Author Topic: Raw feeding - meat supplier  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Raw feeding - meat supplier
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 18:11:02 PM »
it's me really Gillian

I'm a vegetarian so all that meat was a bit too much for me - I did put down a little of each pack but no joy - although it wasn't their usual meal time so it probably wasn't a fair test

for £10 though it looked to be very good value for money
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 17:52:26 PM »
I was phoned back and told as long as it was still cold I could refreeze it :shocked:

doesn't really matter now as they won't eat it raw or cooked, and even Tosker took the one mouthful just to be obliging :rofl:

I've dumped the lot in a field for the foxes - high time I learned that experiments with food are a waste of money :-[

Have you tried them with all the varieties in the taster pack? surely you havent dumped the lot just because they didnt take to one variety immediately? Don't forget, its a new food, cats are often suspicious when you put new stuff in front of them, some will take to it straight away, but others need a bit more time. With those cats, I just put a tiny amount alongside their normal food, gradually increasing the amounts.

The thawing, its happens with the small packs (like the taster pack) but its fine to re-freeze. The larger packs stay frozen longer though.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 17:29:11 PM »
I was phoned back and told as long as it was still cold I could refreeze it :shocked:

doesn't really matter now as they won't eat it raw or cooked, and even Tosker took the one mouthful just to be obliging :rofl:

I've dumped the lot in a field for the foxes - high time I learned that experiments with food are a waste of money :-[
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 16:57:33 PM »
I would definately write to that company cos they are contraveningg the health standards of food if they are doing that.

I was told not to feed dry and raw together as they digest at different speeds.

Cats dont need to snack all day, did see an interesting paper on if this contributes to diabetes, will have a look for it

Quite agree, there is no need for cats to have food available all day - this is not how they would eat in the wild, they do not 'graze' as some people seem to think - cows graze, horses graze - cats do not. In the wild they may eat several small meals (depending on how much they've caught), but some days will be better hunting days than others - there isnt a constant supply 'on tap'. OK our cats are not in the wild now - BUT they still have the same digestive systems they've always had.

Sorry but my cats graze  :rofl: :rofl: I just wish I could get Ducha to bloomin eat something else than biscuits, none of them will eat raw food.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 15:20:23 PM »
I have just received the £10 taster pack from Back to Nature, and everything is 80% thawed

I imagine it is not safe to refreeze, and can only get an answer phone from the company to check

so I will have to cook it all and hope they eat it - it's a shame because Tosker enjoyed a bit of the raw rabbit mince
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 23:23:41 PM »
I put dry food down at night, and because Tiff is very greedy, and all the time she lived next door in a porch she had her food only at night, I measure out one and a half cat's daily ration, so that she won't get more than a day's ration, as the other two do eat some of it  - anything left in the morning I chuck away

then I slip Trigger and Tosker extra during the day if they ask

I don't know how else to arrange it - Trigger is a thin cat, and Tiffany is a fat cat, and Tosker is a timid cat, and I find juggling their different needs rather difficult
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 22:29:13 PM »

Cats dont need to snack all day, did see an interesting paper on if this contributes to diabetes, will have a look for it

Quite agree, there is no need for cats to have food available all day - this is not how they would eat in the wild, they do not 'graze' as some people seem to think - cows graze, horses graze - cats do not. In the wild they may eat several small meals (depending on how much they've caught), but some days will be better hunting days than others - there isnt a constant supply 'on tap'. OK our cats are not in the wild now - BUT they still have the same digestive systems they've always had.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 21:54:52 PM »
Human digestive systems are poor compared to that of a cat which is designed to eat raw meat, they have a shorter digestive tract and stronger stomach juices so less of a problem to them. You also have to consider freshness, a mousey caught and eaten wont have time to grow bacteria so handling of raw meats by us needs to be efficient.
I dont feed pork, there is a cyst that can be a problem in the meat but mainly i avoid because its fatty, rich and hard to find it produced to high welfare standards

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 21:02:03 PM »
as expected Tiff didn't even appear to realise that a lump of raw turkey meat was food - Tosker ate it with relish though - Trigger has yet to rise from my bed to be tested :innocent:

what about the risks from salmonella in uncooked meat though? we are always warned to cook poultry and pork thoroughly - why is this not the same for animal consumption?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 19:34:50 PM »
I also wonder if you make the effort to feed a good percent of the diet raw if you then give a reasonable amount of dry does it make it more null and void  :-:

and in any case dry is the only food which can be left down for any length of time

Flies crawl over dry food as well  :sick:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
last question promise!  if they eat a good dry as well you don't need to worry about adding taurine or anything is that right?

that's why I would prefer to go half and half - and in any case dry is the only food which can be left down for any length of time
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
last question promise!  if they eat a good dry as well you don't need to worry about adding taurine or anything is that right?

As far as I know Dawn the meat from Back to Nature is "complete" anyway - it contains meat, organs and bone in the correct quantities :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 21:47:40 PM »
you could be right - here she is - like a coiled spring ready to pounce at any minute

Hmm, I'm afraid to say you definitely have a wild cat there :rofl:

Seriously though, I'd love to know how she gets on - and Tosker - I'm fascinated by the difference in the monsters since we started the raw diet!  :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 21:44:01 PM »
you could be right - here she is - like a coiled spring ready to pounce at any minute

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 21:07:58 PM »
thanks - I'll try that - I'll have to chop everything up very finely though, as Tiff, for all her gargantuan girth, is a very dainty eater :innocent:

:evillaugh: bless her, she might surprise you and turn into a wild beast like my three  :shify:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 20:41:37 PM »
thanks - I'll try that - I'll have to chop everything up very finely though, as Tiff, for all her gargantuan girth, is a very dainty eater :innocent:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 20:25:38 PM »
I've got some raw turkey in the freezer - I intended to eat it myself :( - but I'll try it on them

I have Tosker as well now, so he might be keener - Tiff is probably a lost cause, as she has only ever eaten dry and tuna

Trigger, try drizzling some tuna juice over the meat - I found the kittens didn't seem to be able to smell the meat at first so this may help  ;)

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 20:22:42 PM »
I've just paid using Paypal
Excellent, guess where i'm going  ;D

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 20:15:26 PM »
My three kittens have been on a raw diet (from Food4-Cats) for a few weeks now, and absolutely love it  ;D the Whiskas used to get licked but never eaten, although just the jelly seemed to be enough to cause the most horrendous deposits in the litter trays  :sick:

Since they've been eating raw, the smell has all but vanished ;D they purr all the way through their meals now, and growl at each other for coming too close :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 18:51:16 PM »
I've got some raw turkey in the freezer - I intended to eat it myself :( - but I'll try it on them

I have Tosker as well now, so he might be keener - Tiff is probably a lost cause, as she has only ever eaten dry and tuna
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 18:33:46 PM »
Yes I think the paypal link was disabled for a while,  then it came back.

Have you tried raw turkey from the supermarket or butcher Trigger? its usually a winner! Morrisons do turkey thigh chunks which mine go mad for.  ;D . 100g sounds about right for half a day's serving, depends on the cat really.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 18:22:35 PM »
I've just paid using Paypal
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 18:11:36 PM »

Did you try your cats with the Food 4 Cats taster pack Molly?
Nah, i wanted to use the paypal facility but it isn't up & running yet (or wasn't when i last tried) I am a bit cautious after being subject to online fraud  :sick:
I do wanna try it tho  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 17:58:29 PM »
I have ordered a taster  pack - thanks for the link, Gillian

as I have failed to interest mine in raw beef mince for people, or raw chicken wings, I am not hopeful - but if they will eat some, and I feed a premium dry food too, can you advise me what amount of raw would constitute half the daily food ration? I am guessing around 100gms?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 17:15:48 PM »
Mine hated Prize Choice/Natures Menu frozen meats - I tried them when I first starting feeding raw about 4 yrs or so ago and they were a no go!

I  recommend the Food 4 Cats meats, the mince variets are so much more meaty and the chunks are a real winner, especially the pork tongue!

Did you try your cats with the Food 4 Cats taster pack Molly?

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 17:07:28 PM »
I feed Prize Choice (from pets at home) beef mince. £3.99 for 2kg. It works out at 20p per 100g. Hope that helps hon  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 15:11:29 PM »
so that seems to work out quite a bit cheaper than feeding pouches - my three that eat wet have two pouches each per day which is 200g each per day and that works our at roughly £2.40 per day  :Crazy: and £70 odd per month

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 15:06:39 PM »
The different meats vary per kilo - here's the site with all the prices http://food4-cats.co.uk/ - for instance the chicken variety mince is £1.10 for approx 1 kilo (but is delivered in approx 400g ish packs). Havent really worked out per serving, some of mine will eat around 50g each meal (twice a day), others will eat about 100g, piggies will eat 150g  :evillaugh: Its all very approximate because I don't weigh it out, just dollop according to each one's appetite!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 14:00:08 PM »
sorry to bring this up yet again but I'm trying to get my head around the finances - how much does roughly work out per serving????

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 00:30:05 AM »
Thanks for the link. I will be ordering the taster pk.  :) I have searching for a while for sellers who deliver in the Northwest.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 19:38:45 PM »
they like human mince much better

:scared:

:rofl:

I found a bit of lead shot in a pigeon before, i squish the chunks before giving them just incase  :tired:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 20:01:22 PM »
Be careful with the Rabbit Gillian because I found lead pellets in it (I presume from when the Rabbit was shot  :sick:)

Do you know, that hadnt even occurred to me  :doh: too late now! Mind you, they've had Woldsway wild rabbit before and I didnt check that either, but they don't seem to have come to any harm!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
Be careful with the Rabbit Gillian because I found lead pellets in it (I presume from when the Rabbit was shot  :sick:)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 20:00:52 PM »
LOL!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 19:50:45 PM »
they like human mince much better

:scared:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 19:53:42 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 19:44:58 PM »
This meat is so much - well...meatier!

I got a taster box for £10 (no p&p and refundable on first order)  which had a selection of every product, I think there were 8 varieties in all - 450g or so each. So far we've tried the ox cheek, rabbit, chicken minces and the wild rabbit chunks (bone in) and they've all liked every flavour! Gonna try the lamb tomorrow, reckon that'll go down well too.  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 19:14:06 PM »
Thanks Gillian, i had the same probs with anglian minces, they like human mince much better

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 16:30:16 PM »
I've tried the anglian mince and thought the same - might give this a go

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Raw feeding - meat supplier
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 16:26:46 PM »
Yeoman's Meats have supplied pet meat to raw feeders since the 70s I think, but the company was sold last year and is now known as Back to Nature. Still supplying the same pet meats, but also planning to widen the range apparently. I'd never actually tried mine with Yeoman's, but I know a lot of breeders use the products. I think when I first started feeding raw I tried some frozen minces (from Anglian Meat Products/Natures Menu) and my lot didnt take to them at all. The minces, once thawed, seemed a really sloppy texture and quite watery - not really meaty enough, so I think that put me off trying frozen meats again.

Anyway I thought I'd give the Yeoman's products a try - and they have gone down a treat! They do a range of products, and each mix contains everything needed for raw diet, that is, the bones, organs plus the muscle meat of course.

http://www.back-2-nature.co.uk/

Link to CatChat