Author Topic: Kidney failure  (Read 5482 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Kidney failure
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 19:15:34 PM »
Im afraid i cant offer any advice on this but i can send you lots of positive vibes for Purdy and also hugs for you :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Kidney failure
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 19:05:54 PM »
My poor baby Purdey (one of the longhairs) was a bit quiet on Monday. On Tuesday she lay around a lot and by Tuesday night was refusing food so I rushed her into the vet first thing Wednesday morning. My vet checked her all over and suspected a blockage from something like a big hairball. I was told to take her home, keep food off her and keep her drinking. My vet hoped she would pass whatever was blocking her up naturally and didn't want her taking in more food and getting more bunged up. On Tuesday she was given a painkiller and a precautionary antibiotic jab. I was given Baytril to administer at home. Her mouth and gums were checked and were a good healthy colour and she was drinking as long as I held the water bowl up to her. She was lethargic but still able to move around.

On Wednesday we went back to the vet. No change so I was to take her in today for x-rays and blood work. When I went back to pick her up I got devastating news. The xrays showed that Purdey's bowels were completely blocked up with poo so she was given an enema and most of it cleared out. However, the real problem became transparent when the first of the blood tests were done. My vet can do some and others have been sent off to a lab.

Purdey is in kidney failure. Her kidneys have completely stopped functioning and my vet says a cat with her blood results should be in a coma. At present we don't know if its acute or chronic kidney failure but my vet suspects more likely its acute. She thinks she may have come into contact with poison somewhere but is surprised that if that is the case she hasn't been sick, isn't fitting or having seizures.

Purdey is on a drip as emergency action now and is being kept in the vets over night. Then I have to collect her at 10.00 in the morning so I can observe her over the weekend. She will remain on the drip at home.

I'm in utter shock. She was so fit and well until Monday when she seemed a little of colour but whilst she was quiet for some of the day she still went outside and saw her prowling round the garden. She has not been sick, has had no fits or seizures and is still able to get up and walk about;she even tried to jump off the vet's table tonight.

Please does anyone have some more information. I just need a reliable source of information as I need to understand this.

Link to CatChat