it comes off now.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2007, 15:51:10 PM »
Hi Karen,

Congrats on the arrival of the kittens - so sorry about the one that you lost  :RIP: Lucas.

This is my first post in a long time - I am in internet cafe at the moment, had an awful job logging on.  Back from holiday on Thursday.

You have not posted in a while and so may I take it that no news is good news?

Sorry about the problems you have had it took ages for me to read it all, dont forget Karen you have my phone number if you want a chat.

Take care xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #278 on: April 07, 2007, 13:40:42 PM »
karen your doing fine, if you havent actually been feeding them that much and they still seem like they are thriving then it suggests they are getting enough from mum, its ok to pick them up with feeding them though as you'd probably need to hold their head a wee bit to get them to accept the teat however dont hold their head back or put the babies on their back to feed them (like a human baby would be)

Have you started weighing them yet ?  even if you dont want to do it every morning perhaps every 2nd or third morning would be useful as if they are gaining weight then you might not even need to bother supplementing them at all and wont have that to worry about.

Sounded like you were stimulating them properly..maybe the did have a wee pee but the drop just soaked into the cotton wool straight away and you didnt notice, they dont always have to poop every time you stimulate them. 

Hows mum getting on with the collar ?? is she managing to lick them at all or have you allowed her some time with it off watching she doesnt bite her stitches again ?

It is more than feasable that due to the quickness of lucas death it wasnt malnutrition that was the problem but any number of things.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2007, 12:46:01 PM »
There are many other reasons why Lucas may have sadly died.

Personally, I'd leave mum and kitties alone for a while and see how things go. See if the kittens thrive. If they don't, then start supplemental feeding. I'd watch and wait. She should have more than enough milk for 3. The more they suckle, the more she'll produce. The pleasure of her kittens feeding stimulates hormones which encourage the production of milk. If you supplement, they won't suckle enough.

Maybe other peeps, like Lynn, can help more.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2007, 12:38:10 PM »
I know she does, which is why I was asking about stimulating them in case she hasn't.

The vet told me to supplement the feeding. After the kitten died he thought they might not be getting enough from her.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2007, 12:32:57 PM »
So she's wearing an Elizabethan collar? Doesn't that prevent her from washing the kittens? She needs to do this to bond as a family and to clean their bums so that they'll poop after feeding.

If all is well with Jasmine and her kittens, why are you supplementing the kittens feeding?

I'm not trying to criticise you, but help prevent Jasmine from rejecting her brood. I know that if something comes between a feral cat and her kittens, she loses all interest in them in a very short time. 

If the family is well, leave mum to get on with her job.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
It's the collar the vet put on yesterday when she had to be restitched. And I'm not supposed to remove it.
The kittens don't have collars.

Jasmine has been checked over, three times this week, as were the babies one time. The vet is close, but I know they wouldn't come out when all seems fine with Jasmine and her kittens.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 12:26:49 PM by karenjet »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #273 on: April 07, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »
What sort of collar is mum wearing? It may be a good idea to remove it, especially if it's a flea collar. Are the kits wearing any? If so, remove those too.

Yes, I did mean that the vet should come to you. I don't think it's wise to move mum or her kittens yet, but it would be a good idea to have her checked over. Is your vet miles away, or just uncooperative? If so, try giving him a ring and chatting on the phone. Explain what has happened and that you're concerned about the other kittens.

Try not to feed them too much. If they don't suckle mum, she won't produce milk. If she's not feeding them, she'll lose interest in them.

Had a quick look at the link. It seems to be for orphans, but these aren't orphans yet. I'm just concerned that if you do too much, then you'll have to raise them completely.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 12:20:32 PM by Hippykitty »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #272 on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
Here is an excellent link KAren - it is an American site though, so some of the measurements might not be exact, but if you are unsure, one of us should be able to translate into our measurements for you.

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:11:01 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
I think you have to pick them up to feed them, but I think Hippy meant more not constantly handling them, as mum is more likely to reject them then.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »
She might be, Linda, but she can find it hard with the collar so I'm supposed to check.

Do you mean get the vet to come out here, Hippykitty? There's no hope of that with the vet I go to. As long as the babies and Jasmine are okay there's no way they'll come out to the house.
I've only been giving them the 2ml in the morning and at night, sometimes not even that much - they'll take a little drip and that's it. That's what I've been told to do. I've tried not picking them up to do it but I can't, and I've been picking them up in Jasmine's blanket.

I'm so confused with all this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #269 on: April 07, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
I think Hippy has some good points - you dont want to take over too much on teh feeding and stimulating side, as mum may stop altogether then - I think with the feeding, you are best off weighing them daily and only supplementing them if they aren't gaining enough - will find a link later that shows teh weight for kittens. I dont know how you would tell if they aren't being stimulated enough, as mum normally keeps it so clean you dont notice they have gone. Good luck with her, and I am sorry that you are having so many issues - I hope that anyone who wants to let a cat have just one litter will read threads like this and realise that as much as the majority of cats are fine, you get cases like this where a lot of expense, emotions and time has to go into it .
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #268 on: April 07, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
I'm so sorry about the little one  :brokenheart:

I'm not expert concerning kittening, but a few thoughts come to mind which you could put to peeps who have more expertise in this area.

Mum may not like you to interfere too much with the kittens - if you do, she may lose her maternal instinct towards them, or feel threatened, or stop feeding them herself.

I wonder whether the box the family are in is too open for her to feel secure with the kitties; perhaps this is why she keeps moving them?

Don't blame yourself for the loss of her kitten, cats are good mothers, but they get better with experience. One of my cats, Samantha, had a C section (while she was at the rescue) and didn't bond at all with her kits until Polly, an old hand at motherhood, helped her. (That's one reason I took them both.) Sam was very young, and a kitten became stuck inside her.

I would hesitate about handling the kittens, or even taking pics, yet. Leave mum to look after them. However, a visit from the vet may be wise.

Other peeps who've been in your position may have better advise.

I hope all goes well.  :shoosh:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:35:18 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #267 on: April 07, 2007, 01:58:04 AM »
Hi Karen - it can take up to 5 minutes before there is anything.  From what I have read its best to use gentle strokes (replicating what mum would do).  Is mum not doing anything to help with bowel movement of any of the babies???  As I mentioned last night you could try smearing a little cat food jelly/gravy on the babies botties to encourage mum.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2007, 01:14:02 AM »
I gave the babies their little supplementary feed, and Jasmine laid watching me, purring louder than I've heard her in a few days  :Luv:

I did their little bowels but there was nothing. Just to check what I've been doing is right....I'm using cotton wool dipped in warm water, and just gently rubbing them for a few seconds?

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2007, 21:07:09 PM »
Haha, don't worry, Tiggy's mum. I know what you meant.

Thank you, Sam. I know you're all here and I truly don't know what I'd have done without you

:thanks: xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2007, 20:49:50 PM »
Oh dear  :scared: I hope Karen knows what I meant, I just meant that we only want to hear good news because that's all there will be - there can't possibly be any more emergencies for poor little Jasmine.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2007, 20:38:27 PM »
Glad Jasmine is back home and seems to be coping OK with her lampshade!  Fingers crossed you will all have a nice quiet Easter now with no more panics.

Of course Tiggy's mum was only joking when she said we don't want to hear from you unless it's good news!  You know if you need us for anything we are all here for you.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2007, 20:20:30 PM »
Poor little Jasmine and poor you  :hug: 

Hopefully that will be it for emergencies for the next few days at least, we don't want to hear anything from you apart from how well Jasmine and her babies are doing  ;D I can't imagine how stressed and worried you must be, it's getting to me and she's not even my cat!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2007, 20:17:47 PM »
I am so pleased she is back and the family seem to be OK  ;D

Keeping fingers crossed that you are thro the worst  and from now on its plain sailing  :hug: :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2007, 20:15:22 PM »
That's so true, Gill. I really don't like that vets, but as it stands at the minute I have nobody with a car to take me further. My friend was with me today and said the same. The vet I saw barely let me get a word in to tell him what was worrying me. Thank God my friend was there, cos he kept confusing me and she reminded me of the things I wanted to ask about. I wasn't too friendly with them today either, cos their attitude has got to me. They, apparently, only charged me for the drugs they used today. They also gave me a spare collar.

Anyway, I picked her up and she seems just fine. Brought her upstairs to the room and let her out of the carrier. She was a bit wobbly on her feet, but she had a little sniff round the room as if to check if all was as she left it, and got straight into the kitten's box, and they got right onto a nipple each and suckled like mad! I sat with her a while, and she was managing to lick the babies, just about.The collar's big enough, and the kittens are small enough, to kinda fit inside it with her. She's finding it very awkward but seems to be coping. She also ate with no problem.

I came up and laid on my bed to just watch her for a while, she's very cuddly with me and fell asleep on my chest, but the kits woke up and she was straight down, she's feeding them now.

So, another day, another drama. Hopefully that will be it for a day or two.

Link to CatChat