Author Topic: should i put my cat to sleep afternoon  (Read 20189 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: should i put my cat to sleep afternoon
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2009, 18:20:09 PM »
Please dont hide away Tan....we need to know that your okay and that Milo is happy!

Wise words and you are quite right.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 18:20:54 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2009, 17:52:59 PM »
I keep lurking on this thread... :shify: I cant comment as I will only add to the general echo of the advice but as we all know it has to be Tan to decide the way to go.....

Please dont hide away Tan....we need to know that your okay and that Milo is happy!  :hug:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2009, 16:41:47 PM »
"Drums fingers on desk while waiting for an update!" :innocent:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2009, 13:35:10 PM »
What I keep thinking dabs

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2009, 13:26:32 PM »
I can't help but wonder if something has happened to wee Milo. :(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 13:15:56 PM »
Me too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
I know I keep checking the thread for news

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
No news!  I, and I am sure, you, too, have been worrying about this little cat,.  I hope we get an update soon

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
How are things today with Milo?  :hug:

Offline MooCat

• Adult Cat
    • Myspace Musician
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
 This is exactly what i went thro with my beautifull boy Ernie , i found it so hard to let go
and probably kept going for longer than he wanted me to , hand feeding and giving him
too many pills.
 Once the nasal bleeding starts its only a matter of time before the tumour grows thro into
the other nostril and they are struggling for breath , unless theres a definite course of
action suggested by the vet (surgery and chemo) then im sorry to say theres only one
kind thing to do.

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2009, 01:59:03 AM »
so much has been said in this post, I'm confused too

Please Tan, You know Milo better than anyone else, Deep down You must know if He is really unwell and unhappy
If you are so unsure what to do, please,Please take Milo to a Trusted Vet, and do what they advise
for Milo's sake and your's
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:00:08 AM by Stuart (Dad to Bridgebabes Hamish & Misty) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2009, 00:58:35 AM »
If he is suffering, I would say you know what to do. Maybe get a second opinion if your really that unsure, I understand you not wanting to let him go if its not needed  :hug:

I have been with my vets for 7 years and I think, although it would be absolutely heart breaking, if my vet suggested PTS I would have to go with their decision.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2009, 18:49:05 PM »
 :'( This is awful to read, please let him go. I had to syringe feed Milly for a few days and she didnt fight me but was unhappy with it so i couldnt continue, she had a tube being put in under GA and i fought so hard to keep her strong for her biopsy results, i know how unfair it feels that despite all your efforts they arent getting better.  I had to let her go, i hated making that decision but my pain of missing her is nothing to what i would feel if i had left her too long.
Its not fair that his last days are spent fighting everything including you  :(

You cant save him by leaving him, a cat physically cant survive without eating, hepatic lipidosis will soon set in and dehydration, both make them feel sick  :(

Please be strong for him  :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2009, 18:18:36 PM »
Wise words and Milo will be with all those little ones we have all loved and lost at Rainbow Bridge.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2009, 18:14:12 PM »
I think tonight sweetie you should see the vet and let Milo go peacefully  :hug:   I know its hard and we will all be here for you.   
I echo these words, it is so hard but the kindest thing  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 18:13:03 PM »
I think tonight sweetie you should see the vet and let Milo go peacefully  :hug:   I know its hard and we will all be here for you.   

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2009, 18:03:55 PM »
hiya i have the ad and i am mixing it into a watery paste, but my cat gets so stressed,

To be honest if that is the case although you will not like what I have to say but I think it really is time to contact the vet again and have another heart to heart and consider the final act of kindness. Tonight if possible.

but my vets is open on saturday til 1230 with my vet if the worst come to the worst, what do you think.

I think you have to ask yourself ‘do I really think that the little one should suffer for over another 40 hours or so’.  Sorry you have asked what we think, so there is no point in me lying.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 18:51:06 PM by Ela »

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2009, 16:57:27 PM »
I did indeed and he said that he was shocked that milo had lasted as long as he had, but now he didnt know what treatment to offer and he thinks we should say our goodbyes, there was a lady with a cat and she had the same diagonis as me in dec, asked how the cat was and the vet aid it had to be put in sleep in mid of jan and he was 5 as well and he had the proper expensive chemo with crystals i think my vet said,  i may be wrong but i remember it began with C xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2009, 16:50:36 PM »
Did you remind your vet what he said in January and that your cat is still here, is that what you mean? From what you say I would do just as your vet says unless your cat seems really poorly then I would take the cat now or ring them to come out.  I would never let the cat suffer, I was in a similar situation recently with my cat Schui who sadly didn't respond to steroids (he also had a suspected nasal tumour) so very similar case to yours.  We didn't know what to do for a few days either but there came a time when I couldn't wait for the next day to take him in, I just knew.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 16:54:41 PM by janeyk »

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2009, 16:48:50 PM »
I have to agree with Janeyk - I think you should strongly consider seeing the vet on Saturday.

Milo is the no.1 person here - I think you have to put yourself in his paws at this moment in time. He's not feeling very well, not his usual self, being taken to and from the vets for treatment he's clearly not happy to have, being asked to eat stuff which he clearly doesnt like, and could be soon wrapped up in a towel to have this food put in his mouth (which I dare say he'll struggle with you).

Do you really want his possible last days with you for him to remember you like that, or someone that will maybe just spend one more day with him, but not forcing nothing on him, spending time with him stroking him, brushing him, showing him love ... and then on Saturday say your goodbyes ... it is a very difficult decision, but I agree with most of the posters on here and your vet in that it is Milo's time to go ... just make his last day or so with you one he'll remember in a nice way.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 16:43:45 PM »
hiya

i did do that yesterday and i asked him what he would do and he would say put him to sleep, but he said that in jan as well, he said i could take him home and see if the steroid injection would take effect and if no results take him in on saturday or tuesday,or do a call out if he become very agigated which he doesnt so as yet xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 16:40:34 PM »
My advice is simple and same as before really, if you are so unsure you need to be able to talk, talk, talk with your vet, ask what they would do.   The thing is I think you need to stick to one person you can trust who will get to know your cat, if I ring my vet up - who I've gone to for 20 yrs they know my cats and if I am unsure and ask her what she would do if it was her cat she will tell me honestly. 

I personally wouldn't waste time wondering any more I'd make an appt with the vet asap, let the vet see her and have a really good chat, that is what I would do I hope you will Tan  :hug:

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 16:31:11 PM »
hiya i have the ad and i am mixing it into a watery paste, but my cat gets so stressed, i am going to try and put him in a towel and see if i can do it that way in a minute as someone suggested on here, i am actually lucky, well i say lucky, but my vets is open on saturday til 1230 with my vet if the worst come to the worst, what do you think x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 16:15:45 PM »
Did your vet not suggest you feed with a/d? That can be fed via a syringe. Having said that if the little one is suffering I think you need to speak to the vets today. Please remember it is Easter and not all vets will be available. I think there has been some very sound advice posted, the trouble is sometimes we do try to clutch at straws and only take on board the information we hope to read. I am sure at one time or another many of us  have been guilty of that.

Take care.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 16:16:39 PM by Ela »

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 15:55:03 PM »
well i give anything a try, i have tried so far all the wet food cat food and chiken and fish and sardines with the sauce and the ad and the royal canin recovery food and bits of my food and nothing, its like i am trying to put something horrible down his throat, he gets quite distraught

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 15:52:46 PM »
he just went and had a long drink of water from a bowl, no interest in food through, is that a good sign, the water xx

Well, we know he can swallow then.  ;D The steroids will make him drink lots more as well. If he can swallow he can eat, what about some good meat based baby food warmed up and reduced even further by a tadge of warm water?

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 15:48:29 PM »
he just went and had a long drink of water from a bowl, no interest in food through, is that a good sign, the water xx

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2009, 15:44:44 PM »
Personally I would disregard everything that has been said on here

:-: No we cant make this decision for her but we can try to help. She is feeling very confussed and is seeking the help of other cat lovers!

Sorry inappropriate, maybe

CC, I think you have misunderstood me. When I said disregard everthing that has been said on here, it was meant as in put it out of her head while she thought thru the options, in order to help her make a decision as she is the only one that can make that choice. I also in the same post put about disregarding all that has been said to her from what ever source in order for her to go off and make her own decision.  I do not think it was inappropriate at all, this is what needs to be done is that she takes herself off and has a think about what she feels needs to be done. Poor Tan is looking for advice and is getting conflicting advice from vets and vet nurses who think she is giving up to easily and are trying the guilt trip on her by calling her a murderer, we on the other hand are saying make the best choice for the cat and end, what appears to us by her posts, his suffering. Quite often the best way is to disregard all advice and make up your own mind. How many of us have received conflicting advice on any subject and have to put it all out of our heads and think about what we want?

Good luck Tan in whatever course of action you take, either way I hope it works out for you and Milo sweetie.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2009, 15:27:12 PM »
well no my family think he should of been pts in jan and what a waste of money and that i am a silly girl when i could of had that money saved and my friends say its just a cat, i even asked my ex but he wouldnt have any of it esp when him and the cat were really close to one another, i have tried all my options

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2009, 15:22:04 PM »
I agree a scan does need o be done first to determin whats really going on.

Could you not get help from family or friends?

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 15:19:07 PM »
i have tried to get a loan but i am always refused, i got into debt when i was young and stupid and didnt have a clue about money i did pay them off all 2 years ago, but find it hard to get a loan if i could i would , so whatever i earn after bills is for me and my cats, which is enough, and i was lucky that i had been saving as i was trying to learn to drive and save for a car, but as soon as he got ill i didnt hesitate to use my savings and i would do it again, but now the cupboard is bare and i am skint this month as i have been paying people to take me to the chemo vet and that was 100 for every 2 weeks, i am literaly living on beans and toast at the minute

i have tried sardines and been rubbing it around his mouth to lick it off, but he gets real distressed, i just told that ladie that maybe i should think about taking him to be pts and she cant understand why i would give up so easily i am so confused

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2009, 15:13:01 PM »
Tan I am in the Leicester area. I have PMd you

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2009, 15:12:07 PM »
Have you tried warming his food, then feeding it too him? It may work, I hope it would.

About the scan all I can suggest is getting a loan, this is what I would do  :hug:

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 14:53:07 PM »
hi everyone

thank you for the advice and yes i know she is a ex nurse as she has loads of cats herself and she treats her cats if she can and if not takes them to her vet who is 2 hours from her as he is so good, she is just very pasionate about me not putting him to sleep as she believes my cat may have a chance of living and that he may not have a tumour which we dont know as i cant afford the scan

i had nearly made my mind up to take him to the vets today and then all of a sudden the last hour his been on my bay window where the sun is and sunning himself , still not eating i hasten to add, but looking out the window and wacthing the birds, could that be a sign his getting better maybe xx

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 14:51:42 PM »
I live in the Staffordshire area Tan if i can be of any help/shoulder to cry on  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 14:45:59 PM »
Personally I would disregard everything that has been said on here

:-: No we cant make this decision for her but we can try to help. She is feeling very confussed and is seeking the help of other cat lovers!

Sorry inappropriate, maybe

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 14:16:06 PM »
Tan, some advice hun. Take youself off for a good walk this afternoon and think about it. Follow what your heart says that you have to do and do it. If you decide to keep him going and are prepared to watch him detoriate which is what he is starting to do, even further and face the very real prospect of him being PTS over the BH by a vet that you do not know, then that is a choice that you will have to live with.

Personally I would disregard everything that has been said on here and what the second vet and this woman who says she is an ex vet nurse, sorry to be cynical here, but do you know that as a fact, as no vet nurse would accuse another person of murder for putting a cat out of its misery and suffering. Put out of your head everything that has been said to date from whatever source, look into that cats eyes and make your own decision. That is the only way you are going to do it.

Where is this ex vet nurse, should she not be with you, helping you to feed Milo, instead of criticising you? Are you anywhere near the Derbyshire/Staffordshire/Leicester area's. I will come and help you, I will take you to the vets and support you thru it. I will see if it is possible to get food into him via some gentle syringe feeding. The offer is there is you need to the help and you are anywhere near me.

Not easy I know but what vet nurse in her right mind would want to leave a cat to suffer simply for the sake of scoring one up on an insurance company? You can fight that fight later, claim comp from them for what might have been treatable, but right now that cat is the main thing to sort.

I know that this sounds harsh but I feel that you are lsitening to this woman too much. Make your own decision, but it needs to be made today ideally.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 14:08:42 PM »
Tan, can you try to choose which vet you really trust and speak to him in detail about what is happening, or even better let him come and see Milo at home? It sounds very bad if Milo is hungry but unable to eat. I think if it was just a cold he would still eat a little  bit (from the steroids), even if his sense of smell wasn't good. If you want to try to get him to eat still, my vet always suggests sardines or pilchards in tomato sauce for patients that can't smell well and so aren't eating.

But your head is spinning because you've been told by one vet that it's his time and another vet to wait and see. Vets see a patient in the surgery setting and it's not the same as at home and it's a short assessment from a patient that can't tell them how he feels. So if possible, that is what I would do in your place - try to get the one you trust the most, who knows Milo, to come, or, if he can't come, to at least see Milo for a decent length of time. Then when he's been examined and you can talk it through with the vet, with all the information you can get, you can make the decision you feel is right for Milo as yes, what the others say is 100% right, only you can make the decision. I'm so sorry that you aren't getting family support as that makes everything so much harder.
My heart goes out to you.  I also think it's important that you get the vet today as the emergency vet could be very good, or may not be. Personally I would not want either of my little ones pts by a vet that I didn't know.
xxx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 14:01:17 PM »
Oh this is really hard but one thing I can say, its only you that can make this decission  :hug:

Only you see Milo, you see how he is and see how he is suffering and you also see his good days, so hard to make a decission I know.

Totally agree, only the owner and the vet know the cat enough to make that decision that's why I hope and pray Tan will sort this out with her vet asap xx

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 13:56:02 PM »
Oh this is really hard but one thing I can say, its only you that can make this decission  :hug:

I have been here myself and wanting to know what I should do from others, but at the end of the day its myself who has to know what to do.

Only you see Milo, you see how he is and see how he is suffering and you also see his good days, so hard to make a decission I know.

If he is suffering I would say you know whats best.

Is so hard loosing a loved friend, but you have to do whats right for him  :hug:

Link to CatChat