Author Topic: Suckling from other cat - added video  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Suckling from other cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 20:14:42 PM »
Managed to get a video.  :) If you turn the sound up (and ignore the telly) you can hear Penguin purr :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 21:32:38 PM »
I suspect so Beth, Smidgen was the last kitten to leave his mum so got to be an only child for a while - it shows ...

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 21:29:32 PM »
When I got Macey at 8 weeks old, she became friends with Ollie and would suckle him. She would suckle him anywhere she could, his neck, head and well just anywhere really lol I think it was done as a comfort thing.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 20:48:22 PM »
smidgen suckled esther when he first arrived - but then she was still lactating from her last litter, and he was recently separated from his mum (albeit 17 weeks old). She was quite happy to let him do it, but i discouraged it as I did not want her running into problems as a result. He got over it in all of about 2 days ...

I'm guessing that because Penguin was with her Mum until 11 weeks she may have still been suckling from her mum when she came to me, so maybe it's more ingrained the longer they stay with mum? :-:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 20:47:33 PM »
my Jimmy and Teddy (littermates) suckled each other when they first came.  now Teddy sucks her own paw and Jimmy suckles Fat Andy.  Fat Andy only lets Jimmy and Shenzy suckle but she'll plonk her paw down on any passing feline and give them a good wash.  she'd have made a lovely mum if i'd have let her  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 20:37:06 PM »
smidgen suckled esther when he first arrived - but then she was still lactating from her last litter, and he was recently separated from his mum (albeit 17 weeks old). She was quite happy to let him do it, but i discouraged it as I did not want her running into problems as a result. He got over it in all of about 2 days ...

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 20:30:07 PM »
My Dragan used to do this with Guinness.  I even rang the vet to check and he said it was ok so long as Guinness didn't mind and didn't get sore.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 20:28:05 PM »
Just be careful that it doesn't cause Ginny to get sores or inflammation,.
She didn't actually find a teat, was just rooting around in her belly fur looking for one ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 20:26:56 PM »
Just be careful that it doesn't cause Ginny to get sores or inflammation,.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Suckling from other cat - added video
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 20:18:45 PM »
Awwwwww :Luv2: my kittens are so cute. They were both snuggled up asleep earlier and i couldn't resist saying hello to them both, stated giving Ginny a belly rub so she rolled over to show off more belly :evillaugh: when penguin suddenly started rooting around searching for a teat :shocked: she was pawing at Ginny and everything, thankfully Ginny didn't seem phased, and just jet her get on with it. :Luv: I'm pretty sure i saw Penguin do the same a few days ago too, so it seems to be a habit for her.

Anyone else had kittens do this?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 20:15:02 PM by Beth »

Link to CatChat