Author Topic: Help,I think my cat's had a reaction to Fortekor tablets.  (Read 19378 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Help,I think my cat's had a reaction to Fortekor tablets.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
Good luck - am surprised they wanted to treat teh kidney issues first though, as untreated hyper-t is much more serious. do you know what her levels were?
Please spay your cat

Offline Fennella1

• Adult Cat
  • Fen
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
 Hello to everyone who have answered my cry for help.
This morning Fen is looking much better. She is now talking to me and asking for food but still not eating it. Trembles seem to have gone.She is drinking cat milk so I am pleased about that.
An appointment had already been booked for Fen on Monday 30th , so I will  let you all know what they advise. :thanks:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 21:54:59 PM »
I'm so sorry that Fen has had such a bad reaction. When I first put my Swampy on fortekor he was ok for a week, then became completely lethargic and would not eat and got a bit of an upset tum, so we took him off them. Within 48 hours he was back to normal. Since then he's been put back on them (1 1/2 years later) and is coping just fine, so it does seem to be something weird with side effects (and they are uncommon). I hope that Fen will be feeling loads better very soon.  Hope your vet can sort out some treatment for Fen that has no side effects.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 21:27:37 PM »
Wondering how Fen is hunnie?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 19:51:58 PM »
Two of my cats are on Fortekor and I think it is a wonder drug - I have heard of some cats having a bad reaction to it. Also as someone lese mentioned, It temporarily increaes creatinine levels initially and can tale 4 or 5 days to normalise. Although I wouldn't ignore the side effects, I would check with the vet but it really is persevering with as it really can improve quality and quantity of life.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fennella1

• Adult Cat
  • Fen
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 18:58:16 PM »
Definately ring the vet now and tell him the symptoms -try and keep her warm too.
Have called the vet she said to keep an eye on her  which i have been for 2 days. I will call the vet out if she is no better. thankyou for your concern.
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs, sorry it's not under happier circumstances.

I have used Fortekor in the past and had very good results with it although I know that there can be side effects such as those you describe, I'm sure one of our members had a similar experience but he persevered with the Fortekor and then his cat started to do better.  Have you seen the website www.felinecrf.org ? It really is a mine of information, it does say that Fortekor can initially cause the creatine levels to rise when it's first taken which would make Fen feel lethargic/unwell to begin with.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#ACEI

Do you have the blood test results from the vet ie the actual figures? When you say you phoned the vet on Saturday do you mean today or Saturday last week?  I'd be inclined to give them another ring and explain how she has been as they may need to see her  :hug:

Yes i have the blood results and yes I phoned today . her creatinine level is 217 ,thanks for the  web address.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 18:47:03 PM »
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs, sorry it's not under happier circumstances.

I have used Fortekor in the past and had very good results with it although I know that there can be side effects such as those you describe, I'm sure one of our members had a similar experience but he persevered with the Fortekor and then his cat started to do better.  Have you seen the website www.felinecrf.org ? It really is a mine of information, it does say that Fortekor can initially cause the creatine levels to rise when it's first taken which would make Fen feel lethargic/unwell to begin with.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#ACEI

Do you have the blood test results from the vet ie the actual figures? When you say you phoned the vet on Saturday do you mean today or Saturday last week?  I'd be inclined to give them another ring and explain how she has been as they may need to see her  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 18:40:26 PM »
Definately ring the vet now and tell him the symptoms -try and keep her warm too.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 18:35:02 PM »
I would call your vet again hunnie and let them know she is off her food totally now and trembling.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 18:34:36 PM »
I am sorry to welcome you to Purrs at a time of worry.  I'd call your emergency vet and tell them what's happening.  They may wish to see Fen.

Let us know - in due course - what they advise.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Fennella1

• Adult Cat
  • Fen
Help,I think my cat's had a reaction to Fortekor tablets.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 18:28:52 PM »
"Fen" my cat is 8/9 years old and has just been diagnosed with an over active thyroid and poor kidney function. The vet prescribed Fortekor 2.5mg once per day. She said that it would be best to get the kidneys sorted before we put Fen on any thyroid treatment.I gave Fen her first tablet on Thursday and after a few hours She looked a bit dizzy ,told vet about this but She said that She had not heard of this before.
Later that night Fen became very sleepy and was not eating. Gave Fen second tablet and she has started to become worse. Phoned vet again on saturday and decided to stop giving the tablets. Fen has not eaten all day all She wants to do is sleep and I have noticed that she has started to tremble, like she is cold.
Before Fen started the tablets she was eating lots and lots  , playing, purring all the time and very talkative. We took her to the vets because she was eating and drinking a lot but losing weight.
Has anyone out there come across these side effects with Fortekor? please help my little fur baby!

Link to CatChat