Author Topic: Should I get TC a new companion?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Should I get TC a new companion?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 17:01:02 PM »
"Any ideas on how long I should leave it before I look for another companion for him - sooner rather than later?"

I think you are the only one that can answer that one (guided by your knowledge of TC). Bear in mind tho that some rescues can take a while to arrange a home check.  I waited 10 days for RSPCA. Now, I know that doesn't sound long but, when you have promised a furbabe a home, you don't like to leave them in the rescue. You might decide to arrange a home check first if you have  a particular rescue in mind.

Offline sbunnie

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 15:14:59 PM »
Thanks guys, it was pretty upsetting as she was a relatively young cat, no more than 6.  They came to me as a pair 4 years ago from a rescue centre, TC is much older, we reckon around 12.  Apparently he's always lived with a friend, before Slinky he had another partner in crime.    They did chase each other round the house but I'd always come home to find them curled up together.  When I get home he's always waiting by the back door to go into the garden which he never used to do and I think he's looking for her. I didn't bring her home from the vets and did wonder afterwards if I should have done so.

Any ideas on how long I should leave it before I look for another companion for him - sooner rather than later?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 15:07:24 PM »
Hello sbunnie

Not sure how old TC is but getting another cat for company for both him and you would I think be a good idea in the long run and another mature cat would certainly be better than a lively youngster. Take care though that you are not just looking at age but temperament. We have a placid 2 year old and a 5 year old lunatic (who was very quiet at the RSPCA) and a 17 year old who is quiet but has his moments.  

I'm sure you and TC are still very much grieving the loss of Slinky. I think we are all different when it comes to "replacing" (wrong word I know) a loved cat.  I was desperate to ease the pain quickly by getting another cat and boy was he distracting! It took a while for him to settle with the other two but it has worked out very well.  Best of luck whatever you decide

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 15:02:14 PM »
easipersonnally i wouldnt rush into anything.

did tc see slinky after she passed away ?? i ask because studies have shown that the companions of those who have died often find it easier afterwards if they have been allowed to be with the body.. I guess animals know what death is in their own way..sadly often this doesnt happen or circumstances havent allowed it and the animals that are left dont know whats happened or where their mate is.

It sounds like tc is abit confused and vocalising could be him shouting for his friend.

I'd very strongly advise you to get a couple of feliway diffusers http://www.feliway.uk.com to see if this helps his relax abit.  remember if you do to remove all other perfume diffusers as they will inhibit the feliway.

also obviously making an extra effort to spend lots of time with him yourselves may help.

Offline CheeseGertiDocs Dad

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 14:50:42 PM »
Heylo sbunnie

So sorry to hear of your loss.

When we first had Cheese she was very violent and would be very fighty with us all the time which was upsetting when all you want to do it cuddle the poor thing!
We think it was because Cheese didnt have other cats to play fight with and tussel around the room. I use to try to wear her out but id be knackered before the cat was! lol. She too was very vocal and followed us EVERYWHERE lol

But once we got Gerti and Cheese had accepted her into her house Cheese soon calmed down and is now one of the most loving cats you could imagine! Shes always snuggled with Gerti somewhere in the house or more recently following Doc around the house and play fighting hehe.

By the way im not implying TC is fighty lol but in our case gettin a new addition to the family really helped Cheese and shes never been happier  :shy: :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 14:38:11 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, sbunnie.  I know that cats grieve too and I'm sure that's what TC is doing.  How old is he and how long were he and Slinky together?

Welcome to Purrs, by the way.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sbunnie

• Kitten
Should I get TC a new companion?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 14:02:46 PM »
Hi

I recently lost my lovely cat Slinky to cancer a couple of weeks ago. Her companion TC has become very vocal (he used to leave all the miaowing to her!) and doesn't seem to want me out of his sight.  I don't know whether it would be a good idea to get another friend for him.  He's getting on a bit so don't think a kitten would be a good idea but maybe another older cat?  Has anyone got any opinions? 

Sue

Link to CatChat