Author Topic: Cardiomyopathy  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Cardiomyopathy
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
I havent heard anything back from the breeder herself but her friends have contacted me.  No post mortem was done on the stud cat so no definative answer as to what killed him, I have been told that the breeder is taking steps to move forward from this now.  A post mortem on the stud cat would have been the right way to go but it's all too late for that now but atleast through Abi's sad story I have highlighted the condition and hopefully, the importance of testing breeding stock and having post mortems done should, god forbid, something go wrong.
None of this will bring dear little Abi back and I still have to wait and see what the governing bodies have to say on the matter.  Perhaps it's time to let the anger and hurt pass and move on with the knowledge that some good may come from this.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 22:50:43 PM »
Hi Gillian, the vet did give Abi diuretics etc and tried to drain the fluid off but the fluid was not clearing from her lungs and she took a turn for the worst, I know I wouldnt like to be struggling for breath as Abi was over that period of time.
As for the breeder not knowing until the death of the stud cat, that may be the case but I find it hard to beleive, He died last year and she never contacted the woman who had bought Abi, who in turn would have let Emma know.

Ah I can see why, if the fluid wasnt dispersing, nothing else could be done  - so sad  :hug:

Yes, the breeder certainly should have let the woman who bought Abi know - having spoken to her, do you think she is going to inform other owners who've bought kittens previously from her? Perhaps she'll have learnt her lesson and will be testing any subsequent studs and any current breeding queens - heres hoping anyway.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 20:14:19 PM »
Hi Gillian, the vet did give Abi diuretics etc and tried to drain the fluid off but the fluid was not clearing from her lungs and she took a turn for the worst, I know I wouldnt like to be struggling for breath as Abi was over that period of time.
As for the breeder not knowing until the death of the stud cat, that may be the case but I find it hard to beleive, He died last year and she never contacted the woman who had bought Abi, who in turn would have let Emma know.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 19:36:59 PM »
Sorry about Abi :hug: I'm a bit shocked as to why her vet pts? fluid build up with HCM and even DCM, is serious, but it can be drained off and cats can be given diuretics to prevent build up again, along with fortekor usually, but perhaps she developed a blood clot, as can sometimes happen with HCM?.  My Sam was diagnosed with HCM, last Aug, with similar - laboured breathing and fluid build up and he had the fluid drained off and is doing ok at the moment. Sam is persian and HCM is in the persian breed as well. He is 11 and its likely in his case its hereditary, but it often doesnt come to light until late on, so his breeder had no idea at the time that it was in some of her lines. Sam was diagnosed with x-rays and ultrasound.

If Abi's breeder only found out last year after Abi's father died from HCM, then she may not have known when she rehomed Abi and the litter's he sired, that there was HCM in the lines? Of course, now she does know, she should inform owners of the possibility, so that they can have the kittens/cats tested,  although it doesnt mean that all kittens sired by him will have HCM. I think there is a gene test that breeders can do now for HCM?

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 19:10:02 PM »
Sorry to hear what has happened to your friend  :hug: could you appeal in the local paper for people who have brought from these breeders?
Iv just paid all of £30 for an ultrasound for one of mine (not for hcm), diagnosis doesnt have to be expensive, afterall if these people really love their breed every penny would be worth it wouldnt it

I totally agree.

The thing about an advert is that it would probably have to be nationwide, the breeder is in the Bradford area and some of the cats/kittens have been sold onto other breeders and show people.  I would also have to be very careful about advertising for legal implications.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 19:04:21 PM »
Sorry to hear what has happened to your friend  :hug: could you appeal in the local paper for people who have brought from these breeders?
Iv just paid all of £30 for an ultrasound for one of mine (not for hcm), diagnosis doesnt have to be expensive, afterall if these people really love their breed every penny would be worth it wouldnt it

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 18:58:51 PM »
Yes, I believe the breeder was the contacted immediately.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 18:52:44 PM »
Has your friend informed the breeder etc?  I feel it's important to do so as our, the punter, moral obligation.  As long as these things go unreported then unhealthy cats will continue to be bred from, sadly that seems to be the case at times when it is reported but we cannt just do nothing.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 18:46:49 PM »
My friends Savannah has recently been diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy. He's only a baby too .. a year and a couple of months  :(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 18:32:24 PM »
Poor Abi R.I.P.

WQe lost Oscar nearly a year ago to cardiomyopathy - he was a Birman. There was no history of it in his bloodline , he was just very unlucky. Like Abi tho he did go down very very quickly , which is apparently not uncommon.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 18:26:48 PM »
Poor baby, I hope she too informed the breeder etc.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 16:52:30 PM »
I think the raggie was lost to FIP

Elaine pass our thoughts to Emma and family

I wonder do cats operate a suystem similar to ISDS for Dogs where if you have a parent you can trace family tree - Sky our Collies is wonderful have to say we go back 9 generations at least!

Minmin our raggie has a pink slip so will see what it advises and let you know
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 16:47:54 PM »
it was Mootah - although she doesn't say what she lost her to

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 16:46:29 PM »
I'd apreciate it if you could point me in the direction of the other person who lost a young ragdoll recently.
I think there are more in it for the money than we'd like to beleive.  The more breeders i talk to and get to know the less i respect any of them.  I dare say that there are those who genuinely are in it to better their breed etc but I fear they are very much in the minority.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 16:40:17 PM »
it's understandable - sadly some people are only in it for the money and not the development of the breed   :hug:

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 16:37:20 PM »
It seems to me that there is very little monitoring done amongst the registered breeders either.  Sorry if that sounds harsh but I am so angry and upset that everything is just a little raw at the moment.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 16:34:28 PM »
I'm sure it does occur with registered breeders, my worry is there are so many unregistered that nobody is monitoring

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 16:33:05 PM »
This is a registered breeder.  Very sadly for us we dont have her papers as the previous owner had lost them :-: So unless others report their loss to FAB and GCCF, there is very little we can do.  From what I understand the test for HCM can often be inconclusive unless an ultrasound is done.  This ofcourse can be costly but I think if people claim to be ethical and responsible breeders then they should pay for this to be done.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 16:23:54 PM »
That is so sad - RIP Abi - play hard at the Bridge sweetheart xxx

A lot of breeders are now testing for HCM and if a stud or queen is found to be positive they are retired.  I have got 4 Bengals and the breeders test all their cats for HCM and FELV and FIV.  I think that any breeders who are not testing should not be allowed to breed because in my mind they are breeding lots of heartache.

TBH Dawn some kittens I have heard of with HCM are from registered breeders  :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 16:20:10 PM »
sorry to hear this sad story - didn't somebody join recently who had lost a ragdoll at a very young age?  sadly people selling unregistered kittens isn't going to help the situation

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
Cardiomyopathy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 16:08:53 PM »
Before I begin, please bear with me as it may get a little complicated.
I am a member of several cat forums and last year helped with the rescue of 2 ragdolls from Edinburgh, my friend, Emma, took the cats on, originally as a foster but then the owner asked her if she would be happy to keep them.  Ofcourse Emma had fallen in love with them and was delighted.  We knew one of them was a latent carrier of the caliche virus.  Both came from different breeders.  The other went from breeder to breeder before being sold to the woman in Edinburgh.  Thats the general background.
On saturday night my friend Emma called me to say that she was a little concerned about Abi, one of the cats.  I asked all relevant questions, was she eating, toileting, vomitting etc.  Emma said that she ok in all those departments but that she just didnt seem quite herself, I told her to keep an eye on her and if she was worried to call the vet.  An hour later Emma called to say that her breathing had become laboured.  I told her to call the emergency vet right away.  I rushed up there, picked Abi up and got her to the vet.  He did xrays, her lungs were filling with fluid and he suspected cardiomyopathy.  Abiu was pts early sunday morning.  Leaving us all very shocked and upset.  We couldnt understand why a healthy young cat had become so seriously ill in the matter of a few hours and dead by next morning.  Abi was only 2 years old, she had been spayed 7 months ago and no murmers or anything had come to light.
I contacted who I thought was the breeder to inform them of the situation, I was informed by this breeder that she want the original breeder but would pass on the details, she assured mke that this was not a hereditary condition and could have been caused by poor diet.  She also assured me that no other cats/kittens had died in the same manner as Abi and that it was just oe of those things.
I assure you that Abi did not have a poor diet and was not taurine deficient, I also make it my business to get as clued up as I can about things when I feel all is not right with the world.
I am sure you will probably not be surprised to learn that cardiomyopathy IS hereditary and that there is a mutant gene in the ragdoll breed.  I also located the original breeder only to discover that Abi's father died last year of a similar heart complaint at the age of 5 years.  He has fathered at least 4 litters and i find it very difficult to beleive that all of those cats are still with us.  Also Abi's sister is now up for rehoming, she had been kept for use as a breeding queen.
I have contacted both of the breeders, as I feel that they have a moral obligation to have informed owners and other breeders who have cats from this bloodline of what has happened.  I have also contacted the Feline Advice Bureau, the Brittish Ragdoll Cat Club and the GCCF but sadly I do not have enough proof unless others come forward who have experienced the same sad story that I tell.  I am sick to the pit of my stomache that these breeders can call themselves ethical.

Link to CatChat