Author Topic: Lucy - under Desley's wing!  (Read 15216 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Lucy - under Desley's wing!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 19:21:51 PM »
She is lovely Ellie, one of the few friendly torties I have met!! Kelly hadn't heard from her bro when I spoke to her this morning (always a good sign!!), he met one of her two yesterday and was fine - but they are both female, and Tom does like his ladies - on the next street, there are 2 males and a female, and he would only ever beat up the males, he never touched the female!!
Trust me Gill, she looks worse than all the pics you have posted of Sasa!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 19:13:39 PM »
I think the pictuires must be deceptive cos to me she still looks Sasa size lol, I think she is sooooo gorggeous bu must admit Sasa can get through some small places and also through the cat flap without any problem. Its only when I see her outside that she looks smaller and she grooms herself very well considering I cant touch her...........18months and counting...........and she gets rid of all her matts! and clumps and anything that gets caught in her fur.

Being white also she would show if she was dirty at all. Apart from fur all over the house, she is amazing .

Anyway back to Lucy, I love her

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 19:12:55 PM »
Yep she beats Smokey  :evillaugh: she is lovely though

Thanks for the treat tip I shall have a look in PAH tomorrow  ;)

Have you heard anything about Tom yet?

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007, 19:01:47 PM »
She looks happy, contented and gorgeoous; nothing much wrong with her!

Bob

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2007, 17:45:34 PM »
Christine - I have never seen a bigger cat than her, and I made the mistake of picking her up earlier, a lot heavier than Tom, so with how long it took to get him to lose some weight, I dont expect her weight to suddenly drop off, and I bet she is still here in the summer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 17:39:05 PM »
She is beautiful and, after all the negative PR  :scared:, I was expecting something bigger. I grant you she is not exactly size zero but I reckon with good diet and exercise, she'll be fine before long.

This is meant to be supportive and chivvying, not critical, BTW  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 17:32:03 PM »
Yeah - and a normal size head!!

I think so too Ellie - here are a couple of pics taken after our play session, and one taken after I clipped her claws, she wasn't impressed, and poor Patches was getting worked up with her growling, he kept coming up and tapping her!! They do give something to compare her size too

They are from PAH, they did 4 bags of treats for £3, and I was a sucker!! The light ones are the only ones that have been touched though!! I even got some senior ones for the girls. And she gets Senior/Light JWB for her supper, so after I did her claws, I pinched 2 from her supper ration to pacify her.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 17:35:09 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 17:22:22 PM »
My she is big but have a gorgeous face  :Luv:

I think she is bigger than Smokey  :evillaugh:

What are the light cat treats you have? I feel bad that Smokey can't have any and my two do  :-:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 15:12:33 PM »
I was lucky, she only swiped at me once, the rest of the time she would growl, and then just move herself onto the other side when she realised I wasn't going to stop!! I would hope the vet said something, but it must have fallen on deaf ears - unless that was part of the reaso she let Lucy go rather than the oldest.

Yeah, you really do. Will try and get pics that show it more (i.e. in the cat bed so there is something to compare her too!!). Patches is feeling really thin after I stroke her, I am sure he isn't that bed, it jsut seems it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 14:56:47 PM »
She had a hissy fit at me everytime I tried to clean her back end. The vet MUST'VE said something - its unethical to allow a cat to get to that size and as a professional not say anything.

I had tried to show how large she was - but I'm sure Desley can vouch - you have to see her to believe it!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 14:53:40 PM »
Yeah, there could be that Susanne - to me, what they have done is cruelty, she can't reach near her back end to clean herself, and doesn't like you doing it either. I did groom her for a short while earlier, it was actually quite amusing, as she was growling away, and Patches kept coming to see and miaowing to her!! She got 2 light cat treats (what a bonus getting those from PAH last week), so will reduce her supper to accomodate that, and hopefully if she gets a treat or two at the end of each groom, she will resign herself to it that bit more. She has incredibly pale green eyes though, dont think I have seen cats with such pale eyes before.
I do hope so Saffy
Please spay your cat

saffron

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
What a beautiful cat & I'm sure in your care Desley she will loose the flab. 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
Unless of course the vets did and the owners just dismissed it!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »
Cheers for that, I couldn't remember the story for the life of me!! I can't believe her vets would shave the cat for her with no reference to her weight - unless of course she was even heavier!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
Her owner was moving to look after a sick relative who was allergic to cats hence only taking one. No mention of the cat being overweight at all - although when I picked her up she said that she had taken her to get her back end shaved recently - never twigged what she meant til I got home - I can't believe her vets hadn't gone mad at her! She can't reach round to clean  - its such a shame cos she is absolutely gorgeous!

And yes, she has lost weight since being here -  she had started going up and down stairs and also chases shadows on the carpet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
Yep, thats the worry Christine - but then not all cats in households are overweight - my neighbour has a fat cat, but her other cat isn't. I hope I can get her to start shedding - she has lost some according to Kelly,
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »
She's beautiful; and I'm sure she'll be much more so when the weight starts to come off. Good luck helping her with her dieting, Desley! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
If s/he is six years older, maybe s/he had six more years to be overfed? Anyway, Lucy has a beautiful face even if she is on the matronly side.  I'm sure the weight will gradually fall off her when she starts doing more exercise. I hope so, anyway.

Good luck!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
Yeah, I suppose it was. I sometimes wonder if we woud have been better with the oldie, but who knows what condition that was in?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »
she thought she would take the eldest out of the two, as it would be harder to home a 12yo than a 6yo, just forgot to mention how overweight Lucy was - unless she was blind to it of course.

That is nice though isn't it many people would want to keep the youngest.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 08:52:06 AM »
I dont know Susanne, they failed to tell us that she was overweight!! She is a pretty cat despite her weight, I do hope that we can get some of it off her!! Gill, if she looks like Sasa's size, the pic is very deceiving, she is as wide as the carrier door in places. If I had to guess weight wise, it would be similar to Tom when he first came, which was 8.96kg.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 00:19:40 AM »
A tubby tortie, what a surprise LOL. She is gorgeouse and looks a bit like Sasas size but Sasa has long fur and much to my amazenent only weighed about 5kg  or was it 5,5 lol, last check up.

Sasa doesnt look flabby just solid  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 23:17:19 PM »
oh gosh - she is big!  I don't know why some people let their cats get that big.  Do you know if her former owners were trying to do anything about her weight?  Still, if anyone can get the excess weight off her it's you, Desley.  Despite her size she is a very pretty cat.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 22:21:49 PM »
I know, and I thought Tom was big!! You should see how she looks when she sits, as she actually has a normal sized head, will try and get a pic of her sitting tomorrow. We will find out on Thurs how much she weighs - I do have scales, but not sure they are that accurate for cats, they didn't say the same as the vets for Finn!! She will be 7 in June according to her vacc card - she was taken every year for boosters, I am really surprised at her vet practice, we obviously dont know how she got that big, the reason she came to us was cos her owner had to move in somewhere (Kelly will have to explain better), and could only take one of her cats - she thought she would take the eldest out of the two, as it would be harder to home a 12yo than a 6yo, just forgot to mention how overweight Lucy was - unless she was blind to it of course.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 22:16:44 PM »
Oh dear what a big girl you are Lucy. Beautiful markings but hooooooge. How much does she weigh Desley, how old is she and what's the story of how she got that big?  Talk about killing with kindness.

Better get her chasing the wiggly waggleys pretty soon!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 19:17:46 PM »
Well, she is here now, and miles worse than Tom was, no idea how I am going to tackle this one, I have never seen such an overweight cat in the flesh - esp as she is sharing a room with Patches at the mo and he could do with gaining a bit!! I am going to attempt to integrate her, and allow her outdoor access as I did with Tom, or she has no chance of losing weight at all!! She isn't actually a semi-long hair, she looks it from certain angles, but it is really just the flab that makes it look like that. Fortunately for me, she is nice tempered, which is unusual for me, I dont normally get to meet nice torties!!
Liz - my two are girls, and they are definitely challenging!!

Pics

Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 15:36:17 PM »
I'm sure she will have you retrained in no time Des and afterall you seem to need the challange of another lady cats after all these boys! ;)

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 14:37:06 PM »
having to live up to people thinking I will do a good job with Lucy!!

Well, it's always good to have performance targets, Desley  :evillaugh:

Seriously, good luck with Lucy!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
WEll, I will be setting off in 45 mins to go and meet Kelly and do the swap - feel a bit nervous about it strangely enough. Not sure if the nervousness is letting Tom go or having to live up to people thinking I will do a good job with Lucy!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:20:53 AM »
That's great news about Tom  ;D

I am sure you will be successful Desley :) and you can give me some tips for Smokey  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »
That sounds like a good arrangement.  And I'm glad Tom has found himself a home.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:18:22 AM »
sounds like Lucy and Tom both end up winners, which is great.  Shame about little Poppy but am sure she'll find someone who has been waiting for a cat like her.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 07:04:05 AM »
I am glad I have been able to see her pic again, couldn't find the old one. Lets hope Tom wasn't just a one off with his weight (I wasn't actually as successful wtih getting Ginger to lose weight as I was Tom!!), and Lucy can lose some here. And that a semi-longhaired cat wont be a prob with my asthma. I will be booking Lucy in for a weigh in on Mon, so the vet can say just how much she needs to lose (am hoping her fur accounts for some of her weight!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 19:19:35 PM »
I'm glad Tom is going to have a permanent home at last, that's great news.

And I look forward to the story of Lucy's Diet as it unfolds - good luck, Desley

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 18:39:09 PM »
Lucy is gorgeous and yes I can see that jelly belly  :rofl:

I do hope that Tom will be happy , he deserves a good home  ;D

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
Lucy - under Desley's wing!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 18:01:52 PM »
Well, me and Desley both have cats that are not best suited to our environments for one reason or another so this weekend we will both be having new/different fosters.

I currently foster Lucy, a huge monster of a cat who really is a beauty but I'm struggling to get her weight down. Desley was so successful with Tom that we've decided she is better qualified to help this little (big!) one.

Lucy really is gorgeous! She's a semi long haired tortie who loves attention, isn't mad on my resident Archie, but loves snuggles and fusses - she really is going to make a fantastic companion when she's lost weight.

In order for Lucy to move to Desley's, and to help poor old Tom, he will be moving in with my brother - he has a huge house with plenty of space for Tom to enjoy his older years. He also has 2 middle aged ladies, Holly and Scrabble (age 10) who will welcome Tom with open paws!

As for us here - Poppy is on her way back when I can arrange a time best for everyone and I'm still trying to get in contact with a lady who has 2 cats she wants us to take on.

So that is CAT77's fosterers as we stand! I'm sure Des will fill you in on how Lucy settles in when she goes on Saturday!

And for those of you who missed my original post on Lucy - here she is!

Link to CatChat