Author Topic: DESPERATE - CATS FACING EUTHANASIA, STOKE-ON-TRENT (Uknown Outcome)  (Read 2736 times)

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
DESPERATE - CATS FACING EUTHANASIA, STOKE-ON-TRENT (Uknown Outcome)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »
I am cross posting this from CatChat on behalf of Pawprints Animal Rescue. Hope somebody can help in some way. Many thanks.

'i have run pawprints, a small cat rescue (with a few other species) for the last 10 years. the cats are rehomed vaccinated, neutered and microchipped into homechecked homes with follow up support given whenever needed.

last year i dealt with a situation of around 80 cats, mostly pedigrees, living in awful conditions, with severely underweight cats, cat flu, diahorrea, earmites and ringworm. most of the animals were taken in by breed rescues to whom i am eternally grateful, but i now have, despite isolation and barrier nursing, a ringworm outbreak amongst 56 cats. currently 32 of them have ringworm. it is not one of the worst forms of ringworm - i am seeing one or two patches of hariloss of about 5 to 10 pence in size, but it is VERY contagious.

the cost of funding treatment of ALL the cats, which is what would be required, works out at about £100 per week and with the numbers of cats being high could be needed for a year or more as the ringworm circulates, therefore amounting to around £5200 a year. i was already struggling to fund the rescue with carboot sales, ebay, raffles etc.. the difficulties of isolating so many cats (which i haven't got facilities for), and getting the ringworm spores out of the environment will be a hugely difficult task. i run the rescue from home which makes trying to keep everything ringworm free really difficult.

myself and my vet have contacted the manufacturers and suppliers of ringworm medications and treatments to try and get some donated, but have had little response.

i have been advised by a number of people that i will have to have many of the cats euthanased to try to control the outbreak. i have many feral, semi-feral, nervous, old and health issue cats who live here on a permanent basis, but 20 are beautiful, affectionate and certainly homeable cats. if anyone out there is able to take even one of these cats it will help all the others who are here and at risk of infection. some of the homeable cats are not showing any signs of ringworm, but may be carrying or incubating it, and some already have it. there is also a diahorrea issue with some of the cats due to them carrying giardia which again can be carried by cats who show no symptoms and who, once mixed with the main group have spread the infection. that has been a nightmare to deal with too.

i have never been through such problems. i have always been aware that with letting the cats live together any contagious conditions could spread and through careful isolation upon arrival over the last 10 years i have avoided such problems. i care for these animals deeply and euthansia seems an impossible option, but without reducing the number of cats i will not get control of the ringworm and the cats will suffer which is not an option either.

please, can anyone who has somewhere to isolate a cat, and can afford to treat the ringworm if the cat already has it, and treat for it on a preventative basis in case they are incubating it, take some cats or even one cat. i am desperate. i cannot fund treating such a big outbreak, or isolate properly. i am trying every option i can. i can transport any cat/cats.

i am desperate. i hope someone out there can help.

faye'
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:25:51 AM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat